PDA

View Full Version : Tech ?: Replace rear brake bolt to use as a front brake?

Hai H. Ho
08-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Long ago, my twin brother gave me his 2006 Record rear brake and I found a brake nut long enough to use it as a front brake on my Klen Quantum Pro.

I had plans to move all the 2006 Record parts from the Klein and onto my Look 595 but ran into a snag last night.

Even with the extra long brake nut (35mm), it won't catch the threads of the shorter brake bolt of the rear brake so I can't use it as a front brake anymore because of the super wide fork.

Has anyone converted a Campy rear brake to use as a front brake by removing the rear's shorter brake bolt and replacing it with a longer one from the front? Is this even possible?

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/spares06_B.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated since my head hurts.

oldpotatoe
08-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Long ago, my twin brother gave me his 2006 Record rear brake and I found a brake nut long enough to use it as a front brake on my Klen Quantum Pro.

I had plans to move all the 2006 Record parts from the Klein and onto my Look 595 but ran into a snag last night.

Even with the extra long brake nut (35mm), it won't catch the threads of the shorter brake bolt of the rear brake so I can't use it as a front brake anymore because of the super wide fork.

Has anyone converted a Campy rear brake to use as a front brake by removing the rear's shorter brake bolt and replacing it with a longer one from the front? Is this even possible?

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/spares06_B.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated since my head hurts.

It is possible if you both brakes are dual pivot BUT there are longer brake nuts out there than 35mm..I have one that's 50mm, I think.

Hai H. Ho
08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
It is possible if you both brakes are dual pivot BUT there are longer brake nuts out there than 35mm..I have one that's 50mm, I think.

Ends up that Oldpotatoe could not find a 50mm brake nut in his tool box and can't remember where he sourced it.

Does one exist? Ideas? Please, please, & pretty please.