PDA

View Full Version : Great place to ride...

thwart
07-29-2010, 09:50 AM
No news to any of us locals, but always nice to have others praise the roads around here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/sports/cycling/28wisconsin.html

:banana: :banana: :banana:

BlackTiBob
07-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for posting.
Our bike club from Mpls/StPaul (Twin City bike Club) just happens to be going to Madison this Fri - Mon. We'll be hooking up on rides with their Bombay Bike Club (mentioned in the article).

Any Bombay members on here?
How's the Serotta shop in Madison, CronoMetro?

And most importantly, what's the best Mexican restaurant in town???

Bob in St. Paul

oliver1850
07-29-2010, 10:12 AM

oliver1850
07-29-2010, 10:16 AM

67-59
07-29-2010, 11:00 AM
67-59 says Pasqual's in a previous thread, but he's from Rochester. Perhaps a native will weigh in.

I currently live in Rochester, but I grew up in Milwaukee, have family living in Madison, and spent a couple of years living there myself...so I think I qualify as at least a semi-native. ;) Still, I'd be happy to hear if anyone currently living there has other recommenations, since I'm always willing to give new places a try....

By the way, there are two Pasqual's in town. The one I mentioned earlier is the original store on Monroe Street. Older building, which IMHO gives it the nicer atmosphere of the two ("nicer" in terms of more personality, not more fancy). The other is in a newer building near the Hilldale Mall - more centrally located with better parking, etc, but not the same personality.

One other recommendation: Some of the best ice cream on earth is made at the University of Wisconsin. The best place to get it is at the UW Student Union...where you can eat it out on the terrace, watching the sailboats go by on Lake Mendota. :banana:

Joellogicman
07-29-2010, 11:54 AM
One of my favorite trips is to pack the bike on the Amtrak from Chicago to LaCrosse and then riding home. I go to Dodgeville first night then on to Madison.

Depending on time, I either spend a day riding around Madison or then head back down to Fox Lake, IL and hop on the Metra back to Chicago

Bike store Yellow Jersey in Madison is a great side trip.

BlackTiBob
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
thanks 76-59 and others.

Would that university ice cream be;
"University of Wisconsin Union on Lake Mendota for some famous Babcock Hall Ice Cream"?
It looks like a Sat night ride is on the schedule with a stop for ice cream there.

Any other ride or restaurant suggestions are welcome.
I'm going to seacrh for "Yellow Jersey" shop now.

oliver1850
07-29-2010, 12:19 PM

thwart
07-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Must see places in Madtown:

As above, UW Union Terrace at the lakeside, either with Babcock Hall ice cream or a pitcher of good beer (or both... :D ) And very close by, stop to take in the view from Observatory Hill. Most of the UW campus, at least along the lake, is beautiful; walk or ride the Lakeshore Path to Picnic Point.

Newly refurbished Capitol dome is gorgeous, and very close to campus as well.

If there on a Saturday, the Farmer's Market around the Capitol square is a must.

Monona Terrace, Frank Lloyd Wright's pet project, remains reasonably close to its designer's plan. It is near the Capitol as well, overlooking the other downtown lake.

If you're a FLW fan, Taliesin is 40 miles west, surrounded by the best biking country in the Midwest, IMHO.

Many Mexican restaurants. Pasqual's is not the most authentic, but still undoubtedly good food. La Hacienda on Park Street is the real deal (maybe too real for some).

67-59
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Would that university ice cream be;
"University of Wisconsin Union on Lake Mendota for some famous Babcock Hall Ice Cream"?
It looks like a Sat night ride is on the schedule with a stop for ice cream there.

That is indeed the stuff!

Dang - now I'm hankering for a road trip, and other plans will probably keep me from making it to Madison before this fall at the earliest....

Louis
07-29-2010, 12:46 PM
If you're a FLW fan, Taliesin is 40 miles west, surrounded by the best biking country in the Midwest, IMHO.

I was thinking the same thing when I visited Taliesin about 15 years ago. The area around Spring Green seemed like a pretty neat area for riding.

Joellogicman
07-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Nice riding in the Spoon and Illinois River valleys too.

I recently found and re-read my college copy of the Spoon River Anthology. It got me to thinking about riding in the area. Good scenery and I understand Galesburg has a some pretty nice restaurants and things to do what with Knox College and all.

The only issue is getting back to Chicago. Illinois 2 along the Rock River is very scenic. With Metra going all the way to Dekalb County, it is tempting. Traffic can get pretty heavy on 2 though.

Some of the other routes back have less traffic but also less visuals.

Joellogicman
07-29-2010, 12:59 PM
That is indeed the stuff!

Dang - now I'm hankering for a road trip, and other plans will probably keep me from making it to Madison before this fall at the earliest....

Fall right before the leaf peepers is the best time to be there.

Leaf peeper time would be good to ride, were it not for all the distracted drivers.

oliver1850
07-29-2010, 03:13 PM

Joellogicman
07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
route 2 is indeed scenic, but too much traffic for me. shouldn't be too hard to find an alternate. Or just head back to Amtrak at Princeton, Mendota, or Aurora. If you go back to any of these you could ride part way on Hennepin Canal, I & M canal, or continue up the Fox River from Ottawa to whatever route gets you into Aurora station the easiest. Or just come out to Princeton and ride the 100+ miles of the Hennepin Canal. (sorry if we southerners have hijacked the Madison thread)

I have a full set o IL bike maps. I will have to plot that out tonight.

We are not hijacking as much as adding to the theme - Midwest has some decent riding. With Amtrak slowly coming to terms wth cycling, Midwesterners can put together some nice rides without spending a lot money or time.

PBWrench
07-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Eat your way up State Street and you'll find Yellow Jersey on your right. Absolutely fantastic shop with great history, atmosphere and attitude. If you're lucky you may see a Nagasawa or two.

weisan
07-29-2010, 07:06 PM
One of my favorite trips is to pack the bike on the Amtrak from Chicago to LaCrosse and then riding home. I go to Dodgeville first night then on to Madison.

Depending on time, I either spend a day riding around Madison or then head back down to Fox Lake, IL and hop on the Metra back to Chicago

Bike store Yellow Jersey in Madison is a great side trip.
Joel-pal, next time you do that, can I come along? :D :banana: I lived in St Louis.

LesMiner
07-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks for posting.
Our bike club from Mpls/StPaul (Twin City bike Club) just happens to be going to Madison this Fri - Mon. We'll be hooking up on rides with their Bombay Bike Club (mentioned in the article).

Any Bombay members on here?
How's the Serotta shop in Madison, CronoMetro?

And most importantly, what's the best Mexican restaurant in town???

Bob in St. Paul

Here is a link to the TCBC ride. It started today. Mad Town Miles (MTM) weekend events (http://www.biketcbc.org/events/MTM.html)