PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pool owners, need some advice

SamIAm
08-05-2010, 02:11 PM
So, I am thinking about putting in a pool for the family. We have 4 boys ages 5, 7, 12 and 14, who I know would really enjoy it, but its expensive!

So my question to those who have been down this path before.

Would you do it again? i.e Worthwhile invetment for the family?
What would you do differently if you had it to do again? i.e Upgrades you did and wouldn't do again or upgrades you passed on that you wish you had done?

Thanks.

MattTuck
08-05-2010, 02:23 PM
4 boys, at those ages?

Unless this is a strategic move on your part to thin the herd before you start paying for their college tuition, I'd let someone else take the risk.

Join a club with a pool.

I can imagine the pool parties that will occur when you're away. Not now, but in 5 years and ending when the youngest is about 20.... oh boy!

1happygirl
08-05-2010, 02:32 PM
A guy who owned a pool company used to come in where I work. His van was emblazened with, "I don't work, I just pool around."

I was younger and he said when I got older never, ever get a pool. He said I'd be throwing chemicals into it the rest of my life, cleaning it, and preventing liability by posting fences and signs. Resale would suffer because of it.

Kids will be out doing other things and too busy for the pool.

You know the adage, "The happiest days in a pool owners life....."

YMMV

RADaines
08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
I can't speak from direct experience but there are lots of pools in our neighborhood. After a few years no one seems to use them anymore. It seems that once the kids reach a certain age they are no longer interested and the parents are too busy to spend much time around the pool. Just last night on our group ride I remarked to someone that I never see anybody using the pools that we ride past. He agreed. Unless you and/or your wife are really planning to use the pool a lot, you may want to consider doing something else with money. YMMV

mandasol
08-05-2010, 02:49 PM
My parents put in a pool when I was growing up. They invested way more money in that thing than any membership for a swim facility. We only used it for a few seasons, then the maintenance got out of hand so we emptied and covered it. My parents sold that house many years ago and the first thing the new owners did was fill the pool with dirt.

Now, I have a family and thankfully we live in swim/tennis community. I take my daughter to the pool all the time and I gladly pay my HOA dues to have that convenience. We also have a membership at lifetime fitness and the pool there is ridiculously nice.

My daughter has plenty of friends that live in swim/tennis communities and we've been to many of those pools for her play dates. I reckon if I didn't have a pool in my subdivision or a membership to a gym with a pool my family still have many options for swimming.

I also, agree with MattTuck's sentiments. Pools are extremely dangerous. Since I moved into my subdivision about four years ago we've had two children drown in the pool. I try to limit my daughter's time in the pool and she is only at the pool when I can be there to keep an eye on her like a hawk.

Idris Icabod
08-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I have a pool in Tucson, AZ. I had it put in when we moved in to the house. My wife and I had no children back then but we used it pretty much every weekend for the first couple of years and then used the spa which I also had done (in ground) during the winter. Next couple of years, not so much but ocassionally. Now we have an 18 month old and we are in it all the time. It was expensive (about $45K) 6 years ago but I don't regret it. We got all the bells and whistles as far as cleaning etc. and got something out of the ordinary as far as shape which added $$$ and was a 'pain in the arse' for the pool company. I know peple who want to fill theirs in but most with kids I find love them. It isn't too much work especially if you get the newer cleaning systems. I don't have much of an issue balancing chemicals, but I have a Ph.D. in organic chemistry. Feel free to ask any specifics, there are a few things I might have done differently.

DonH
08-05-2010, 03:26 PM
My 2 cents.......My parents put in a swimming pool when I was around 10. My younger brother and I used it frequently for about 12 years, until it finally needed a new liner, at which point my parents decided they would rather have a garden instead. I really didn't miss it much.
Fast forward to 2005...my wife and I bought a house which came with a 24 ft. above ground pool and a nice big deck (with a locked gate) next to it. It costs a little bit of time and money maintaining it, but its absolutely worth it IMO.
My son and I swim almost every day during the warm months. I love the pool.Sometimes when I get home early I love to just float around and stare at the sky - Its very calming.
Granted, there are definitely safety and liability issues, but I think you just have to be very careful and use common sense, like everything else in life. No one goes in the pool or on the deck without me or my wife. There are rules too - no horseplay,etc. You really have to watch kids like a hawk!

