PDA

View Full Version : FAI (Hip Issue)...Experience anyone?

firerescuefin
08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Due to a misspent youth and early to mid adulthood, I have developed some medical issues the last 4 years.

2 level lumbar disc replacement 10/08.

My right hip has really started to bother me. It has been coming on since 04 (bike accident at 45mph+), but has really becoming annoying. I just got back from a consult with Marc Philepons group (Steadman Hawkins-Vail)...they did A-Rods Hip, so their pretty reputable. Anyhow, I had the MRI with the diagnostic anesthetic, and I have been diagnosed with "classic" FAI. If you have/had it you know what I am talking about. As excited as I am to put this behind me, I am so tired of docs/tests/rehab/etc. Surgery is "minimally invasive" (except for the person getting it), with rehab 3-4 months......Any experiences out their?

thanks,

Geoff

firerescuefin
08-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Bump.......will be getting cut on in the next 3-8 weeks. I told the Doc....let's wait for the weather to get cold. I want to stay on the bike as long as possible.

Any other cases of this out on the forum?

soulspinner
08-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Had a slipped epiphysis 40 years ago and with shim Ive been better than doctors said I would be(cartilage was destroyed). More cycling seems to keep it loose, Im sure you will strong after rehab. What did docs say as prognosis post surgery?

BarryG
08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
You might try posting over at the Runner's World injury forum.

I've had major hip problems of my own since a crash in '05 but don't have FAI. I'd definitely do MAJOR due diligence before getting cut (I've been cut 3 times).

firerescuefin
08-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Barry/Soul,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The problem is not getting any better. Doc actually believes it's what led to my back issues. I have some serious ROM issues and have done everything I can do as far as strengthening/rehab etc. It's pretty much a constant 4.5/10. I actually feel great on the bike (especially on a nice hot day). The anesthetic they gave when doing the contrast MRI nearly knocked 100% of the pain out. The thought of another procedure and rehab is not very appetizing, but I am a gym/training rat so it's not overwhelming. I asked what the alternative was and he answered total hip in 5-15 years given my level of activity. He said I was the "ideal" candidate (fit/low body fat/ REALLY GOOD LOOKING ;) ). I would rather be the "ideal" of good health, but that's water under the bridge. We'll see.