PDA

View Full Version : Velomobiles

snah
08-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Came across a guy in one of these yesterday, the first photo.

http://www.bluevelo.com/UPDATES.php

Guy made an interesting statement, more I thought about it, it just doesn't add up. Guy commutes 18 miles a day in this thing, slow going up hills, yeah I know, Central Indiana, not much for hills. Can get it to about 25mph on flat to slight down hill. Guy was really slow on the slight hill I rode with him and nothing smashing on the flats. Statement was that he can get to work faster on this than his road bike. Aside from either having a really crappy road bike or just being crazy slow, how can this be faster? I'm not super fast myself, but I could have crushed the guy yesterday.

Anyone have any experience on these? Is it possible to commute faster than a road bike in one?

130R
08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
looks like a :banana:

firerescuefin
08-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Perhaps people like yourself (but who drive big trucks) have mercy on him and throw it in the back and drive him to work ;)

snah
08-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Perhaps people like yourself (but who drive big trucks) have mercy on him and throw it in the back and drive him to work ;)

Guess I could have offered a draft to the yellow :banana:

Temp yesterday was 92, I believe, supposed to hit 95 today, have to believe it's hotter than he!! in there, no wind. Would be nice for the winter commute though.

Louis
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Temp yesterday was 92, I believe, supposed to hit 95 today, have to believe it's hotter than he!! in there, no wind.

There's a PTO on the BB used to spin a compressor which in turn is hooked up to a small A/C system. It takes only 800 watts to do it, but you can keep yourself cool. If you're not cool just pedal a bit harder...

Blue Jays
08-04-2010, 05:23 PM
These faired bicycles likely haul @ss on the flats with a strong rider.