PDA

View Full Version : Lance still in hot water over TDF final stage jersey incident

dekindy
07-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Citing the delay caused by wearing the black #28 jerseys and the the inconvenience to sponsors and live television, cycling officials are going to fine the team, riders, and leadership. Apparently Bruyneel made a derogatory remark in an internet post bashing the officials and their decision and will be called on the carpet by the governing body. From theofficail respones it appears that they may have been receptive to the promotion if contacted in advance and it could have been structured in a way that would have not caused such disruption. All penalties will be donated to cancer research so why not let it lie. I guess the UCI feels they need to control their race. What a novel concept!

firerescuefin
07-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Due to a combination of incredible arrogance, inability to ride for a teammate in a race that matters (to him), and a fan base that borders on cultlike in their defense of him (regarding anything from tactics to doping)...I have slowly developed a dislike for Mr. Armstrong.

Livestrong...great cause.

It just seemed a little bit like LA was trying to take the focus away from where it should have been....the 4 jerseys riding onto the Champs..especially the yellow one, but that's just me.

Louis
07-26-2010, 09:35 PM
The soap opera continues...

johnnymossville
07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
It created the stir exactly as planned. Pro Bike racing is only here as a rolling billboard anyway so all is good. The UCI says the fine will go to charity, (Cancer Research)

bobswire
07-26-2010, 09:55 PM
It created the stir exactly as planned. Pro Bike racing is only here as a rolling billboard anyway so all is good. The UCI says the fine will go to charity, (Cancer Research)

Touche!

SoCalSteve
07-26-2010, 10:19 PM

Oh, the irony...

TMB
07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
You do realize that the TdF is not the UCI's race???

And to suggest that the UCI are going to do anything to "penalize" Armstrong is a joke.

rwsaunders
07-26-2010, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=toomanybikes]You do realize that the TdF is not the UCI's race???

From the UCI website.

Press release - Team RadioShack to appear before UCI Disciplinary Commission

The International Cycling Union (UCI) wishes to announce that disciplinary proceedings will be opened against Team RadioShack, for breaching the regulations governing riders’ clothing.

The UCI regrets that an initiative for a cause as worthy as the fight against cancer was not coordinated beforehand with the Commissaires and organisers of the event. This could have been done whilst remaining within the rules.

Team RadioShack’s incorrect behaviour led to a 20-minute delay to the start of the final stage, which could have disrupted the televised coverage of the race, placing the Commissaires under the obligation to impose a fine on each rider and the team managers.

Team RadioShack subsequently breached the regulations by wearing an incorrect uniform on the podium for the protocol ceremony having been instructed not to.

The UCI also deplores the declarations made by Mr Johan Bruyneel who gravely offended all the Commissaires working in cycling. His remarks are utterly unacceptable, and Mr Bruyneel will be called upon to answer for his comments before the UCI Disciplinary Commission.

As the action of Team RadioShack was inspired by the desire to raise public awareness of the breadth of the global fight against cancer, the UCI has decided that any fines levied as a result of this matter would be donated to the Ligue suisse contre le cancer.

jlwdm
07-27-2010, 09:01 AM
They always fine in these situations and the companies being fined have no problem with that. Look at the kits and bikes Mario used to ride. Always fined and always great publicity.

Jeff

Gothard
07-27-2010, 09:11 AM
So, UCI wants to flex its quads (I'd say biceps, but in this sport...)?

The same UCI that has been averting their eyes since, hmmm... Forever... on the doping debacle?

Yeah right. The pot and the kettle. That is a worthy fight. :rolleyes:

texbike
07-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Blah, Blah, FN Blah....

You know, I'm glad that Lance is stepping out of the sport. This whole Love Lance/Hate Lance thing is getting really old.

Can we PLEASE get back to talking about something more interesting like leather handlebar tape, helmet mirrors, Rapha T-backs, or colour-coordinating our tires with our cable housing? :)

Texbike

ckamp
07-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Blah, Blah, FN Blah....

