PDA

View Full Version : 26.4 classic style carbon bars -- any ideas

dd74
08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
A friend was asking if there is such a thing as a 26.4 bar that looks like the classic Cinelli, but is built from carbon. He's trying to modernize in old steel Bianchi with lighter parts. He has the carbon fork, but was thinking about carbon bars. I told him I'd ask here.

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

steampunk
08-04-2010, 08:11 AM
i don't know about that...the 26.4 clamp dia was specific to Cinelli.

you could try "standard" 26.0 bars and wrap aluminum shim stock around the clamp area, but i'm not sure how safe that would be.

Ralph
08-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I use a WCS classic bend from Ritchey in aluminum. it's far cheaper than CF, and lighter also. I haven't figured out any reason to use CF stems and bars. Ritchey WCS aluminim is lighter (or as light) and a lot cheaper.

oliver1850
08-04-2010, 12:22 PM

dd74
08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
My friend corrected himself. He now says 26mm.

dd74
08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
And after reading up on the installation of a carbon bar on a traditional closed-face quill stem, I found that it's highly unrecommended that this be done, as the stem could scratch the carbon. With that, a new stem may have to be purchased.

...diminishing returns...

toasttoast
08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
And after reading up on the installation of a carbon bar on a traditional closed-face quill stem, I found that it's highly unrecommended that this be done, as the stem could scratch the carbon. With that, a new stem may have to be purchased.

...diminishing returns...

yeah, it's easy to gouge a bar when inserting it into a quill stem. on a metal bar, this just makes an ugly scratch, but it's more significant on carbon.

with that said, it's still possible to get 26.0 carbon bars to safely work in a quill stem. if they have a classic shape (not ergo, not compact, etc), just pry the bar clamp area open as far as possible (with a coin, flat head screwdriver, or similar tool) and just slide 'er in.

nitto also makes a decent-looking, 26.0, removable faceplate stem. it's called the UI-2, i think. there would be zero problems using that with any bar, regardless of material or shape.

steampunk
08-04-2010, 08:21 PM
My friend corrected himself. He now says 26mm.

they're out there...i picked up a NOS ITM carbon bar on eBay for <$60.

Blue Jays
08-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Stick with aluminum.
I made the mistake of carbon bars on one bike and that will only happen once.

Ralph
08-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Looking for light....as I recall....My Ritchey WCS Aluminum 110 stem weighs about 80 grams and the Ritchey classic 26 WCS Aluminum bars weigh about 210 grams. Ritchey also offers the newer style bars in about same weight. Same with Aluminum seat posts. And there are other good Aluminum choices other than Ritchey.

Isn't that about as light (or lighter) as CF, for about 1/2 the price? I'm not anti CF necessarily, just don't see it's advantages in stems, bars, seat posts, and everyday rims.