MattTuck
08-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't have much of an issue balancing chemicals, but I have a Ph.D. in organic chemistry.

:banana: :banana: :banana:
I don't know why, I just find this hilarious.

cmg
08-05-2010, 03:38 PM
bought a house that has a pool. what a bad move. it requires more attention then any girlfriend. to be only used 3 months out of the year, what a waste of effort. when i first moved in the pump went bad but i was busy remodeling the houses 2 bath rooms to worry about it. water turns green, frogs move in, neighbors complain to code compliance, they show up. remodeling put on hold until pool gets cleaned up. would i put one in? HELL NO.......... Idiot owner before me plants a pecan tree 10 ft from waters edge. every summer colrinated pecans. cost over a grand to remove tree. that's what broke the pump. bad idea. your kids will still have the wild pool parties they'll just be at somebody else's house.

learlove
08-05-2010, 03:42 PM
My parents put in a pool when I was a kid (1982). My father was a pilot in the Air National Guard (true weekend warrior back then) and the cash from the guard was their (my parents) "spending cash". Vacations/pool ect...

That pool has been rock solid for 28 years now. My mom just had the plaster and tile redone this past spring before we opened it (11K cost) but other than a new filter 10 years ago that has been the only up keep. We open in the first week of May and close in the first week of Sept. We get 3 months of use June/July/Aug.

We have someone open and close (300 to open and 300 to close) but do everything else ourselves. Chemicals will run about 300/year and plan on 50 extra in may/june/july/aug on your electric bill for the pump running.

At your kids ages they will use it big time. My father taught me how to scuba dive in the pool when I was 8. 12 years later when I took lessons for my open water diver all the stuff my father showed me came back like riding a bike. You can also use the pool to teach your kids a big lesson in responsibility. Not only in safety but teach them how to maintain it (vacuum/chemicals/backwash) and give them the job. They will learn real quick how dirty or murky a pool gets if they don't do their end of the deal.

bzbvh5
08-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Join a club with a pool.

It will cost less than owning. Half the fun of the pool is being able to meet and swim with friends.

If a child climbs your fence when you are not home to swim and drowns, how much money are you going to spend on a lawyer to argue your side that the signs you posted on your made to spec fence is enough to eliminate your culpability in the matter. Don't go agrue the matter in court without a lawyer.

Keith A
08-05-2010, 03:56 PM
SamIAm -- We put in a pool when our girls (three of them) were in the same age ranges as your boys. For a good number of years, we used the pool a lot, but as they have grown older it is used less than before. I still get in at least once a week...especially after my group ride on Saturday mornings :) My youngest (who is in high school) uses it some too with her friends.

Even if I'm not swimming in it, I enjoy being out there...whether I'm BBQ'ing or just putting my feet in the water. I'm a real water person (surf, wakeboard, etc) so I enjoy have a little water in my backyard.

They are NOT cheap, not only do you have the initial cost of the pool itself, but the maintenance, repairs and energy cost certainly add up. We tried to not go overboard on the options, but we do have the self cleaning system (the little heads that pop up) and solar panels -- and I still feel both of these options were worth it. I don't have the salt system to generate the chlorine, but I've been thinking about installing one of these.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: One other piece of input. If I lived in a community that had a pool that had a pool that was close (easy walk) then I would go this option. However, that wasn't an option for us. In our previous home, we had a community pool and it was wonderful.

William
08-05-2010, 04:00 PM
SamIAm -- We put in a pool when our girls (three of them) were in the same age ranges as your boys. For a good number of years, we used the pool a lot, but as they have grown older it is used less than before. I still get in at least once a week...especially after my group ride on Saturday mornings :) My youngest (who is in high school) uses it some too with her friends.

Even if I'm not swimming in it, I enjoy being out there...whether I'm BBQ'ing or just putting my feet in the water. I'm a real water person (surf, wakeboard, etc) so I enjoy have a little water in my backyard.

They are NOT cheap, not only do you have the initial cost of the pool itself, but the maintenance, repairs and energy cost certainly add up. We tried to not go overboard on the options, but we do have the self cleaning system (the little heads that pop up) and solar panels -- and I still feel both of these options were worth it. I don't have the salt system to generate the chlorine, but I've been thinking about installing one of these.

