PDA

View Full Version : roubaix stem: yikes

Climb01742
04-10-2005, 02:23 AM
check out the modified stem steffan wesemann will be using today to accomodate canti brakes. just what you want to being doing to a stem before a 160 miles of vibration...drilling a hole in it. guess it speaks to the strength of deda stems...or the courage of wesemann. :rolleyes:

cs124
04-10-2005, 06:52 AM
... I'm guessing the giant frame will be more likely to be a problem

Climb01742
04-10-2005, 07:06 AM
true enough, my aussie mate, zabel switched his carbon giant for an alu one.

97CSI
04-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Wonder what headset that is? Can see that it states 'USA' on it. A small hole give a nice place for stress risers to concentrate. Perhaps the older cable centering adapter than was mounted under the stem doesn't work with an integrated headset.

cs124
04-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Perhaps the older cable centering adapter than was mounted under the stem doesn't work with an integrated headset.

I had one of those cable hanger thingies on one of my old MTBs (a Giant actually!) with a threaded headset.

The cable hanger and the headset spacers had small lugs which were keyed to a groove in the steerer tube, so you had: bottom headset nut, cable hanger, spacer, top nut and then the stem quill dropped in.

An a-head set has no way to locate the hanger other than friction between the stem and the top bearing cap. Cobbles and vibration would cause a problem with this too.

The T-Mobile mechanic probably thought it would be easier to drill the stem than to modify a carbon steerer tube and a-head set to take a cable hanger.

e-RICHIE
04-10-2005, 07:32 AM
you don't need to use a cable hanger if it's for
one race and/or you don't expect to adjust cable
tension. many of the (our) cross bicycles have
drilled stems.

mad_mark
04-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Wonder what headset that is? Can see that it states 'USA' on it. A small hole give a nice place for stress risers to concentrate. Perhaps the older cable centering adapter than was mounted under the stem doesn't work with an integrated headset.

Probably FSA, it's what they normally use. The USA PAT# refers to the Dia Compe Aheadset Patent number, which they (FSA) produce under license.

I can remember seeing drilled Cinelli 1A and XA stems for cross, that would scare me more!

Mark.

BumbleBeeDave
04-10-2005, 02:31 PM
. . . did Wesemann finish? Did his stem break off?

Pictures, Man! We want PICTURES! . . . :crap:

BBDave