PDA

View Full Version : Stuff in Jersey Pockets

Ti_on_Steel
08-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi all. I've noticed on group rides that lots of people seem to be carrying tons of stuff in their jersey pockets. I'm just curious, what do most people tend to carry with them in their jerseys?

MattTuck
08-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Depends on length of ride.

Shorter rides: Wallet, phone, multi-tool, keys. Though, I'm thinking about getting a soul run jersey wallet to make things easier.

Longer rides: Add to the above, sandwich, fruit, granola bar.

If rain is possible: Add a light rain coat.

If the ride is going to be nice: a camera.

toaster
08-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Carry two tubes, CO2 inflator, plastic tire lever, material for boot, cell phone, money, business cards and small pencil. Food optional.

Developed over years.

veggieburger
08-06-2010, 09:48 AM
In the small saddlebag - co2 cartridge, one tire lever, one tube.

In the jersey - debit card or a bit of cash, keys, arm warmers (if it's getting late), multitool, possibly a cell phone in a baggie.

flydhest
08-06-2010, 10:03 AM
flat equipment and multitool in saddlebag.
food (if any), clothing (if any), phone (if carrying), ID, and keys in pocket

Every so often I think of putting the keys in the saddlebag because I have a bad image of going down hard, on my back, with keys sticking into me. The thought fades and I never do it, but still . . .

firerescuefin
08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
2 tubes/2 Co2 (have learned the hard way to carry 2), Debit card, $20 (also works as a sleeve/inner liner if you have a hole in the tire), Multi-tool, master chain link (learned this the hard way too), food as required.

fiamme red
08-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Keys, handkerchief (or paper towel), money, a couple of Clif bars.

snah
08-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi all. I've noticed on group rides that lots of people seem to be carrying tons of stuff in their jersey pockets. I'm just curious, what do most people tend to carry with them in their jerseys?

Noticed a couple weeks back at the RAIN ride. Guy I rode with must have had 20lbs stuffed into his jersey pockets.

For me, jersey gets the keys, ID, cell and necessary food, everything goes saddle bag.

Spinner
08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
always a bandana in my right rear pocket (swipe sweat, clean glasses, blow nose ...)

bikemoore
08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I hate stuffing my pockets, but I do use them generally as follows:

Center pocket = rolled up vest or jacket, multi-tool, mini pump
Right side pocket = ID, credit card, money in mini-wallet, cell phone in plastic bag
Left side pocket = map (if req) in plastic bag, food in plastic bag (normally dried fruit, PBJ sandwich (awesome ride food BTW for far less cost and far greater satisfaction than energy bars), something like that.

That's pretty much it. In addition to flat tire supplies in a small seat bag, I have what I need and don't feel stuffed & disorganized in my pockets.

Seat bag:
spare tube, patch kit, tire levers, piece of old tire in case I need to plug a larger cut/hole, CO2 inflator.

John M
08-06-2010, 12:29 PM
There does seem to be this aversion among many to carry a larger saddle bag. I guess they feel that the bike has to look sleek and trim as if they were a Pro Tour dude climbing the Tourmalet....I put in my pockets only what I am may want to access during the ride, generally food or my phone. Tools, tubes, jackets, etc.... go in the bag, and I use a bag large enough to carry that stuff.

veloduffer
08-06-2010, 12:38 PM
There does seem to be this aversion among many to carry a larger saddle bag. I guess they feel that the bike has to look sleek and trim as if they were a Pro Tour dude climbing the Tourmalet....I put in my pockets only what I am may want to access during the ride, generally food or my phone. Tools, tubes, jackets, etc.... go in the bag, and I use a bag large enough to carry that stuff.

Same here...much rather have stuff in the bag than on my back. I carry some ID, cash, house key and cell phone in a zip loc baggie. All tools, mini-pump, patchkit, spoke fixer and tubes are in a bag.

ahumblecycler
08-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Credit card, In Case of Emergency card, Health Insurance card, and gum.

sg8357
08-06-2010, 02:58 PM
The riders with lots of stuff in their jersey pockets are the Domestiques,
they serve the Patron of the Tuesday Night WCS.
The riders with luggage on their bikes are the Tourist-Routiers.

flydhest
08-06-2010, 03:28 PM

I don't get jacket goes in bag. Then, if you are putting it on or off, you have to stop.

If I have a jacket, it's a rain jacket and I will put it on when it starts and take it off when it stops, so stopping to get into the bag isn't for me.

Same for arm warmers, knee warmers, or vests. Off when they need to come off, but don't want to stop a ride to do so. That would clearly annoy the group.

BengeBoy
08-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Usually all I carry in my jersey pocket is a cell phone. On long rides if I'm taking pictures I carry a camera.

Everything else goes in the saddle bag. I have saddle bags of different sizes, depending on how much I need to carry.

I don't like carrying lots of stuff in my jersey; don't mind it on the bike if I need it (extra layers for bad weather, etc.).

