PDA

View Full Version : Thomson seatpost - one cool component

saab2000
04-11-2005, 07:44 AM
I recently sold my mountain bike to my future brother-in-law. The bike had a Fast Feather aluminum seatpost on it. This is a pretty light post which was sold in the early '90s and I did not really trust it under my "Full Bodied" brother-in-law. So I decided that I better sell him something safe and picked up a Thomson 410 mm 27.2 used post on Ebay.

What an awesome thing! I know it is ridiculous to get so excited about something whose purpose seems so modest, but this thing is clearly well made and well thought out. The thing adjusted really easily and the head is clearly well engineered. If he is not safe with this thing I guess he won't be safe with anything.

I just wish their new stem were made in 14 cm!! How many others find this Thomson post to be a step above the others? I just wish the setback version had more setback.

Sorry for getting gaga over such an unexciting component, but this one is a winner.

davids
04-11-2005, 08:21 AM
People just love those Thomson products (including me - stem and seatpost on my Klein Adept!) It's very satisfying to find a product as well-thought-out and well-made as theirs are.

Now that Thomson's getting more serious about their road gear, they're becoming more serious candidates for my next road bike, too.

chrisroph
04-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Saab,I couldn't agree with you more. The thomson seatposts are superb. I've got them on my track, mountain and cross bikes and a couple other bikes as well.

Dave
04-11-2005, 09:19 AM
The straight up model is rarely suitable for a road bike, unless it's designed with about a 1.5 degree slacker seat tube angle. The front of the clamp is 2cm in front of the post centerline, while most traditional post are approximately at the centerline. For me, the post would barely work on my frame with a 72.5 degree STA and even then, the saddle would be nearly all the way back.

Other brands, like the FSA K-force, ITM Millenium and Selcof have nice 2-bolt models with different amounts of setback. My K-force has 3.5cm more setback than the Thomson. FSA also makes a less setback (but not straight up) model, but I've never seen any specs on it.

chrisroph
04-11-2005, 10:01 AM
True Dave, that is why I use the setback model only (except for my mtn bike which has a particularly slack st angle). It seems to have a bit less setback than some other posts but it works well for me with my favored 72 or 72.5 road bike deg st angles.