PDA

View Full Version : Replacingmy AE with a look ultra 595with DI

bpatterson
08-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I want to replace my serotta AE. A look 595 ultra with DI

oldpotatoe
08-02-2010, 07:52 AM
I want to replace my serotta AE. A look 595 ultra with DI

Moots RSL with SuperRecord. You lookin' for suggestions? Moots RSL with Record is about the same $ as the Serotta frame and fork.

sg8357
08-02-2010, 08:04 AM
What size is the AE ?

Sure you don't want to wait for SuperRecord-E or Di2/14 ? :)

Charles M
08-02-2010, 08:40 AM
What do you think the stock 595 will do better than a bike you specified?

BillG
08-02-2010, 08:41 AM
What do you think the stock 595 will do better than a bike you specified?

+1

jbrainin
08-02-2010, 08:45 AM
595? I dont get it. Maybe if you were looking at the 695 Ultra Mondrian…

DaveS
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
As someone who previously owned a 595, I'll just chime in that the bike was great, but look customer service was terrible.

Not that you want to be using customer service for any frame you purchase, but...

Charles M
08-02-2010, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't guess an upgrade going from a custom spec'd bike to darn near anything stock,

But I will say that Look have some of the best customer service in the industry... Not sure of the situation.

alancw3
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
As someone who previously owned a 595, I'll just chime in that the bike was great, but look customer service was terrible.

Not that you want to be using customer service for any frame you purchase, but...

now that is weird. i have not owned a look but from everything i have read and heard their coustomer service was excellent.

08-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I have owned a 595U and still own a serotta- The look was a great bike for crits and under 50 miles- I completed and trained for ironman on the 595. then promptly sold it.

I have to think that you are making a mistake-if you really want one look on ebay or call around to look dealers I am sure there is NOS sitting on the floor.

k

soulspinner
08-03-2010, 04:41 AM
Just stick the Di2 on the Serotta... :beer:

djg
08-03-2010, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't guess an upgrade going from a custom spec'd bike to darn near anything stock,

But I will say that Look have some of the best customer service in the industry... Not sure of the situation.

I bought a used 585 frame that turned out to have a broken ht cable guide. I called Look (USA) to try to buy a replacement. The guy was really nice, told me I ought to go through a Look dealer typically, but also told me he'd be glad to send me a couple as we already were talking. No charge for the bits or the postage. Seemed like good customer service to me (although I was only indirectly a Look customer on the frame -- seatpost and a bunch of pedals were bought new at least).

jblande
08-03-2010, 07:32 AM
i don't think the motivation is an upgrade

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=65288

djg
08-03-2010, 07:40 AM
So maybe it's not crazy. I happen to be a Serotta fan and a Look fan who has not sprung for a Meivici and does not intend to. But we all operate under different budget constraints and preferences and it's not for me to say what's "too much" for somebody else.

I figure, maybe some folks buy a Meivici not as the ultimate, made-to-measure one and only bike, but as one of several (or many) cool new things to try. I mean, really, does one trade up from a made-to-measure HSG Carbon, or a Crumpton, that actually fits, as an exercise in problem solving? Gee, if only my frame would . . . then riding would be fun again and I'd be competitive again? For whatever reason, the dude wants to try something new. I'm not really sure what his question is, but I don't see the problem. Look makes cool race bikes. Some folks think the electronic thing is the shhh. He wants to check it out, on his own dime (give or take 15 grand), so that's what he wants.

And what is the question?

BillG
08-03-2010, 07:47 AM
So maybe it's not crazy. I happen to be a Serotta fan and a Look fan who has not sprung for a Meivici and does not intend to. But we all operate under different budget constraints and preferences and it's not for me to say what's "too much" for somebody else.

I figure, maybe some folks buy a Meivici not as the ultimate, made-to-measure one and only bike, but as one of several (or many) cool new things to try. I mean, really, does one trade up from a made-to-measure HSG Carbon, or a Crumpton, that actually fits, as an exercise in problem solving? Gee, if only my frame would . . . then riding would be fun again and I'd be competitive again? For whatever reason, the dude wants to try something new. I'm not really sure what his question is, but I don't see the problem. Look makes cool race bikes. Some folks think the electronic thing is the shhh. He wants to check it out, on his own dime (give or take 15 grand), so that's what he wants.

And what is the question?

That and his bike got hit by a car.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=796014&postcount=31

Charles M
08-03-2010, 08:48 AM

LMAO,

There's that simple answer that us upidy folks tend not to wait for :D

djg
08-03-2010, 11:36 AM

D'oh.

Before crafting the long story, I shoulda thought of Occam's inattentive driver.

oldpotatoe
08-04-2010, 08:58 AM
now that is weird. i have not owned a look but from everything i have read and heard their coustomer service was excellent.

Used to sell 'em. On the only 2 warranty issues we had I have to say the LOOK gent on the phone was polite, energetic but it was like pulling teeth to get the proper frame sent. I think a lot had to do with communication with Look France and Look USA, things like mismarked shipments(different frame in a labeled box), mis marked packing lists and invoices but it took months in both cases.