PDA

View Full Version : Loose rear drop out

A1CKot
07-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi, I purchase a Serotta Ottrott from a local individual in encountered this problem:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=220808

I road the bike a few times before discovering this problem and was really impressed. It compares really well to my Waterford and its a little lighter.

Thanks in advance,

-A1C Kot

oliver1850
07-31-2010, 04:03 PM

Louis
07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
how about posting a picture we can get to without registering?

OK, let's try to welcome the new guy with a slightly friendlier tone:

1) Hi A1C Kot, welcome to the forum. We're happy you like the Ottrott.

2) Post the picture here, where folks can see it with less hassle. You're sure to get a better response. (You can either upload it to the site using the "Manage Attachments" option, or you can link to an image that is already out on the web using the "Insert Image" icon (yellow square with mountain and sun)

Good luck with the problem.

Louis

kramnnim
07-31-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm an RBR member...

Screenshot of the forum page here- http://easycaptures.com/9133024538

A1CKot
07-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you had to register to view images. Heres the picture and sorry it from my phone.

The second photo is a clear picture of what I am referring to.

happycampyer
07-31-2010, 07:30 PM
It's hard to tell exactly from that photo, but it could be that the ST bearing is loose or needs to be replaced. If that's what it is, it should be a fairly simple fix. If there is a Serotta dealer near you, I would have them check it out. If there isn't one, a good mechanic should be able to sort it out with Serotta. Iirc, installation/removal requires a special tool from Serotta.

A1CKot
07-31-2010, 07:35 PM
It's hard to tell exactly from that photo, but it could be that the ST bearing is loose or needs to be replaced. If that's what it is, it should be a fairly simple fix. If there is a Serotta dealer near you, I would have them check it out. If there isn't one, a good mechanic should be able to sort it out with Serotta. Iirc, installation/removal requires a special tool from Serotta.

There is nothing close to a Serotta dealer near me. I found this when I was on leave at home and now I'm in Minot, ND. I don't really trust the lbs, at least not yet, to do any work on any of my bike so is this something I could do? Thanks for getting back to me I guess this frame is a little more complex than I thought.

happycampyer
07-31-2010, 09:16 PM
You could contact Serotta through the newly created concierge:

http://www.serotta.com/concierge/

They should be able to help you one way or the other. I don't think that you can work on the bearing without the tool, and I'm not sure how you would get one (and I don't think that it's something that you would want to purchase).

Charles M
07-31-2010, 10:38 PM
wow. That "clear" photo is one of my very first tries at using Arrows in photoshop...

Call Serotta.

A1CKot
07-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Sorry I stole your picture. I really need to get a camera.

Thanks for all the advice I'll see what I can get done this week and post an update.

oliver1850
07-31-2010, 11:10 PM

Pete Serotta
08-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi, I purchase a Serotta Ottrott from a local individual in encountered this problem:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=220808

I road the bike a few times before discovering this problem and was really impressed. It compares really well to my Waterford and its a little lighter.

Thanks in advance,

-A1C Kot

I see you are at the AFB and hope all is going well and that you are preparing for the "mild" winter there :crap:

Do not worry, it can be fixed, let the folks know when you send the note that you are in the service when you send a note and also ask them to talk to STEVE and say Pete is the name dropper. If somehow the time line gets too long or I can be of assisatance send me a note PETE

130R
08-01-2010, 02:55 AM
holy crap

there's a bearing in there?

Richard
08-01-2010, 07:50 AM
If I remember correctly, a multi-point socket (don't remember the size) will fit well enough to check tightness and remove and reset that cap.

happycampyer
08-01-2010, 08:52 AM
I see you are at the AFB and hope all is going well and that you are preparing for the "mild" winter there :crap:

Do not worry, it can be fixed, let the folks know when you send the note that you are in the service when you send a note and also ask them to talk to STEVE and say Pete is the name dropper. If somehow the time line gets too long or I can be of assisatance send me a note PETE
Have no fear, Serotta Pete is here!

Pete, you are the best! Please take it easy so you can recover.

A1CKot
08-01-2010, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. Minot is my first duty station and lets just say I didn't really know where I was going when I got my assignment. But its way better than I expected but I have lived through the winter, I work on the flight line in the elements. It can't be that bad, after all I'm from the Chicago land area and have felt the cold and the wind.

I will send an email out this week and see what happens. I missed most of the season already because of training so I'm happy ridding what ever and my second bike isn't that bad.

As a side note, this has to be one of if no the nicest forums I been on. It seems like all the threads are full of post from people who are passionate and will to help. I am glad I joined the community.

firerescuefin
08-01-2010, 03:07 PM
"Minot is my first duty station and lets just say I didn't really know where I was going when I got my assignment."

When I was in AF tech school, my wish list was as follows.

Worldwide, and Western United States

.......I got the panhandle of Florida.
Good news is I met my wife there and took up cycling. A1CK...thanks for your service and enjoy your time in.

A1CKot
08-01-2010, 04:10 PM
When I was in AF tech school, my wish list was as follows.

Worldwide, and Western United States

.......I got the panhandle of Florida.
Good news is I met my wife there and took up cycling. A1CK...thanks for your service and enjoy your time in.

Thank you for you kind words. My wish list was similar. Any base not in the US followed by Hawaii, Alaska, and the as far West as possible and the as far Southeast as possible. Oh well this place is nice. The biggest upside, I think, is in the winter no one leaves the dorms unless they have to. Its just that cold I guess. I will be able to finish out my schooling in no time! Oh yeah and my job is cool. Jet engine mechanic!!!