PDA

View Full Version : Syntace P6 Seatpost

jblande
08-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Is anyone out there using the Syntace P6 Seatpost? I am curious how much setback the post provides. It looks like an interesting adjustment mechanism, but I am not sure I can get far enough back.

Many thanks,

JBL

Z3c
08-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I have one; it is a great mechanism, very easy to use and micro adjust the tilt. Not sure how much setback it has, their site probably offers this detail.

ksroadie
08-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Been using the carbon version of the Syntace P6 for a few years now without any problems, and I'm 190+ lbs. A very strong post, and the best clamp mechanism out there. Fore/aft range is substantial, guess at least 25mm of adjustment depending on the saddle.

michael white
08-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I have one too, I use it and never think about it. not much setback, less than an inch, but enough for me.

AngryScientist
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=1231

that website gives a ton of dimensions, the ones in the picture near the bottom should tell you what you need to know about setback...

Dave
08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Not much setback from what I see. A common setback post might have the front of the clamp at the centerline of the post. With a 40mm long clamp, that's considered 20mm of setback. That post looks like it might be 10mm.

jblande
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Thank you everyone for the help.

ksroadie
08-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Not sure what Dave is referencing, but for anyone contemplating a Syntace post there is more than 10mm of setback (assuming your saddle rails aren't freakishly short). Have a SMP saddle is mounted dead center on mine, and there is another 25mm of aft range and 10mm fore. And the bottom rail bed insert is reversible, which could give me a forward offset of 25mm for a tt position as well.

Just sayin'...would hate to see someone reject such a good seat post if they assumed there wasn't much setback.

Dave
08-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Not sure what Dave is referencing, but for anyone contemplating a Syntace post there is more than 10mm of setback (assuming your saddle rails aren't freakishly short). Have a SMP saddle is mounted dead center on mine, and there is another 25mm of aft range and 10mm fore. And the bottom rail bed insert is reversible, which could give me a forward offset of 25mm for a tt position as well.

Just sayin'...would hate to see someone reject such a good seat post if they assumed there wasn't much setback.

So you don't really understand the subject, but you're claiming I'm incorrect? The saddle rails have nothing to do with seatpost setback.

The maximum seatpost setback is determined by the location of the front of the clamp, relative to the centerline of the seat post. As I noted in my previous post, it's common for the front of the clamp to be at least as far back as the centerline. The actual setback amount that you see advertised is measured to the center of the clamp area. This doesn't really define the maximum setback, since all clamps are not the same length. For example, two posts could have an advertised setback of 20mm, but if one has a 30mm clamp length and the other has 50mm, the shorter 30mm clamp will allow the saddle to be pushed back 10mm further.

What you really need to do is eyeball the front of the clamp. From what I can see, the front of the clamp is well ahead of the seatpost centerline. That's not a lot of setback. Personally, I want 25-32mm of setback, with no more than a 40mm clamp length. That makes the front of the clamp 5-12mm behind the centerline of the seatpost.