Empty that sucka and break out the skateboards!! :banana:

William :)

Keith A
08-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Empty that sucka and break out the skateboards!! :banana: My neighbor's pool is already empty and I've been tempted to give it a try when they aren't around :D

William
08-05-2010, 04:05 PM
My neighbor's pool is already empty and I've been tempted to give it a try when they aren't around :D

If you do, remember......it didn't happen if there's no video. ;)

William

Keith A
08-05-2010, 04:10 PM
If you do, remember......it didn't happen if there's no video. ;)
Only problem is that my last skateboarding adventure destroyed our camera which had video capabilities and we haven't replaced it yet. My daughter and I were pretty sad that our crash wasn't recorded :rolleyes:

Ralph
08-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Just this minute got out of our pool. Before dinner. We live in Central Florida, our kids are gone, and I can't imagine not having a pool. It has a large screen over it and back patio, with a solar heater to keep water temps within usable range about 2/3's of the year. Some visitors will go in when we won't. We like water temps about mid 80's.

From spring thru fall, we use our pool every day. And have for over 25 years. After a bike ride, yard work, whatever, next step is jump in the pool. WE come home at night after being out, and we jump in the pool after dark. We also have an outside shower alongside the pool. It's good for a marriage.

Keeping it clean and water balanced is simple. I probably spend 5-10 minutes every day doing pool work. Just can't imagine not having a pool where we live.

However....if I lived about 500 miles N of here, with shorter use period, then doubt if it would be worth it. BTW....we don't really ever swim in it, even though our deep end is about 8 feet, we just lounge around in it all the time, maybe have some beers when in it. Our grandkids have their own pool, but enjoy ours also. WE do not have a diving board, I think someone might get hurt with that.

I always keep my water quality near perfect, so if you never get behind on your chemicals, check or have it checked regularly, I don't think keeping water near perfect is very difficult. If you let it go during no use time of year, and have to bring it back every spring, then that takes work.

SamIAm
08-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Hey, thanks for the honest feedback. Keep it coming.

I guess the reason I am considering it is just that during the hot summer months down here in Atlanta, swimming is one activity that is actually pleasant for me and the kids to do during the heat of the day.

The plan was for a large-ish salt water, pebbletec pool with integrated hot tub and large brick paver patio with outdoor kitchen. I just figured it would be a good way to get the family outside more in the summertime.

I guess of the concerns raised so far:

I am not worried about the ongoing cost of operating the pool. Nor am I concerned about the maintenance as I would pay a company to take care of that. My main concerns are liability and investing big bucks into something that we would barely use after a year or two.

Keith A
08-05-2010, 04:25 PM
...WE do not have a diving board, I think someone might get hurt with that.Neither does anyone who has built a pool recently. We asked about this and our pool company said no way as did our insurance company.

SamIAm -- I like your plans. We built a decent sized pool ourselves (15x32) and went with a rectangular shape to have more usable area. I would have liked to have done pavers, but I had to stick within our budget. As far as the maintenance goes, if you have the time, you might consider doing it yourself. I mostly enjoy keeping our pool clean and chemicals balanced. Ours is screened in, which makes keeping it clean much easier.

Ralph
08-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I think taking care of a pool is so simple, there is no need to have a pool service. But we have a screen over ours, which keeps it much much much cleaner. We have trees, so no way would I even consider a pool without a screen where we live. Our screen also knocks about 10-12 degrees off average water temps, so even in Central Florida you need to heat it somehow to bring temps back up. Solar heat is free from the sun, and I have 8 4X8 panels on the roof. Also have it controled by a thermostat, which will cut off and on depending on clouds, rain, and water temps. It an't cheap to remove and put back if you have roof work. So if doing again, I think I would just use a gas heater with thermostat on the ground to heat the pool.

Dekonick
08-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Get an 'automatic' cover. They make having a pool that much safer... My friends who have pools all swear that having it heated is worth every penny, but we are far enough north that if you don't heat, you have a SHORT season.

If it were me, I would have an endless pool...

Keith A
08-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Ralph -- My experience is exactly like yours. We're on the Space Coast and before we had solar panels, the screen really kept the temperatures down. Especially with the frequent summer rains which would knock the temperature down pretty quickly and then it would take a while to build back up. I've had my roof replaced since having solar panels and it did add to the cost, but I don't know if I could bring myself to go with a gas or electric heat system.