You know, I'm glad that Lance is stepping out of the sport. This whole Love Lance/Hate Lance thing is getting really old.

Can we PLEASE get back to talking about something more interesting like leather handlebar tape, helmet mirrors, Rapha T-backs, or colour-coordinating our tires with our cable housing? :)

Texbike
+1!

So, do my new white tires go with white cable housing? :rolleyes:

mikki
07-28-2010, 11:19 PM
I watched part of a special on Thomas Jefferson tonight that highlighted the hypocracy between Jefferson's lofty goals, his achievements and how he lived his life. ( ie: Jefferson was one of the largest slave owers though he wrote a document that is the foundation of America that states the rights of freedom for all). What they were saying reminded me of Lance.

Don't get me wrong...I don't put Lance on par with Jefferson but the program points out that often there are immensely great things done by those who are flawed or who have aspects of their personality that aren't socially or politically acceptable.

As far as the jersey episode, I think the publicity they have and will get from it will hopefully further the exposure to the LAF and cancer survivors. The directors or whomever the governing board is... do have the right to fine R for not presenting the jersey for approval. Bad Lance. I wonder if it's going to wind up being MORE publicity to have it gone down this way than if they'd gone through the proper channels? Does the end ever justify the means?

rustychisel
07-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Does the end ever justify the means?

Pretty big question for a mere bike rider.

Jack Brunk
07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
As a cancer surviver I say yes it does justify the means.

LesMiner
07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
I watched part of a special on Thomas Jefferson tonight that highlighted the hypocracy between Jefferson's lofty goals, his achievements and how he lived his life. ( ie: Jefferson was one of the largest slave owers though he wrote a document that is the foundation of America that states the rights of freedom for all). What they were saying reminded me of Lance.

Interesting observation. The Greeks as in Plato et al, were perfectly OK with slavery. It was more than acceptable to be a slave owner more like a statement of wealth and social position. The basis for Jeffereson's concepts was inspired by the Greeks and the idea of a Republic. So the Greeks were more hypocritical than Jefferson from our point of view. What was common for the Greeks would have unacceptable in the 18th century during Jefferson's time.

Auk
07-29-2010, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=mikki]
Don't get me wrong...I don't put Lance on par with Jefferson but the program points out that often there are immensely great things done by those who are flawed or who have aspects of their personality that aren't socially or politically acceptable.
QUOTE]

Absolutely. This is the greatest thing about the human condition. It is the person who can and does cuss like a sailor on leave, yet who has the biggest heart toward the people in the most need. It is why we, as a society, need to be able to stop putting people up as hero's just so that we can pick apart their flaws. Accept who they are, and be greatful when they do great things. After all, we are just as flawed/filled with potential.

Charles M
07-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Citing the delay caused by wearing the black #28 jerseys and the the inconvenience to sponsors and live television, cycling officials are going to fine the team, riders, and leadership. Apparently Bruyneel made a derogatory remark in an internet post bashing the officials and their decision and will be called on the carpet by the governing body. From theofficail respones it appears that they may have been receptive to the promotion if contacted in advance and it could have been structured in a way that would have not caused such disruption. All penalties will be donated to cancer research so why not let it lie. I guess the UCI feels they need to control their race. What a novel concept!

What this means is that the UCI didnt get the opportunity for Payola.

That's also where a lot of the rules on products come from as well as the rules on what teams get to be what level...

There have been loads of jersey changes for the Tour. But very few come with the dollar skimming opportunity that comes with a Lance jersey change.

SEABREEZE
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
The fact that this thread was started, in either case, where they would let the team ride with black jerseys or not, I beleive he acheived his goal with all this attention.

Depending what side of the fence your on, some will say for personal publicity, others will say for Cancer.

Personally I would like to see the livstrong foundation, strickly for his support for cancer, and his business enterprises with another name.

This way no room for second thought by the public.