PDA

View Full Version : people you can"t take seriously on a bike.

dixiesdad
07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Any guy who is not a triathlete wearing a sleeveless jersey with hairy arms, everyone wearing their jersey from the latest big cycling event the day after the event on the bike paths, anyone going really really fast with a kid in tow in a trailer, anyone riding a time trial bike on the drops on the sidewalk, the bike path racers who are riding really fast in a mini pace line on the bike path, (the second one looking like death is staring them in the face), anyone who overcoordinates the color scheme on their bike and that involves the solid red tires, (a red stripe is ok) ,and finally the guys who ride with their spouse who have such a small ego that when a group passes them he has to take off and catch the others.

the converse of course are the families enjoying a ride which involves pink or white tires, guys riding with their wifes and enjoyng staying together, and getting smoked by a guy on a fixie on a slight uphill wearing converse all-stars and a bob marley t shirt.

One more thought I got back from France and wanted to share a web site with some cool tshirts..my fav is the broom wagon (not to be confused with Vanilla Speedwagen) hope someone finds the link helpful.
www.grupetto-shop.com it is in French so beware!!!!!

rugbysecondrow
07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Any guy who is not a triathlete wearing a sleeveless jersey with hairy arms, everyone wearing their jersey from the latest big cycling event the day after the event on the bike paths, anyone going really really fast with a kid in tow in a trailer, anyone riding a time trial bike on the drops on the sidewalk, the bike path racers who are riding really fast in a mini pace line on the bike path, (the second one looking like death is staring them in the face), anyone who overcoordinates the color scheme on their bike and that involves the solid red tires, (a red stripe is ok) ,and finally the guys who ride with their spouse who have such a small ego that when a group passes them he has to take off and catch the others.

the converse of course are the families enjoying a ride which involves pink or white tires, guys riding with their wifes and enjoyng staying together, and getting smoked by a guy on a fixie on a slight uphill wearing converse all-stars and a bob marley t shirt.

One more thought I got back from France and wanted to share a web site with some cool tshirts..my fav is the broom wagon (not to be confused with Vanilla Speedwagen) hope someone finds the link helpful.

you had to go there with the sleevless comment...not cool DD, not cool. :)

fiamme red
07-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Triathletes riding in their aero-bars, weaving through the crowds of runners, pedestrians, and wobbly children on bikes in Central Park on a Sunday in July. :crap:

dixiesdad
07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
the key is the hair on the arms not the jersey

BillG
07-30-2010, 12:30 PM
",and finally the guys who ride with their spouse who have such a small ego that when a group passes them he has to take off and catch the others."

Sometimes it's just fun to sprint and then come back. Sometimes my girlfriend reels in the group. It's not just about having a small ego. That's why we sprint at the town lines. :)

Acotts
07-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Lol with overly coordinated bikes.

These days my tire of choice is the one I win in a premie. My bar wrap of choice is the one I win in a premie. With exception to my CX bike, none of my bikes have matching tires any more.

Maybe its a racer thing, but my bikes gets uglier and uglier as the season goes along. They look like crap these days. Only the CX bike looks good. And it will look like crap come Feb (while my other bikes will looks fantastic! I stock up on new tires, chaines, cassetts and wrap on Team Night in November at our sponsoring shop. We get the stuff at cost. It makes bike pretty).

On the contrary, I love the guy in the ripped up race kit w/ 3 year old blood stains that'll never be washed out. It shows character.

dixiesdad
07-30-2010, 12:34 PM
BILLG you need the "born to be a sprinter" shirt in the link it is rather fashionable.

zott28
07-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Tourist on the Golden Gate Bridge on rented bikes, who don't look behind them before the decided to pull to the otherside of the path to take a photo AND who don't realize that they should be single file.

Racers on the Golden Gate Bridge who treat it as a time trial.

BillG
07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
BILLG you need the "born to be a sprinter" shirt in the link it is rather fashionable.

Very nice. I'm actually a terrible sprinter, I just like doing it!