Our system does have a thermostat control to turn the panels on/off and would think this is almost a necessity. I mistakenly left ours on for one full day last week and when I got home that evening ready for a jump in the pool, I was met with 96º water temperature...that was NOT very refreshing :eek:

bking
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey, thanks for the honest feedback. Keep it coming.

I guess the reason I am considering it is just that during the hot summer months down here in Atlanta, swimming is one activity that is actually pleasant for me and the kids to do during the heat of the day.

The plan was for a large-ish salt water, pebbletec pool with integrated hot tub and large brick paver patio with outdoor kitchen. I just figured it would be a good way to get the family outside more in the summertime.

I guess of the concerns raised so far:

I am not worried about the ongoing cost of operating the pool. Nor am I concerned about the maintenance as I would pay a company to take care of that. My main concerns are liability and investing big bucks into something that we would barely use after a year or two.

A couple thoughts:
1. the typical pebble tech can be tough on the feet (cherry toes they call them). We went with a similar product, but it has a finer aggregate, easier on the feet. Pebble tech may offer similar product.
2. I stayed with the above ground spa, not the built in. it's easier to maintain, the back support is far more comfortable because of the ability to mold the plastic as opposed to concrete, and the number of and action of the jets in the above ground spas are generally superior. I certainly like the athstetics of the inground, but go take a gander at the high tech stuff they sell now days.

jlwdm
08-05-2010, 05:07 PM

If a child climbs your fence when you are not home to swim and drowns, how much money are you going to spend on a lawyer to argue your side that the signs you posted on your made to spec fence is enough to eliminate your culpability in the matter. Don't go agrue the matter in court without a lawyer.

None or not much, if you meet the pool requirements.

Jeff

Ralph
08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
For sure....if I lived in Atlanta, I would not consider a pool without a heater of some sort.

In Florida, one of the reasons we put screens all around them, other than to help keep them clean, is too have a bug and mosquito free area. Our design is a typical design, where all our rooms open onto the patio where the pool is, and BBQ, so with a screen, it just opens up the house with a lot more useul bug free space to use. I imagine Keith has same story about his house.

In a cooler area, you may want the extra heat from no screen, with daily leaf removal job. If you have trees, and no screen, I doubt if a weekly pool service will keep the skimmer free.

Good luck with your pool if you build one. Where we live, every house on our street has a pool, so it's hard to sell a house without a pool. (it's hard to sell a house period these days) I don't know if in Atlanta, a pool is a plus or minus come resale time.

Ken Robb
08-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Having been a real estate broker in SoCal for 36 years I have some observations about pools. Some buyers insist on a pool or at least room for one. They are often from "back East" and their dream of SoCal living is a pool to use all year. (Not likely). Some buyers wouldn't look at a house with a pool. They had one before and know the cost/benefit ratio isn't good for their likely usage. Other buyers would buy a house they liked with or without a pool but they surely wouldn't pay extra to get one. Pools don't add a nickel in value to a resale home. One thing folks should consider though is that a pretty pool can be an enjoyable hardscape feature that's just fun to look at. A bit of what you spend on pool/deck maintenance is offset by what you would spend on landscaping and its maintenance. A spa is often used more than a pool. When combined the pool can be a fun cold dip after the hot spa. Many home pools would be used more if they were bigger. So many are too big for a bath and too small for a swim. Two strokes turn, two strokes, turn---bleh! In my opinion anything under 40 feet is useless for swimming. Floating on a raft with a beer is another story. More folks are aware of the cancer danger of sun exposure so they aren't keen on lying around a pool anymore and they surely don't want their kids doing so either. If you are going to swim laps you need to have a pool that's a suitable size and shape. I knew a few people who did and loved it. The exercise kept them very fit and caused no trauma to bodies and joints.

