PDA

View Full Version : windbreaker, or rain jacket for bay area riding?

Dlevy05
07-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi everyone, I wanted to ask those in the bay area, or anyone riding in similar temps, what do you wear on colder winter mornings? I know in Oakland it can't get as cold as many other places, but I'm debating buying a waterproof riding jacket (saw a nice one at REI that fits me very well)... or a windbreaker.

Does anyone living in this area, or one with a similar climate, have a preference? What do you ride with? Long sleeve jerseys, too?

Any input giving me an idea of roughly what I should be looking at would be great. My whole life until now, I've been able to consistently ride in the warm afternoon, but recently have had to make the switch to either riding in the early mornings or evenings, when it's colder.

I only ask because I'd like to buy some gear now, to last me through the winter.

eddief
07-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Layers.

In winter I often choose lightweight long sleeve wool under a long sleeve thermally jersey, then PI Zephyrr light windbreaker. A little colder I might add PI wind vest to those three.

Or I also like short sleeve wool underneath and then wool armwarmers for sleeves. Then I have more options for disrobing.

If you are concerned about rain, then I'm stuck on my Showers Pass Elite. Not noisy, does not stick to bare skin, good windbreaker, great rain jacket. You can open it up in a bunch of ways, or close it down to keep in all the BTU's you are shedding.

Now when it is really cold I have some warmer underlayers...also Smartwool.