BillG
07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=dixiesdadthe bike path racers who are riding really fast in a mini pace line on the bike path, (the second one looking like death is staring them in the face),[/QUOTE]

We call these "pathletes engaging in heroic feats of pathleticism"

MattTuck
07-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Racers on the Golden Gate Bridge who treat it as a time trial.

Han Solo did it in 12 parsecs.

Acotts
07-30-2010, 12:45 PM

^ nerd

ThasFACE
07-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Triathletes riding in their aero-bars, weaving through the crowds of runners, pedestrians, and wobbly children on bikes in Central Park on a Sunday in July. :crap:
Yeah, true this.

rice rocket
07-30-2010, 01:14 PM
you had to go there with the sleevless comment...not cool DD, not cool. :)

I ride sleeveless b/c it's cooler (okay slightly). It also avoids visible goofy tan lines; it's just further up your arm. ;) I don't have a Tri/TT bike though.

jvp
07-30-2010, 01:15 PM
riders riding the wrong way on the road, can't take them seriously except for trying to avoid them!

MattTuck
07-30-2010, 01:17 PM
I ride sleeveless b/c it's cooler (okay slightly). It also avoids visible goofy tan lines; it's just further up your arm. ;) I don't have a Tri/TT bike though.

The mark and goal of a true cyclist (well, white cyclists anyway) is when you're at the beach, and someone says, "hey man, aren't you hot with your t-shirt still on?" to which you have to reply that what she perceived as a shirt is just your pale white skin accentuated by your super dark arms.

Joellogicman
07-30-2010, 01:20 PM
and finally the guys who ride with their spouse who have such a small ego that when a group passes them he has to take off and catch the others.

But I would like to!

Every now and then I have seen people - usually guys - on their hybrid thinking they are MTBers and jumping short city curbs.

BillG
07-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Every now and then I have seen people - usually guys - on their hybrid thinking they are MTBers and jumping short city curbs.

I love doing this! It's fun. :banana:

Charles M
07-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Lol with overly coordinated bikes.

These days my tire of choice is the one I win in a premie. My bar wrap of choice is the one I win in a premie. With exception to my CX bike, none of my bikes have matching tires any more.

Maybe its a racer thing, but my bikes gets uglier and uglier as the season goes along. They look like crap these days. Only the CX bike looks good. And it will look like crap come Feb (while my other bikes will looks fantastic! I stock up on new tires, chaines, cassetts and wrap on Team Night in November at our sponsoring shop. We get the stuff at cost. It makes bike pretty).

On the contrary, I love the guy in the ripped up race kit w/ 3 year old blood stains that'll never be washed out. It shows character.

lmao,

I have no character! Damn it! :D

jchasse
07-30-2010, 02:39 PM
the key is the hair on the arms not the jersey

so, um, do you shave your arms?

And how long after a "big cycling event" must i wait before i can wear the jersey?

inquiring minds want to know :p

Acotts
07-30-2010, 02:54 PM
lmao,

I have no character! Damn it! :D

be honest,

Do the tires match the wires match the wrap? (doesn't count if its black)

fiamme red
07-30-2010, 03:00 PM
be honest,

Do the tires match the wires match the wrap? (doesn't count if its black)Worse than that: Pez's chain matches his saddle matches his wrap. :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=58346

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/serottascreenSAMPLE.jpg

Acotts
07-30-2010, 03:11 PM
PEZ,

I'm at a loss for words. :p

PM me your address and I will send you a pair of my old CAT 5 bibs replet blood stains and charlie browns to toughen you up a little?

Too funny.

goonster
07-30-2010, 03:53 PM
anyone riding a time trial bike on the drops on the sidewalk,
Trick question.

In this day and age, time trial bikes don't have drops. :cool:

Acotts
07-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Funny, there is a guy who lives by my brother who takes out his trials bike with like 8 inches of front and rear travel to hop curbs while his wife walks their tiny dog. He never does anything cool other hop on it like its a pogo stick. The bike has nary a scratch on it.