Z3c
08-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I live in Tucson, just moved here last year and went through the design & installation of the first pool I have ever owned. We use ours frequently but Tucson certainly facilitates that. We have in-floor cleaning and Pebbletec and would do both again. The other thing we did that has proven priceless is a powered cover. It added to the expense, about $8k, and required a simple shape so ours is a rectangle. The simple shape will lower cost to some degree. Keeps crap out; there is more crap flying around than you realize and we don't really have trees here. It is child-proof- you can walk on it in an emergency. Keeps the heat in during the winter as well. Our spa is built into one end so you can partially retract the cover and access the spa if that is all you are after. Very simple really, there are hidden tracks along each side, under the edge of the pool and the cover retracts into a linear pit at one end. Switch has a cover that can be locked. We don't have small kids but grandkids could be in the relatively near future.

Feel free to PM with ?'s..

Scott

CNY rider
08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
. Some visitors will go in when we won't. We like water temps about mid 80's.

You have no idea how entertaining this discussion is for someone from upstate NY.
Most swimming up here takes place in lakes. Big deep lakes carved out by retreating glaciers. :D
We generally think it's cozy with water temps in the mid 70's.
Mid 80's only happens in the shower. ;)

And I have a wing nut neighbor who installed an in ground pool a few years ago.
I see a bunch of work getting done that far outweighs the use the pool sees.
We sometimes see snow in April and have frosts in May. Frost is usually back late September. Who the heck gets a pool that can only be used 3 months a year?

wc1934
08-05-2010, 07:27 PM
that's a tough one - we got a pool when the kids were young - wanted the kids to be at my house as opposed to being elsewhere - it was expensive (both monetarily and time wise - does require some work and maintenance).
The kids did enjoy it, as did I - however, as the years went by and the kids got older, they used it less and less - all in all guess it was worth it, but I would have to give it a second thought if I were to do it again.
If you can afford it - I say go for it - it's only money.

learlove
08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
You have no idea how entertaining this discussion is for someone from upstate NY.
Most swimming up here takes place in lakes. Big deep lakes carved out by retreating glaciers. :D

We sometimes see snow in April and have frosts in May. Frost is usually back late September. Who the heck gets a pool that can only be used 3 months a year?

Upstate NY = I'd probably save the $$ also. maybe get a boat. I lived in Syracuse (liverpool) for 3 years back when I flew turboporps (dash8). I've landed in blinding snow as early as Oct. 5th and deiced my aircraft as late as April 23rd. Even in the summer in July I remember riding in the morning in 50 deg temps.

tkbike
08-05-2010, 08:02 PM

I must be one of those "wing nuts" from upstate NY, being from Saratoga (never considered Hartwick upstate). We installed an in ground pool five years ago and have no regrets. Ours is solar heated, and usable from early May through early October. Water temp is currently 92 degrees and it felt good after tonight's ride. Being from upstate NY early frost and early snow is no big deal, I swam in Lake Placid in early October last year after a grueling paddle-hike-paddle, and it was definitely refreshing. Either my wife or myself are in the pool every day of the swimming season, If you want the pool go for it and don't look back!

djg21
08-05-2010, 09:41 PM
So, I am thinking about putting in a pool for the family. We have 4 boys ages 5, 7, 12 and 14, who I know would really enjoy it, but its expensive!

So my question to those who have been down this path before.

Would you do it again? i.e Worthwhile invetment for the family?
What would you do differently if you had it to do again? i.e Upgrades you did and wouldn't do again or upgrades you passed on that you wish you had done?

Thanks.

Bought I home with one about 10 yrs ago. We are now selling -- and purchasing a house without one. We have no intention of putting one in.

A pool isn't an investment, and neither adds nor detracts from the value of a home when you try to sell. Many prospective buyers don't want a pool.

The pool is likely to get use while your kids are young. Once they get a little older, it will lose its novelty and see far less use.

Ours gets little use. I jump in for a few minutes after riding from time to time, and one of my now-deceased Golden Retrievers used to like it a lot.

Depending on your location and the climate, it may be worthwhile to think about a heater so you can extend the season. This is an added expense obviously.

Upkeep is a pain in the ass. The best pool-related purchase I made was a Tiger Shark automatic cleaner.

We replaced the cartridge filter last season with a sand filter, which is much less of a hassle to clean and maintain. If I ever got another pool, I'd do the sand filter again.

If you have dogs (or young kids), you MUST have a safety cover for the off-season, and a less-expensive cover or any type of solar cover is a non-starter. My father is a veterinarian, and would too often see dogs go missing, only to be found by their owners when they removed their pool covers in the sping. A safety cover costs $1,500 or so for a typical backyard pool.

