PDA

View Full Version : 2010 SRAM Force - any impressions out there?

rinconryder
08-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Thinking about making the leap. Anyone have any experience they can share about the new 2010 Force? I have read good reviews but wanted to get some real world thoughts. Thanks.

gearguywb
08-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Tried it...took a ride or two to get used to it...went home sold everything else and went 100% Force. One exception is my new Kirk, it got Red (just had too!)

snah
08-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Put it on my newest build, have more than 1k on it, love it. Does take a ride or two to get used to though, at least for me.

Pete Serotta
08-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Last two days of Ride the Rockies I was loaned a bike that had the SRAN Force 2010 groupo on it. Worked very well for me - it had a compact crank and shifting was sharp.

PETE

flydhest
08-05-2010, 01:29 PM
apparently, you shouldn't cross-chain if you make the leap.

Pete Serotta
08-05-2010, 01:34 PM

If someone offered me a Ultegra or a Force(for same price) - I would take the Ultegra.

Someone ran over my personal bike in RTR and that is why I had the loaner Parlee with Force to use. (off to Saratoga in OCT for the new bike (OTTROTT) and also it will probably have Campy. So I am not a very good reference point.

tkbike
08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
I built my Look 595 with 2010 Force and within 2 months had changed the Fierte IT from DA 7800 to Force. It did take a couple of rides to get used to it, but it is now the only group I ride. Both bikes are set up as compacts and shift crisply from large to small and small to large. I do spend the majority of my time in the large ring and have no problem cross chaining in the large ring. The only advantage to RED that I have found is the zero loss travel levers.

firerescuefin
08-05-2010, 04:12 PM

You beat me to it.

My guess is that one of Andy's demands of his new team is not "must be SRAM equipped"

My advice....Campy. But what's the saying, "there's no arguing in matters of taste"...Shimano, Campy, SRAM...all work very well.....unless your cross chained pushing 400 watts and launching an attack on HC climb trying to put time into a very fast spanish sharpshooter, then SRAM.... not so much.

norcalbiker
08-05-2010, 04:28 PM
My wife came from a mix of Shimano Ultegra and 105 to a full Sram Force. After few rides, she loves the Force. She really doesn't know anything between them. All she knows is she like the way it shift and how they function. One big difference that she loves is, she neven have to shift with the brake levers.

batman1425
08-05-2010, 07:46 PM
I built my new Damocles with Force, and I love it. Its my first experience with SRAM. Ditto on the comments that it takes a few rides to get used to, but I did, it was hard to beat. Truly amazing stuff, all my future bikes will be Sram.

Likes2ridefar
08-06-2010, 07:51 AM
I used SRAM for the last few years, force '09 then '10, but this year switched to 7900 dura-ace.

I like the dura-ace more. the hoods fit better on the bars - no annoying hump that has to be built up with extra wrapping or other ingenious methods. There's also no question about whether you are going up or down a gear. I managed to misfire a few times usually going down a cog when I wanted to go up.

One plus for SRAM over the shimano is I like the fact the brake lever is not involved with the shifting.

I had a few schleck-like incidents over the past two years too. Not once with the Shimano - yet.

stickville
08-06-2010, 09:14 AM
I have force with a ultegra chain. It is tuned properly. However, about after an hour of riding when I am in the 3 cogs with the most teeth and I shift from the big ring to the compact, the chain jumps out of the rear cog and skates between two cogs. I cannot reproduce it at my LBS. Is the chain the issue?

johnnymossville
08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I have force with a ultegra chain. It is tuned properly. However, about after an hour of riding when I am in the 3 cogs with the most teeth and I shift from the big ring to the compact, the chain jumps out of the rear cog and skates between two cogs. I cannot reproduce it at my LBS. Is the chain the issue?

I have had somethng similar happen a few times with my current Rival/Ultegra Chain combo.

I'm not sure what causes it, but the original SRAM chain never did that.

One of the guys at my LBS says there might be just the tiniest difference in chain width on the ultegra causing it, but then there are so many variables,...

oldpotatoe
08-06-2010, 09:21 AM

No. Der adjust or der hanger is what I would look at. Small frame? Short chainstays?

stickville
08-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I asked my LBS if the hanger could be bent and they said no. I have had two different mechanics check the adjustments and both said it looks perfect.
I never had any problems on my other bikes with shimano drivetrain and sram chain. Maybe I will wait for a sale on Sram chains ...