PDA

View Full Version : Bike clubs in Camden ME?

veloduffer
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm going on vacation with the family next week and wondered if there any clubs with group rides in or near Camden, ME. I plan to bring my GPS unit if I have to ride alone but always more fun to ride with folks, especially they know the area and like to show off the good stuff! :beer:

false_Aest
08-05-2010, 10:42 PM
The girlfriend says: "There's theeee uhm Mathieus cycle and fitness. Call the shop and see. There might be stuff closer to Camden but I know they do weekly group rides. They have 2 shops both about an hour west north west. Supposedly they're fast paced rides--most of the guys at the store race. Uhm, there's Bike Man (Bath Cycle and Ski) in Bath that has group rides. Bath is like uhm an hour south of Camden.

There's a small bike store in Belfast and the Belfast Bike Club http://www.belfastbicycles.com/ "

w0rd

endosch2
08-06-2010, 06:15 AM
There is Maine Sport in Rockport - you could call there and ask about rides. Also Bar Harbor Bike in Bar Harbor has group rides. I would start with Maine Sport since that is local to Camden.

veloduffer
08-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks all, will make a few calls.

roydyates
08-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Maine Sport has a weekly ride, although I've never done it. Bikesenjava in Rockland also has a weekly ride, but I haven't done that one either. Around Camden, the nice riding is out past Megunticook Lake. The best local hill is Barnestown Road. Once you get past the lake, there are backroads going Northeast toward Belfast and backroads going SW toward Thomaston and Warren.

The riding is a little tricky in the sense that its hard to tell which local roads have the right combination sufficiently wide shoulder and/or sufficiently light traffic. Also, an occasional backroad will turn to hardpack dirt, rideable on 23mm tires, but better with knobbies.