Good luck with your decision!

Dekonick
08-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Some good friends of mine had a home with an indoor pool. It was awesome. THe pool had an attached jacuzzi, and a pool table in the same room. This was by far the most used room in the house - year round. They had a cover (safety) and it was heated... the room required a dehumidifier, but otherwise nothing special about it. This was in Colorado.

Honestly, that home with that pool was my dream home - never mind that the rest of the house was nothing special... the pool made up for all of it.

An out door pool is not anywhere as attractive to me... but that is me.

Get one if you want, but get a cover to keep the little one's from becoming a casualty.

:)

johnnymossville
08-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Don't have a pool, but my brother does, and my two girls use it more than anyone else so all is good. :)

zap
08-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Timely thread.

My wife and I recently started talking about installing a pool.

We are members of a community pool that is a short drive from our house but we don't go often. It's crowded so many times my wife can't swim laps without someone veering of course and bumping her under. Some of these people are massive. Seating is also limited with broken/dirty deck furniture and as with many such pools, chlorine levels are higher.

It is unlikely that we will be moving anytime soon so we would install one for our benefit. Come home from work, change and jump in to swim some laps.

We just started looking at style and options but several that come to mind is solar heating to extend the season and a sturdy motorized cover. It would also be long enough for proper laps.

Mr. Squirrel
08-06-2010, 08:27 AM
i had a pool. it was way too much work.

http://www.bluecrabboulevard.com/Images_2007/Mar_Apr/Zombie.jpg

i filled it in and planted acorns.

mr. squirrel

ergott
08-06-2010, 08:37 AM
I guess I'm the redneck here. I bought a house that had an above ground pool 4 years ago. Having a pool was a prerequisit. Last month the wall failed and the pool dumped out its water in a matter of minutes! It was cool to watch even though it was a huge bummer. We immediately discussed its replacement. I can't imagine not having one. It took a month, but I just had the pool replaced (same size).

For my family, it's a must have. My parents and sister are over all summer. It cuts back on my air conditioner use. I just jump in before bed to relax. We prefer the temperature to be about 84, but I'll go in when it's 76 or so. No heater is required for those temps. I have a solar cover is necessary. My pool is 33ft long which is enough to get a few strokes in. The month we've been without the pool has been miserable!

coylifut
08-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I bought a house that has a pool. I really resisted it, but it's been great. anyone who can wrench on their own bike, can maintain a pool. the chems are easy. ours has an electric cover with a solar blanket. someone would have to break into the house, find the hiding spot for the key to enter the pool. we don't heat it, live in the PNW and get 4 solid months out of it. Kenn Robb's comments echo my experience. it adds a nice element to the hard scape and the summer family reunion is always at our place. the full outdoor kitchen helps as well. my teenagers have decided their birthdays are now in august and that's where the party is.

would i build one? no. however, i very much enjoy the one that came with the house.

vjp
08-06-2010, 01:14 PM
As I am typing this I am watching our pool dude cleaning our pool through our kitchen window. It is kind of nice because it gets my wife outside also doing yard work. I can't quite understand why she is gardening in a bikini and high heels but as long as she is happy, so am I.

Enjoy your pool!

vjp

JMerring
08-11-2010, 09:29 AM
the fox er wall street journal weighs in: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704164904575421660103119700.html?m od=WSJ_hps_sections_personalfinance#articleTabs%3D article

TMB
08-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I put a pool in when we built the house 14 years ago.

I alternately love it and hate it, but for the most part enjoy it.

I converted it to salt water a few years ago and couldn't have done a better thing. Cuts the "mtce" issues by 3/4.

Also, I took out the gas heater and put in a solar heating system, that paid for itself within 2 years on the gas savings alone.

They don't have to be a lot of work if you plan it right.

And I always know wherethe kids, and their friends are.

That said, the youngest one just started high school and the pool is getting used less all the time.

When the youngest one finishes high school we'll the house, get something smaller, without a pool and I will miss it.

Sometimes.

Ken Robb
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
That said, the youngest one just started high school and the pool is getting used less all the time.

When the youngest one finishes high school we'll the house, get something smaller, without a pool and I will miss it.

Sometimes.