There was a comment above about stopping to change clothes -- if I'm in a long ride in the mountains, going from low elevation to high elevation, I'm going to be doing plenty of stopping anyway. Few layers climbing a pass; put the clothes on at the top for the descent. I always feel sorry for people who freeze on the way down because they didn't appear to have room to carry anything with them.

ThasFACE
08-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Hammer cashew/chocolate bar.
Hammer gels.
Vittoria Pitstop.
Tire Iron.
Insurance cards.
20 dollars, US currency.
Intertron Phone

tim11
08-06-2010, 05:28 PM
On a somewhat related note, I can't be the only person who has "jersey fit problems" when stuffing the pockets full. Any recommendations for jerseys that don't pull tight across the front when the pockets are in use? I seem to remember that being part of the Assos sales pitch.

KeithS
08-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Water bottle holder storage thingie with small toolkit, CO2. Seat bag with spare tube and ccard and/or cash. I've got a phone holder bracket on the stem with a neoprene case, multipurpose since my Evo has a built in 8mp camera. Yes I am a geek. Only thing in jersey pocket is smokes and lighter. :rolleyes:

avalonracing
08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Condoms and smokes.

firerescuefin
08-06-2010, 06:49 PM
AvalonRacing......I knew Cippo was lurking in our midst.

chuckroast
08-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Driver's license, cell phone and food in pockets. Mechanical stuff in seat bag.

Jason E
08-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Condoms and smokes.

:rolleyes: nice, haha. You bike has the Flask water bottle too, right?

Right back pocket, Gu or Gu like substance
Center Pocket, ID and $20 in a small snack size Ziplock so I don't give the gas station guy sweaty money for water.
Left pocket is where the empty Gu's go.

Longer rides has more distribution.

Under the saddle is a bag with a tubular, a co2, and a tire iron to help. Tight and neat.

No key, garage key pads rock.

wc1934
08-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Carry everything in my pockets as my fizik saddle is the older version and i can not find a small bag that fits nicely without a lot of sag - any suggestions for a nice small seat bag?

thwart
08-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Fizik 'small' non-ICS works well, fits tube/CO2/tire levers without problems.

I've used mine for 3 years, on nearly every ride, and the velcro still sticks...

And it looks like this.

I think Performance Bike threw in the DeRosa, IIRC. :D

Louis
08-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Shorter rides ( < 2.5 hrs) - nothing
Longer rides - Clif bar(s) + old pill bottle(s) with Cytomax + baggie with electrolyte tablets if long, hard and hot/humid (!!!) ride

My mail box is about a 1/4 mile from my house. At the end of my rides, after my cool-down lap I'll swing by and pick up the mail, so for a very small part of my rides I'll also have the US mail in my jersey pockets. So if you send me a note during the summer be sure to use sweat-proof ink. ;)

avalonracing
08-06-2010, 08:48 PM
In addition to the condoms and smokes, inner tubes, E3 tool, CO2, cash, iPhone, Road ID, I carry some business cards and a mini Fisher Space Pen. You never know when you might make a friend or want to leave a rude message on someone's windshield.

I carry the iPhone in one pocket the tube in another and everything else in a sunglasses case. It is actually a very light load.

wc1934
08-06-2010, 08:49 PM
thwart - you have a heck of a nice bike - bet it is smooth as butter -

BumbleBeeDave
08-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Seat Bag:

-spare tube
-patch kit
-co2 chuck
-two co2 cartridges (16 gram)
-two plastic tire levers
-multi mini-tool
-Schrader valve adapter (in case I need to use a gas station pump)
-several feet of duct tape (wrapped around co2 cartridges--keeps them from clinking together
-several long zip ties wrapped tpgether

In Jersey pockets:

Right pocket . . .
-bandanna
-pocket digital camera (easiest to get to while rolling with my right hand)

Left pocket . . .
-money, DL, insurance card, and a couple of biz cards clipped together with one of those huge paper clips
-smallest size Swiss Army Knife
-spare battery for camera
-cell phone (usually turned off)
-house keys on a small ring with one of those coin sized round pocket Cratsman screwdrivers from Sears
All of the left pocket items are in a ziploc

Center Pocket . . .
-Usually a PI Optik jacket

I also sometimes throw in a Clif Bar, cleat covers, pen and small notebook if I'm out researching a story for the local fitness mag.

BBD

OtayBW
08-07-2010, 09:35 AM
(16 gram)
Yikes - that's kind of pushing it, isn't it, for a ~700x18-25? :confused:
You can get ~100+ psi out of a 12g, right?

BumbleBeeDave
08-07-2010, 09:58 AM
. . . the 16 gram gets it right up to about 110. I'd rather have a bit too much and vent off the extra if I mess up than end up not having enough pressure.

BBD

Birddog
08-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Bike stuff in the seat bag, personal stuff in the jersey. Cell phone and super thin washcloth in rt pocket, water bottle (summer) lt jacket (Spring and Fall ) in center, cleat covers and maybe a Cliff bar or Gel in left pocket.