PDA

View Full Version : Brade pad question

cinema
08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I've been running a set of veloce brakes that I got NOS about a year ago and several times over the course of the year I started to notice something grinding on the rim whenever I would brake. Upon disassembling the brake I always find it to be the same problem; little shards of junk/metal/earth etc are lodged in the brake pad and i have to pick them out with a tweezer. Is this common? are the brake pads just low quality?

oliver1850
08-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Dave
08-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I've had Record pads from 2008 with this problem. The pads were always gritty sounding and they kept picking up aluminum from the rims. I even had little specks welded to the rim, that I had to scrape off. This was all in dry conditions. I trashed those brand new pads and put on some koolstop salmon colored pads.

I bought another pair of Record brakes in 2009 and had none of the gritty sound or metal particle grabbing.

oliver1850
08-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Pete Serotta
08-04-2010, 02:45 PM
New CAMPY pads or Swiss Stop ones are worth looking at.

Dave
08-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Interesting, Dave. I've been running Campy since 2000, on several different bikes. Haven't ever had the problem. Maybe it could be a combination of the pads with certain rims.

I was using Fulcrum Zero (Campy made) wheels.

Pete Serotta
08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Also went to Koolstop ones and it seems to not be happening....Fall/Rain riding in Vt will let me know. PETE ( I had OPEN PRO - MAVIC)

I've had Record pads from 2008 with this problem. The pads were always gritty sounding and they kept picking up aluminum from the rims. I even had little specks welded to the rim, that I had to scrape off. This was all in dry conditions. I trashed those brand new pads and put on some koolstop salmon colored pads.

I bought another pair of Record brakes in 2009 and had none of the gritty sound or metal particle grabbing.

Ahneida Ride
08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
get Kool Stops ...

there are a no brainier ... Salmon works great !

OEM pads generally suck.

oldpotatoe
08-05-2010, 07:53 AM
I've been running a set of veloce brakes that I got NOS about a year ago and several times over the course of the year I started to notice something grinding on the rim whenever I would brake. Upon disassembling the brake I always find it to be the same problem; little shards of junk/metal/earth etc are lodged in the brake pad and i have to pick them out with a tweezer. Is this common? are the brake pads just low quality?

Trundle on down to a good hardware store and get a rasp..use it to take the metal shards outta the pads.

Ken Robb
08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Trundle on down to a good hardware store and get a rasp..use it to take the metal shards outta the pads.

I use a dental pick that's also good for cleaning guns.