Don't be too quick to move to a smaller home. During college your kids will probably want to come home for vacations and breaks bringing friends with them. Sometimes they will take a year off. It is pretty common these days for recent grads to move back in with their parents. If grandkids come along it can be pretty neat to have room for overnight visits.

I had a fair number of clients during my real estate career who traded down to a smaller house or condo when the kids went off to college only to trade back up due to the above reasons.

Or maybe I just remember that my folks moved the week after I left for college from the only home I had known. Their new place never really felt like home to me. I always felt like a visitor there. The fact that my "bedroom" was a den with no door off the dining room might have had something to do with that feeling too. :)

TMB
08-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Ken,

For perspective.

The current place is 4500 sq ft.

I would be delighted with one about 2400.

With a lot smaller yard, the current one is 1.5 acres.

Ahneida Ride
08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
If you own your own pool, at least you know who is peeing in it ! ;)

Ahneida Ride
08-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey people buy boats .... and how much use do they get outa them ????

Ya wanna pool .... go for it !

Ahneida Ride
08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
The superior option is to have neighbors who have pools.

Then you just pay them a visit !!!!!

How do I know this ???? :banana:

GuyGadois
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Good timing. WSJ addresses pools and the cost: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704164904575421660103119700.html?m od=WSJ_PersonalFinance_PF2

Ken Robb
08-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey people buy boats .... and how much use do they get outa them ????

Ya wanna pool .... go for it !

you just HAD to bring this up, huh? :crap: :)

Ralph
08-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I think a lot of it depends where you live. Your climate.

I notice some of you think of it as a way to exercise, etc.

We live in Central Florida. It's hot here up in the day a big part of the year. We are retired and home most of the time. We use our pool all the time. I'm maybe in it 3-4 times every day....most of the year. After about every activity, bike ride, lawn mowing, I jump in ther pool to cool off. To wash sweat off, to relax and have a beer. I jump in it just before bed time to cool down if I've been out. We sit in it with friends and neighbors to socialize and relax. Our home is built around it, with all rooms opening out onto it. Our subdivision has 128 homes, and 124 has a pool. So to us....it's not optional....it's how we live. No one around here pays big money for a house without a pool. (when they buy one LOL)

BTW....I don't remember the last time I actually swam in it....and it's 15X almost 40'. It's solar heated. Has a large screen over it and patio to keep out bugs and tree trash. And it's easy and simple to take care of.

But if you live in a cool climate, with cool nights, are going to put it somewhere "out there", aren't going to heat it, etc, are never home, them maybe it's not worth it. Atlanta would be a toss up for me.

PaulE
08-11-2010, 07:05 PM
We put in a pool 6 years ago when our boys were 14 and 9. Here in Northern NJ we keep it open from mid April to mid October. There have been years when we've had 90 degree weather during Spring break week and also hot days in late September and early October. The town pool club only opens Memorial Day weekend and closes on Labor Day, plus it is not heated so was only comfortable in the heat of mid Summer.

Our pool still gets plenty of use and was a good move for us. At 10x30, it heats up fast when we need to heat it. I only use the pool company to open and close it. During the pool season, I spend about 15 minutes once a week to clean the skimmer and polaris vaccum bag and add chlorine to the chlorinator. I also backwash the filter 2 or 3 times each season which also doesn't take very long. This year the pump motor had to be replaced, our first major maintenance expenditure. In 6 years, I've had to adjust the ph or alkalinity of the water maybe a half dozen times total.

My wife really wanted the pool before we had one. I was leery about the maintenance, but it's not a big deal and I'm happy we got it.

nm87710
08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Pools are like high end bikes. You get one because you want one not because it's a good investment or you need one. At least the entire family can use the pool...

Kirk Pacenti
08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I don't have one, but would like to. My only fear is I would use it too much.
Seriously, I'd be in it all the time, and when I wasn't I'd be close by channeling my inner George Hamilton!

djg21
08-16-2010, 09:11 PM
you just HAD to bring this up, huh? :crap: :)

Boat: Hole in the water that you throw money into.

Pool: Hole in the ground that you throw money into.

Pick your poison?

Ken Robb
08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Boat: Hole in the water that you throw money into.

Pool: Hole in the ground that you throw money into.

Pick your poison?

