PDA

View Full Version : anybody do a paint panel on their frame

Smiley
04-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Ok , so I documented my F-up on my decal attachment on my Kogswell , so here is what i want to do . Paint a BLACK panel over the decal that I assume I need to scrap off , my goal is to re-apply a new decal over the black panel I will paint to cover up my fubar . Any ideas if you've ever done something this stupid . The frame has one coat of clear coat over the standard paint . Help with suggestions , Kryalon paint work ?

lnomalley
04-09-2005, 05:47 PM
a few years ago i was on a team that fell apart before it happened. we had merckx team sc's painted this way (it was my design):

Climb01742
04-09-2005, 08:36 PM
is that eddy's pearl white color? really sweet design. one of the nicest merckx paint jobs. well done.

Smiley
04-10-2005, 07:43 AM
guys I want to paint, yes me with a spray can a panel over my screwed up decals . Has anyone taped off their DT and done this before .

M_A_Martin
04-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Smiley dear,
If you paint over the messed up decals, you're just going to make more of a mess. It's going to look uglier than what you've got now because you'll have paint over messed up decals and your new decals won't have a flat surface to stick to so you'll still be unhappy because the imperfections will be magnified by another layer of paint and the new decal.

Since you've already screwed up your paint, and you're planning on painting a panel my suggestion is to take your handy dandy blow dryer and warm up those offending decals and remove them. That shouldn't be too hot to remove the paint, but it will get the uneven decals off the bike.

If you do mask off and paint a panel with a spray can, cover up the rest of the bike before you start spraying...don't just mask off the tube you're painting.

You know...around here you can get a frame sand blasted and powder coated for under 100 (I've seen prices in the $65 range to have a frame sandblasted and coated) and the turn around is pretty quick... I don't know what that would do for future paint options though.

Good luck smiley!

Smiley
04-10-2005, 03:07 PM
MA , the problem is powder coating is really expensive to remove , I had my powder coated KOGS stripped to get it ready for paint . My plan was to mask off and really strip the old decals off , I tried a hair dryer and no luck . So maybe a file of something sharp , then I can sand the tape off down and then paint ? Advise please :banana:

Chief
04-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I assume that you have tried acetone which will remove uncoated Serotta decals.

Smiley
04-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Cheif , I tried everything them decals are stuck on with something strange

Birddog
04-10-2005, 07:56 PM
MA , the problem is powder coating is really expensive to remove ,
It shouldn't be more expensive. I've had a frame done twice, once with factory paint, 2nd time with powdercoat, same price both times $25.00. BTW, around here they use "media blast" not sand blast. It is a softer material, gentler on the frame. Last time single color powder was $65.00, it's been a few years, so I expect it to be higher next time, but still very reasonable.

Birddog

Smiley
04-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Bird Dog , my Tiawan frame can be sand blasted in hopes that this will double butt the tubes , kinda like what Chris Chance used to do with Ti double butting , I think Seven did that too . Not worry with the wall thickness on these tubes .

Rapid Tourist
04-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Smiley, I knew the problem-solver in you would come shining through. The panel idea is a great one. You could do silver, white or black--all would look great. I would just hit the decal f-up area with a little 50 or 100 grit sandpaper, and then tape off a panel and hit it with spray paint. Fixed gear gallery is full of spray painted frames and they look fine. Just be sure to let the spray paint dry well before you pull the tape off. :banana: