PDA

View Full Version : Campy Ultrashift Ergos Question???

buldogge
08-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Barring aesthetics...Is there any real world difference between the Veloce US and Centaur Carbon US Ergos besides the weight savings of the carbon levers and the price??

$72 difference at Ribble...trying to decide.

Bike will have Chorus carbon UT CT crankset and silver Centaur everything else. I already have a pair of silver V2 Centaur Ergos but I need another set of Ergos for an 8s bike I am converting to 10s as well.

So...theoretically I would use the silver Centaurs on this "classic" bike (early 90's Reus with Athena and now some Veloce silver) and balance the carbon crankset, seatpost, forks on the Sampson Z7 I'm building with the US carbon Centaurs. I suppose I could run the black Veloce US levers or strip and polish them as well...dunno???

Decisions...decisions...

Thoughts?
Experiences??

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Dave
08-03-2010, 02:05 PM
The internals should be the same. Campy tried bushings on the main pivot shaft, but apparently changed to ball bearings at all levels, some time in the first year of production. I've got a pair of the bushing equipped Centaur shifters and they work fine.

I should add one more thing. Most '09 10 speed shifters have the really soft clicks on the right finger lever. Late in '09, that was changed so the 10 speed right finger lever clicks are like those fo the 11 speed shifters.

buldogge
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanx Dave...

-Mark

The internals should be the same. Campy tried bushings on the main pivot shaft, but apparently changed to ball bearings at all levels, some time in the first year of production. I've got a pair of the bushing equipped Centaur shifters and they work fine.

Pete Serotta
08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
I always go with!!!!!! :beer:

Ralph
08-03-2010, 03:44 PM
This doesn't answer your question....but I bought a pair of the 9 speed Mirage Ergo's ($89 with lubed cables) from Ribble to use on a daily rider I upgraded to 9 speed from 7 & 8....and I think they shift just the same as the Record 8 and Chorus and Record 9 I have used. Even the hoods feel the same. So I imagine.....if you don't mind the look of the cheaper Veloce US, I would use them. I'm a fan of the cheaper shifters where the name on them doesn't matter. I'm thinking about buying a pair of Mirage 10 ($89 with lubed cables) escape shifters. I don't give a hoot about how many gears they shift at one sweep either. I did carefully spray some lithium grease up in the mechanisms, which helped a lot with ease of shifting. I'm spoiled by my Centaur Ultra Shift, so like the older style stuff to shift nice.

I do use Centaur Ultra's on another bike with mostly new Centaur and Chorus 10 parts where I want the look to be right. It's not so much the money deal with me, I just haven't figured out a reason to go higher than Centaur 10 for most parts, or Chorus 10 if I can get them cheap.

Dave
08-03-2010, 05:33 PM
One more thing. Those who want 10 speed ergos that still have the ability to shift multiple cogs smaller with one push of the thumb button should buy soon. It won't be long until the '11 models are out. Those will be dumbed-down with only one cog per push of the thumb button.

oldpotatoe
08-04-2010, 08:25 AM
One more thing. Those who want 10 speed ergos that still have the ability to shift multiple cogs smaller with one push of the thumb button should buy soon. It won't be long until the '11 models are out. Those will be dumbed-down with only one cog per push of the thumb button.

Also with Athena and 11s. I hope the innards aren't the Xenon type innards found on 2007/8 Centaur and Veloce but we'll see.