PDA

View Full Version : Springtime in DC; a Kirk, a Crane, and some Cherry Blossoms

Dustin
04-11-2005, 01:00 PM
The flowering cherry, or “Sakura” in Japanese, was given to the US by Japan as a gift of friendship in the early 1900s. As many know, they now surround the tidal basin in Washington, DC. This weekend the blossoms on the trees hit their peak. It was also one of the nicest weekends in terms of temperature and sunshine that we ever get in DC. The result: a perfect explosion of color, sunshine and people. My Kirk MRB was the perfect way to take it all in. On the way home, I saw a crane just off the bike path in Rock Creek. I always feel lucky when I get to seen a magnificent bird like that right in the middle of the city. It’s been a long winter, but spring has finally made it! :banana:

Too Tall
04-11-2005, 01:05 PM
The bike is a Beauty. That's a great blue heron.
Yep, the Tidal Basin was the place to be this weekend and we owe a thanks every yr. to the wonderul nation of Japan for their generous and peaceful offerings. I have a pic. from the about 1940 of my mum in full Kimono dress during the cherry blossom festival.

flydhest
04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
The Doctor and I were down there on fixed gears this weekend. I would not have wanted to be there by automobile. Ick. This year's Cherry Blossoms are the best in some years. The slow, cool arrival of spring really made them magnificent.

Serotta PETE
04-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I have never attended a cherry blosson in DC - - - it is really magnificant.

Birddog
04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Is that Wilbur Mills ol' swimmin' hole?

Birddog

hypnos
04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
...for sharing your photos.

Rapid Tourist
04-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Dustin, this may sound strange, but I saw you on your bike at the tidal basin either last Wednesday or Thursday night around 6:45. Yes, it was an incredible night to see the blossoms. You were near the FDR memorial and I was on a light blue Oswald fixed gear. I noticed your bike because its such a beauty. Thanks for the photos.

bulliedawg
04-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Dustin
04-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Dustin, this may sound strange, but I saw you on your bike at the tidal basin either last Wednesday or Thursday night around 6:45. .

That sounds right. Since the switch to DST, I've been going down rock creek to the basin and doing a few loops around East Potomac Park after work. I hope I'll be able to sneak in a few more rides after work before all of the blossoms fall off.

flydhest
04-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Dustin,

I do laps at Haines Point after work sometimes if the weather is nice. (I try to get there for lunch as well.)

I'll be on a black Serotta.