PDA

View Full Version : OT: More computer questions

dekindy
07-29-2010, 11:04 AM
I purchased a laptop for my son. It is the same brand and model series (Acer Aspire), operating system(64-bit Windows 7) but has a slightly faster processer, larger hard drive, built-in camera, and more USB ports than the model I purchased recently for myself. I paid only about $50 difference in price and purchased the original with the idea that if it did not meet my needs I would give it to my son. The original really does meet my needs except I do need more USB ports to connect all devices at once although it would not be that inconvenient to connect the external drive when I do a backup and the UPS software management cable as needed to access the UPS if/when the software is updated for Windows 7 64-bit capability.

So my first question is whether I should just keep the existing laptop and set the new one up for my son, or is setting the new one up for me as simple as accessing the current laptop's backup and do a restore to install those files and copy IE favorites to the new computer?

Second question - In my zeal to finally dispose of out of date hardware, cables, and software, etc., I disposed of Windows Office 2003 discs. A search on the internet indicates that these programs are compatible with Windows 7 64-bit but require a new install. Can I copy Windows Office 2003 from the old computer's hard drive to my new laptop, which I have turned into an external hard drive for the laptop by purchasing an enclosure thanks to advice from this forum, and make it work?

redir
07-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Note to self, always keep your software in storage ;)

If I were you I'd keep the computer you already have for yourself. You can get a usb hub to ad more ports if necessary.

In Windows you 'install' programs most of the time, certainly MS office, rather then just run a program out of a directory which is typical on Linux for example. The installation process writes to a database called the Registry which is sort of the gate keeper to all the programs on your operating system. In some cases an installation places files in different locations as well. So you cannot simply transfer files to the new machine and have it work.

Most likely the copy of Office you have pre-installed is licensed to only one installation. If you are trying to copy the installation to a second machine and then use Office on both machines, you're breaking the terms of the license. Essentially that's piracy, since you made an illegal copy of the software.

There is software out there that claims they can 'ghost' or clone in this manor but I have not tried it.

The license key is what is really important here. If you were able to get a copy of the same product, Office 2003 (what ever version) Then you may be able to install that and use your product key to activate it. The product key is located in your Registry so you will have to find out how to find it, probably not too hard. But you would need a friend or co worker or some one with the 2003 installation disk, same exact version as yours, who you trust well enough that you are simply borrowing the software but not the license key.

dekindy
07-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the USB hub projection. I will definitely keep the laptop already set up for myself and give the new one to my son. Maybe we can figure a way for him to enjoy the camera. He is handicapped and always enjoys seeing pictures and videos, especially himself.

I forgot to ask about XP mode? Is it possible to use this to run Microsoft Office 2003, (which includes Outlook and I have been told is now a standalone product not included in Office), on the external hard drive.

Lifelover
07-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Completely non helpful but had to be said:

You should have got a Mac :D