B O A T= Break Out Another Thousand :rolleyes:

benc
09-18-2016, 09:55 PM
Bringing this one back from the dead!

SamIAm, ever get your pool?? We are in Atlanta and considering putting one in too. Mid-30's, me the wife and 2 dogs. Kids likely in near future. We live downtown so no neighborhood club. City pool close by, not a great option for us. We've been planning this for 4+ years. Maintenance is not an issue.

Thoughts are: gunnite, solar heat, automatic cover.... What else?

rnhood
09-19-2016, 09:55 AM
I recommend against the home pool, and instead would go to a neighborhood or YMCA, city, other club, etc pools. You meet more people and kids become better swimmers when they are with like kids. A home pool is like a home gym, they ultimately get little use. All just my opinion, of course.

chiasticon
09-19-2016, 10:35 AM
wife has been on the idea for years and this year we finally pulled the trigger. but in a slightly different way... she talked me into one of those above ground Intex pools. not the inflatable ones but the ones that are basically the support posts and a liner. they run around $400 so as long as you have a pretty flat area on your property, you can get away cheaply. I figured it's a good test to see if we really want a pool, with the upkeep and how much we use it, etc. and we're far less committed than with even a modest above-ground "legit" pool. can easily disassemble it if we decide to list the house, etc. and given that we can only use it a few months out of the year anyway, if we never decide to upgrade, we're not losing much in it.

overall it's been great. saved me some money from taking less weekend getaways that were primarily aimed at paying several hundred dollars to stay on the lake or at a place with a pool. there's been a bit of a learning curve with getting the chemicals right and such. and yeah, we're not in there at all times and we're looking towards closing it up for the season soon. but we've gotten our money's worth out of it already, I'd say. awesome way to cool off when you come back from a super hot and humid ride.

but would I dump ten grand into one? no. just wouldn't use it enough and wouldn't see the return on investment when selling the house. actually would dissuade several would-be buyers, as a lot of people (evidenced by this very thread) just don't want to deal with a pool.

Tickdoc
09-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Put one in about four years ago and loving it.

Nothing better after a hot ride than stripping down and jumping in to cool off.

Ours is gunnite saltwater, not that big, not that deep, and has an attached hot tub that makes all the difference in the world. It takes about 30 min if it is cold out to heat, and that is what we use all the time. I used it last night after going shooting at a fri new and feeling kinda buggy.

I grew up with a pool so I do my own maintenance. Much easier than maintaining a bike, Imo. You can YouTube your way through most any repair.

We never used our backyard prior to the pool, and now we're out there all the time.

I realize our resale "pool" will shrink cause of the pool, but I'm not worried about that, as hot as our summers are.

Just make sure you are with a reputable builder. Ours was great, but there are many out there of qu stainable integrity, and it can be a nightmare if things go south during the build.

Feel free to ask me any questions via pm and good luck!

Keith A
09-19-2016, 02:01 PM

Edit: One other piece of input. If I lived in a community that had a pool that had a pool that was close (easy walk) then I would go this option. However, that wasn't an option for us. In our previous home, we had a community pool and it was wonderful.

It's been six years since I made this post and still feel the same way. My girls have all grown up and are out of the house, but we have several friends in our neighborhood with smaller kids that use it regularly, and I now have a grandchild that will start using this soon.

It certainly does add to your bottom line monthly costs, but it has been enjoyable to have. I do all the maintenance and don't mind it all. It takes a little while to figure out the chemicals, and there are times when the mustard algae gets frustrating, but it's not that big of a deal. With a new concrete based pool, it will take a while before your pool surface stabilizes and doesn't affect the chemicals in the water.

Pierre
09-21-2016, 12:59 PM
I would seriously consider putting it in. I would also seriously consider getting salt water filtration as the maintenance is a lot simpler. Kids love pools, end of story. Kids learn to swim way more quickly when they have easy access to a pool, yes, safety will be a concern early on but your efforts will pay off big time when you end up with kids who are not only comfortable around water but love water sports as a result.

Last but not least, pool parties ROCK. Would you rather that your teen be at home partying where at least you have some access or would you rather they be somewhere else?

radsmd
09-21-2016, 02:25 PM
We are also in the process of selecting a builder for a pool here in San Diego. Very easy to go overboard with all the different options. .