PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for Quizno's!

cloudguy
08-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Can't wait to see the route. Hopefully, they come through the Boulder area...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/08/news/quiznos-to-sponsor-colorado-stage-race_132692

p.s. Thanks Lance

fiamme red
08-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Quizno's? Maybe they'll bring Colorado up to the national standard for obesity. ;)

torquer
08-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Quizno's? Maybe they'll bring Colorado up to the national standard for obesity. ;)
My thoughts exactly, when I read that. That joint proves that some folks will eat anything as long as its covered in melted cheese.
But then again, wasn't Lucky Strikes cigarettes the title sponsor of a Chinese stage race a few years ago?

johnnymossville
08-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Haven't been to a Quiznos in ages, might have to stop by for a quick bite the next time I'm heading over to The Shack.

michael white
08-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Haven't been to a Quiznos in ages, might have to stop by for a quick bite the next time I'm heading over to The Shack.

probably better for you than Hardee's and Walmart.

Louis
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
They have at least one veggie option that IMO tastes pretty good and is not too fat/calorie/salt-laden.

Same thing for Subway - foot-long veggie is a good choice.

witcombusa
08-04-2010, 05:02 PM
This is awesome news! The Red Zinger/Coors Classic days were great.
This is where THE US stage race needs to be. Move over ToC....

johnnymossville
08-04-2010, 05:24 PM
They have at least one veggie option that IMO tastes pretty good and is not too fat/calorie/salt-laden.

Same thing for Subway - foot-long veggie is a good choice.

The one thing that bothers me about Subway is that the Foot Long Veggie costs the same $5 as a sub loaded with meat and cheese. I used to eat the Veggie exclusively when it was cheaper than the rest. It's a good sub.

OK I have very little self control shoot me. LOL

jscottyk
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Seriously? The first post in response to such an announcement is too find fault with the title sponsor?

I'm not a fan of any fast food chains in particular. None are that much better for you than another with regards to the quality of their food, but here we have a national company stepping up to sponsor a big event and the first response is a tossed stone.

The question has been asked in the past, "what make a good cycling sponsor?" I think an answer which is high on the list is, "the one that gets out their checkbook."

Thanks for stepping up Quizno's!

jlwdm
08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
+100

Jeff

Louis
08-04-2010, 05:32 PM
The one thing that bothers me about Subway is that the Foot Long Veggie costs the same $5 as a sub loaded with meat and cheese. I used to eat the Veggie exclusively when it was cheaper than the rest. It's a good sub.

I hear you. I bet the cost of the stuff in the sub is less than 50% of the total cost of the product. Cost difference between "full beef" and veggie is probably smaller than you'd think.

Any decent, healthy meal that costs $5 or less is a good deal.

johnnymossville
08-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Agree about opening their checkbook. Good for them, and for us.

I used to do design work for Quiznos, and the people in Colorado where I believe they are headquarted seemed to be VERY nice people. Hooray for Quiznos and bike racing.

dixiesdad
08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Living in Colorado and having seen the Coors classic I couldn't be more excited. We are allready talking at the office about taking the week off. As far as the sponsor they do have salads and other healthier items. I would have rather had Jimmy Johns as the delivery boys could have had there own team for the race.....as long as they had a fixie crit with sandwiches in tow, 12 inch bars. and team bikes that did notmatch. awesome sprinters. :beer: :banana: :banana: :D

93legendti
08-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Agree about opening their checkbook. Good for them, and for us.

I used to do design work for Quiznos, and the people in Colorado where I believe they are headquarted seemed to be VERY nice people. Hooray for Quiznos and bike racing.
+1

Kublai
08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
The Chinese cigarette sponsor was Kent.

I was lucky enough to be at the kickoff announcement today in Denver. Big crowd, lots of enthusiasm. Lots of work to do as well because no courses have been laid out, no towns have been contracted, and secondary sponsors have not been acquired. Medalist Sports is an experienced organization with a "ready to roll" infrastructure and team, that will help a lot. I just hope they concentrate the first year racing from Ft Collins to Colo Spgs and no further west than Aspen. This is a big state, no need to cover it all out of the gate. Lance's Durango to Denver idea is folly.

As for Quizno's I'm a regular, but I always order their cheese sandwich that is no longer on the menu (add tomato, lettuce and vinegarette). I can tell how long someone has worked there by whether they just make it, or ask me how.

And as for replacing/matching the Coors Classic, I'll withold judgment. That was one amazing event that lasted 14 years. I'll name Trump/Dupont as #2 alltime. Let the debate begin!

pjm
08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I like their new commercials with the kittens. :)

gemship
08-05-2010, 10:14 AM

Where I live a act like that would be sacrilegious. We actually don't have one of those places but we do have a Subway and a Domino's and a Papa Gino's right up the street from several well established mom and pop Italian pizza and sub eateries. I don't know how those chains survive at least where I live having said that but there is something for everyone.

MattTuck
08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
The question has been asked in the past, "what make a good cycling sponsor?" I think an answer which is high on the list is, "the one that gets out their checkbook."

+1.

If we didn't allow unhealthy food and beverage companies to sponsor sporting events, there probably wouldn't be sporting events. (and I'm not just talking cycling, have you seen the beer, soda, fast food sponsorships at MLB, NBA and NFL games and the commercials on TV during those games?

I'm just glad one of them stepped up to support cycling.

William
08-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Have to agree here. :beer:

Do you think a stage will run through Black hawk? :rolleyes:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=74959&highlight=ban+bicycles

William

michael white
08-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Have to agree here. :beer:

Do you think a stage will run through Black hawk? :rolleyes:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=74959&highlight=ban+bicycles

William

they'll have to use spd walking sandals for that stage.

torquer
08-05-2010, 11:22 AM
+1.

If we didn't allow unhealthy food and beverage companies to sponsor sporting events, there probably wouldn't be sporting events. (and I'm not just talking cycling, have you seen the beer, soda, fast food sponsorships at MLB, NBA and NFL games and the commercials on TV during those games?

I'm just glad one of them stepped up to support cycling.
Nobody here is in any position to allow or prohibit anything. We're just pointing out the irony when purveyors of "food-like substances" (I think that's Michael Pollin's term) associate themselves with athletics (as you point out yourself, Matt, in your paranthetic comment).

I'm happy, too, when anyone writes the checks to support cycling. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss where that money originated, or what the expected return on investment will be.

jscottyk
08-05-2010, 11:35 AM
...But that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss where that money originated, or what the expected return on investment will be.

Indeed. My point (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=808560&postcount=9) though was the first response was not an 'ataboy' for stepping up, but a cynically tossed stone.

Skepticism is healthy. Cynicism is deadly.