PDA

View Full Version : Skewer/Wheel Wobble Issue

tlarwa
08-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I just picked up a new (to me) American Classis 350 Sprint wheelset. I bought a pair of American Classic skewers from a separate source to use with them. The issue is that the skewers are "loose" in the hubs, and when locked down the wheels have an unacceptable amount of side-to-side movement. I took the AC skewers out and reinstalled the wheels with my Ultegra skewers and there are no issues. The AC skewers are "cammed" for lack of a better description ... how tight are these supposed to be? I t seems like I tightened them as much as I could but still be able to throw the lever into the locked position. The axle diameter of the AC skewers just seem to not be large enough. Any ideas?

Tom

Mike748
08-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Nobody smart has chimed in so I'll try... The only way the wheel can wobble in the drop outs with the quick release closed is if the axle nubs - the part that sticks out into the drop out - are bottoming against the quick release body/nut or the springs are stacking up. The QR parts are recessed on the underside for clearance. If the drop outs are narrow, the axle is long, or the recesses are shallow the QR can be bottoming on the axle instead of against the drop out face.

thwart
08-02-2010, 09:54 PM
As Mike said, the 'axle' of the QR's is not really the wheel axle when they're tightened down appropriately.

I actually really like my AC350's (I weigh 150 or so, and so they don't seem at all flimsy to me).

The AC skewers, not so much.

Yeah, they're titanium... But I run the wheels with Campy Record skewers. The improved function is easily worth another 20-30 grams.

oliver1850
08-02-2010, 10:12 PM