I always kinda thought the guy was an idiot. Then again, whatever...if it makes him happy.

Dekonick
07-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Paul -

When it is 100+ degrees with 80% humidity, you are allowed to wear whatever you want. What is funny is when you hear a couple of dorks bitching behind you because you are 'holding them up' - never mind that you are on a path and not the road... shared with rug rats, dogs, runners, and sometimes squirrels... and then once they pass you in a rush... (looking ooooh soooo cool in matching kits...) they can't shake you and you aren't even trying to suck their wheel, just maintaining a comfortable pace...
:beer:

FWIW - the path references is used to get between 'safe' roads and avoid major highways or roads in congested area's... and the dorks mentioned were basically being a nuisance to pedestrians and little kids (who are easy targets... I mean, they are kids and just not aware so it is our job to watch out for them) and everyone else using the path as a connection. I just don't understand why it is so important to 'race' or 'train' on a shared path... can't you wait the 1.5 miles until you get to open road?

Hmmm... ever happen to you? :beer:

Even more funny when you know you are a fast B rider, not even an A rider! LOL... or in my case, a B rider... not even a fast one.

:D

oliver1850
07-30-2010, 10:11 PM

pbjbike
07-30-2010, 10:22 PM

bikemoore
07-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Were you bored and just felt like offending a few folks? Just started trolling with a small list of nitpicks to see what you caught? How's the fishing so far?

texbike
07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
...everyone wearing their jersey from the latest big cycling event the day after the event on the bike paths, anyone going really really fast with a kid in tow in a trailer, anyone riding a time trial bike on the drops on the sidewalk, the bike path racers who are riding really fast in a mini pace line on the bike path, (the second one looking like death is staring them in the face)....

It sounds like you're spending WAY too much time on the bike paths and sidewalks. :)

Texbike

BumbleBeeDave
07-31-2010, 05:43 AM
My list would include people who judge others based on what they're wearing and how much body hair they have.

+1

I was gonna say something like this myself, but I was too busy shaving my shoulders. :rolleyes:

BBD

palincss
07-31-2010, 05:58 AM

You do realize, a parsec is not a unit of time, it's a unit of distance,
equal to around 3.26 light years...

palincss
07-31-2010, 05:59 AM
The mark and goal of a true cyclist (well, white cyclists anyway) is when you're at the beach, and someone says, "hey man, aren't you hot with your t-shirt still on?" to which you have to reply that what she perceived as a shirt is just your pale white skin accentuated by your super dark arms.

And let's not forget those white socks, or the white gloves.

JonB
07-31-2010, 06:01 AM
my favorite is people wearing their helmet backward.

goonster
07-31-2010, 06:53 AM
My favorite is people riding with their fork backward.

parallelfish
07-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Open quick releases, screwed on tight.

Can't count how many times I have stopped a rider to show him how to operate a quick release.

oldpotatoe
07-31-2010, 08:11 AM

Hmmmm..riding a bike, why is anything 'serious' about it, unless you are getting paid to do it?

thendenjeck
07-31-2010, 09:34 AM
My list would include people who judge others based on what they're wearing and how much body hair they have.

+ 10000 nice to see everyone here is so judgmental.

mso
07-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Hmmmm..riding a bike, why is anything 'serious' about it, unless you are getting paid to do it?

Yes.....Just go out and have FUN! :banana:

cinema
07-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Oh gosh you're coaxing out my cynical side...

The 20-somethings on city cruisers with expensive brooks saddles (while their saddle height and reach is already f'ed up so it doesn't ever matter how comfortable the seat is)

Those hip children with their handlebar mustaches and neon colored bikes they bought at urban outfitters, or used on craigslist for $500. I know I'm siding with the bike snob here but seriously, learn the value of a dollar and ride something worth the money you are paying for it (and something that doesn't make you look silly).

