PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure for Vittorias?

mikemets
04-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi guys,

Just got my new bike, and have decided to try out some new tires, Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX.

The recommended tire pressure is 8-10 bars (116 - 145 psi) Do you actually fill them that high? I had been using Michelin Pro Race tires and filling them to roughly 115 psi (max recommended is 8 bars (116 psi)

Just that 145 psi sounds very high, and I carry CO2 cannisters for flats, if they work to fill the Michelins what do I do about the Vittorias?

Thanks,
Mike

dirtdigger88
04-09-2005, 08:58 PM
I run right at 120 psi on mine- I go just shy of 200#- One 16g Co2 cartrige will get my tires to 115psi or so-

I like the psi there because the tire seems to be supple but not squishy- I think they are too jarring at much higher psi- I did play with them when I first got them- 120 just seems to be the right balance that I am looking for- now if I could just get them not to cut so much I would be thrilled- I think these are some of the best riding clinchers I have ever used- but they are not so durable-

Jason

Blastinbob
04-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Mike, I run 100 to 110 in the front and 110 to 120 in the rear depending on how or where i'm riding, anything over 120 is too hard for me @ 190#.

Kevin
04-10-2005, 06:29 AM
120 psi

Kevin

Andreu
04-10-2005, 06:33 AM
Surely depends on how much you weigh and what you are doing with your bike?
A

marle
04-10-2005, 06:41 AM
i trashed my cx tires after only 600 miles on the beautiful westchester winter roads...my advise, switch to a harder compund tire and save the cx set for the summer.

Andreu
04-10-2005, 06:44 AM
...used them in the UK (generally wet) and they were eaten up in about 4 weeks. I would use them here (SPain) though because the weather and roads are much smoother on the bike. They are fantastic tyres (light, responsive etc) but a bit "fragile" in harsh conditions.
A

mikemets
04-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Thanks guys.

I've had great luck with the Michelins, but they're a bear to change on my Eurus wheels. The only reason I'm trying the Vittorias is because they are much easier to mount on those rims.

OK, now I'm off on my first real ride with my new c50, and with Serotta Skevan, aka Calfee Kevan no less.

Mike

toaster
04-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Isn't the logic here to read the sidewall and pump the tires to the absolute maximum they can handle just so the rolling resistance is the least?

Seems to me to be the case when the subject turns to tire pressure. Also, finding a brand or model that advertises some super high pressure ratings means something as well, doesn't it?

Climb01742
04-10-2005, 07:09 AM
i've had very good luck with my vittorias. they seem to be wearing quite well. i run mine just over 100 psi. very nice tire, IMHO.

CalfeeFly
04-10-2005, 09:24 AM
I'd take the company recommendation and pick a pressure you like. The higher you get less rolling resistance but on a bumpy curve they could chatter more. Of course your weight comes into play.

Bicycling tested negatively Michelin in one article. Michelin wrote that they used over the recommended PSI and that was why. Bicycling backed off. (This was awhile back when they were closer to a real magazine on the sport.) A friend of mine ran his Veloflex well over the 110 max written all over it and literally almost got a flat a ride.

I run my Paves at recommended 110. My Tri-Comps at 140 since they list two maxs depending on where you look. I run my tubulars right now between 185 and 190. They are the only tires that when I look back with my fat butt on the seat that don't look like they are going flat. (However even they compress a little.) The mechanic I work with raced for 17 years and runs his tubulars at 140 which is the same he weighs. He tends to bounce much easier. I have considerably more ballast.

If you are in their ranges experiment. I had my tubulars between where they are now and 140. Each was a little different. As I need all the help I can get I go with the higher pressure. :D

gt6267a
04-10-2005, 12:53 PM
i ride the rubino pros at 100 and they are fine.

Sandy
04-10-2005, 11:31 PM
I am assuming that you are talking about the Vittoria Evo tires. There are three that I am aware of- the EVO CX, EVO KS, and the EVO KX .I believe there may be a 4th now). The The EVO CX is the direct replacement for the old CX. The EVO KS is a slick tire. The EVO KX which is 15 grams heavier than the other two has more aggressive sidewall tread and a signifcantly thicker center section (not very thick but cetainly thicker than the other 2).

I use the EVO KX and have found them to be resistant to flats. I used to use 140 front and 145 rear. Now I am using 115-119 front and 120-124 rear. By the time that I am finished decreasing the psi I use, I think that I will be down somewhere between 110-115 front and 115-120 rear, possibly even lower.

Airhead Sandy