PDA

View Full Version : buying neutral support gear

thegunner
08-01-2010, 12:42 AM
so, in the past, when i was looking for wheels, frame, or bike, people have suggested i buy used neutral support stuff from manufacturers... but, i have no clue where/how to do this. just wondering, do i just casually go over to the team tents at races and give a wink-nudge, and slip the guy a bunch of money before he gives me bootleg gear? or is there a more set procedure for doing this.

i'm not in the market for anything right now, i'm just curious :p

oliver1850
08-01-2010, 12:59 AM

SoCalSteve
08-01-2010, 01:29 PM
so, in the past, when i was looking for wheels, frame, or bike, people have suggested i buy used neutral support stuff from manufacturers... but, i have no clue where/how to do this. just wondering, do i just casually go over to the team tents at races and give a wink-nudge, and slip the guy a bunch of money before he gives me bootleg gear? or is there a more set procedure for doing this.

i'm not in the market for anything right now, i'm just curious :p

You may want to contact the team management or the manufacturer themselves.

I imagine you could get yourself in a great deal of trouble and even jail time for receiving stolen property.

There are legitimate channels to go through.

rustychisel
08-01-2010, 07:37 PM
I may be missing something here, but I didn't detect quite the same sinister tone in the OPs question.

In the early years of the Tour Downunder the neutral service car was run and stocked by my LBS, Mittiga's, who also happened to be Australian agents for Colnago. Hence, at the end of the race there was commonly a bunch of Colnagos with Campagnolo Chorus and Campagnolo wheelsets, most of which had been driven 1000km around South Australia securely affixed to the top of the neutral support car. Each year they were sold off, for peanuts, I recall, maybe $3500 sealed the deal... Why did I never go there? You put your 'name down' at the LBS and found out what was available the week after the race.

Otherwise, ask around at races, find out the gen, be above board and don't be a tyre kicker.

false_Aest
08-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I have a CAAD9, some yellow spray paint and vinyl letters for trade.

Looking for a Ottrott or Ellium with a steeper STA and a 53.5 C-C TT.

thegunner
08-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I have a CAAD9, some yellow spray paint and vinyl letters for trade.

Looking for a Ottrott or Ellium with a steeper STA and a 53.5 C-C TT.

LOL thanks for that :D

i'm not trying to pick up stolen gear or anything, much closer to what rustychisel suggested. a former teammate of mine had purchased a supersix from mavic neutral support, but me being an idiot, didn't ask him how at the time.

djg
08-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Beats me. I remember some years back when IF was doing domestic support bikes for Mavic, they sold the used bikes directly from the factory. As I recall, the sale had been mentioned on a couple of cycling boards. They seemed like a good deal at the time. If you can find out who built last year's support bikes, it's worth a call maybe. Obviously, it's not the sort of thing that's regularly available.

FastVegan
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
This year Sram N/S was selling older stuff at a local winter swap meet. Specalized tarmacs zipp 404 clinchers and groups. I thought the prices were a bit on the high side. Could check those.

Idris Icabod
08-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Not sure about neutral support gear but I remember Garmin selling off it's last years inventory, I believe directly on their website and Rock Racing got rid of it's inventory at a 'garage' sale. Allegedly USPS also got rid of new frames on E-Bay to fund other activites! Why not check websites, especially Mavic's or shoot them an e-mail. I would bet that it is a lot easier to get this stuff if you live close by the service warehouse location. It seems like such a hassle to put 50 bikes on E-Bay when you can sell them locally via word of mouth, and like you say these things are often at a killer deal so plenty of takers.

Charles M
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I have never seen an individual treat their gear as harshly as I have seen team personel and Neutral support people treat gear...

I'm not saying the mechanics are not good! But if you have spent time around teams, you know that this equipment is what I would call battle worn. It is not the same as civilian use (at all). It's a bit like double dog years versus people years.

If it were new and unused/ excess, you might have a deal on your hands. But I would not own used pro team equipment for anything other than hanging on the wall.

batman1425
08-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I was at the Trexlertown swap years ago and the then navagators team was there selling off their old stuff. Colnago's with campy chorus and record groups, stella azura wheels, for good prices at the time. Not sure where to go for the mavic or sram neutral support stuff though.

rustychisel
08-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I have never seen an individual treat their gear as harshly as I have seen team personel and Neutral support people treat gear...

This can be true, and lets face it, a pro's bike gets a lot of use, a lot of travelling, a lot of disassembly and putting back together, and a lot of truck time.
A number of years ago I had my heart set on buying one of Stuart O'Grady's Credit Agricole Look bikes (Look 264?? with 9sp duraAce)... had set up the deal, more or less, had an agreement he would bring the bike back to Australia at the end of the season. The team would only let him grab the training bike that year and he texted me to say he thought the deal was no good for me... a thrashed 30,00km groupset and bike which had been crashed a couple of times. Honourable, yes, but it was the bike that got away.

thegunner
08-02-2010, 08:29 PM
thanks everyone, i'll probably go about emailing around and seeing if they have any info on their end of season gear and whatnot. like i said, i'm not in the market for anything, i'm just curious.

like pez said, i know pros and such thrash on their equipment. they're pros. of course their quads could crush diamonds, but i was thinking more of the back up stuff that they don't really touch (not that you'd ever know what's what). surprised to see that the spec tarmacs were on the high side btw.