Dekonick
07-31-2010, 11:32 AM
I actually like all the kids on Brooks... in a year or two the used market will be flooded with 'em :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

fourflys
07-31-2010, 12:34 PM

wow, you have a lot of time on your hands! :D

This reminds me of the time I was in Electronics Tech school and there were two guys arguing about the nuances of the USS Enterprise hull numbers in each series/movie... I just had to shake my head and think that's why people in other ratings make fun of us... ;) (later I came to my senses and became a Corpsman...)

MattTuck
07-31-2010, 01:08 PM
You do realize, a parsec is not a unit of time, it's a unit of distance, equal to around 3.26 light years...

At the risk of appearing more nerdy than I already do, yes, I realize that. My comment was in jest, and a reference to Han Solo's claim that he made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

In fact, the reason that making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs is impressive is because the Kessel Run is 18 parsecs long. Think of it like an exit ramp off a highway. If you can turn a sharper corner, you cut down on the distance traveled.

Anyway, if you're so inclined, you read more about it here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run

michael white
07-31-2010, 01:35 PM
I say break all the rules, it's cool to be a clown, just not a jerk.

firerescuefin
07-31-2010, 05:08 PM
I guess my 2 year old in the Chariot must have really embarassed you when we passed you on the climb. I have had people pull over before we caught them after looking back and seeing that we would pass them, then pretend they had something to do (while be completely out of breath trying not to be caught)....just because they did not want to be passed by the guy with the trailer.

By the way, 2 year olds in trailers are amazing training partners.

To each their own..I will agree, too much time on your hands.

BumbleBeeDave
07-31-2010, 05:19 PM
. . . guys with complete zebra striped Domina Vacanze kit and a bike to match? :confused:

BBD

rwsaunders
07-31-2010, 08:15 PM

I answered this correctly on Friday's USAToday crossword puzzle....not while riding, though.

johnnymossville
07-31-2010, 08:27 PM
A guy wearing those primal wear jerseys with the shirtless Mr Universe printed on it.

rugbysecondrow
07-31-2010, 09:28 PM
I guess my 2 year old in the Chariot must have really embarassed you when we passed you on the climb. I have had people pull over before we caught them after looking back and seeing that we would pass them, then pretend they had something to do (while be completely out of breath trying not to be caught)....just because they did not want to be passed by the guy with the trailer.

By the way, 2 year olds in trailers are amazing training partners.

To each their own..I will agree, too much time on your hands.

I passed quite a few people in this rig today although I was decent enough to leave the sleeveless at home... Good times!

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/6e1efff3.jpg

thendenjeck
07-31-2010, 09:37 PM
that's awesome. i take you way more seriously than some dipwad with a $7k bike sitting at home on the internet making lists of people to make fun of who are out riding.

firerescuefin
07-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Rugby...loved the post. But please slow down, wouldn't want you to make someone's list of pet peeves. :beer:

Ray
07-31-2010, 11:12 PM
To echo what a few people have sort of said, the only people not to take seriously on a bike are ourselves. I'm the least serious person I know on a bike, except for the trying to stay alive part - I'm serious about that. The rest is all about NOT being serious.

-Ray

oliver1850
07-31-2010, 11:16 PM

Lifelover
07-31-2010, 11:21 PM
I passed quite a few people in this rig today although I was decent enough to leave the sleeveless at home... Good times!

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/6e1efff3.jpg
That is a super cool rig!

However since this thread is all about judging people, if I had my baby strapped on a bike with me I don't think I would be clipped in. Say what you like, but you can always get your feet to the ground off of platforms.

Elefantino
08-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Unless you're paid to ride, you shouldn't take yourself seriously.

:beer:

thegunner
08-01-2010, 12:46 AM

damn rugby, that's a huge gear you're turning over :p what is it?

oliver1850
08-01-2010, 01:04 AM

rugbysecondrow
08-01-2010, 06:45 AM
That is a super cool rig!

However since this thread is all about judging people, if I had my baby strapped on a bike with me I don't think I would be clipped in. Say what you like, but you can always get your feet to the ground off of platforms.

I have thought about that. It is what I am used to so decided to stick with it, I have some platforms I might try. It is a new to me ebay find surly travlerscheck and I am still working on the configuration...pedals are part of that. One he'll of a fun bike though. Coffee shop one day, fireroads the next, kids loaded up a few days later. :)

gemship
08-01-2010, 06:58 AM
The police in my town. They take the bikes out like once a year at a festival. It is too funny to see these decade old Trek mountain bikes that are at least a couple sizes too small with these obviously out of shape officers straddling them just standing there and staring at the crowds of folks. I give them a "A" for a good idea but they fail miserably to go about it correctly for all the obvious reasons.

indyrider
08-01-2010, 09:49 AM
that's awesome. i take you way more seriously than some dipwad with a $7k bike sitting at home on the internet making lists of people to make fun of who are out riding.

Yep! potd

Dekonick
08-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Probably couldn't have passed anyone without the arm shaving.

Luke looks a little upset ;)

Did the wondertwins try to pass you this trip and give you a *****ty look 'for holding 'em up?' Luke wants you to chase 'em down!

:p

The travelers check looks nice. Like the Brooks grips.

Dekonick
08-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Rugby...loved the post. But please slow down, wouldn't want you to make someone's list of pet peeves. :beer:

No need to worry about Paul. He is extremely careful when he rides. I had a similar bar mounted child seat but my kids grew too fast to use it for long. Now, with a sidecar and the trailer... :beer: :banana:

rugbysecondrow
08-01-2010, 10:04 AM
No need to worry about Paul. He is extremely careful when he rides. I had a similar bar mounted child seat but my kids grew too fast to use it for long. Now, with a sidecar and the trailer... :beer: :banana:

I would love to have a side car, I think that would be better than the ibert.

Luke liked the ride, only his second and he lasted about 1:15, I think that is pretty good for an 11 month old.

michael white
08-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I would love to have a side car, I think that would be better than the ibert.

Luke liked the ride, only his second and he lasted about 1:15, I think that is pretty good for an 11 month old.

my favorite part is the flames on his helmet.
seriously, I used to ride with my daughter in diapers in a trailer, and have never had such a fun time on a bike. although now we ride a tandem, and that is great too.

rugbysecondrow
08-01-2010, 12:04 PM
my favorite part is the flames on his helmet.
seriously, I used to ride with my daughter in diapers in a trailer, and have never had such a fun time on a bike. although now we ride a tandem, and that is great too.

My wife laughed out loud when I walked in the door with the helmet with flames. He took to the helmet much easier than my daughter. This was her first time in the trailer as she has out grown the Ibert and bequethed it to her little brother. The Chariot seemed like a solid choice, not the fanciest model, but she likes it and will ride in it. Luke likes the Ibert and seems to enjoy going fast so I try to oblige. It is a blast and it is really what riding a bike is all about.

dixiesdad
08-01-2010, 06:03 PM
sorry I couldn't respond to all the reactions to my post but had to go take care of my 83 year old mom who broke her pelvis trying to shave the hair off her arm while putting on her sleeveless ride the Rockies t-shirt and getting the trailer on her bike she could race the jack russel on the bike path. To clarify and answer the bikepath issue I can only get to my main riding spot by taking the bike path. I am consistantly cautious of the folks I described who come around corners so fast they are on my side, barely miss the strollers on the path, and I think they are bad for all cyclists. I just profiled the weinies who always are dangerous!!!!! The big event jersey people are exempt from that comment. As far the drops issue I mean in the super fast tuck position..on the sidewalk... sorry for the mistake. My main theme here is safety if you read between the lines. And yes I am very judgemental when it comes to someone who may crash into me or someone else because they are a bike path racer. I saw someone eat it 2 weeks ago and it was not pretty. My new name for these folks in now Mr. Sparky Mc Weiner. As far as when you can wear your copper triangle shirt...whenever you want and I applauud the effort.. I would not be so catatonic if they were not so damn ugly..... I am very sad however if no one looked at the grupetto web site.