PDA

View Full Version : FYI - FedEx, Signature Requirement and Shipping Value

rinconryder
07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
I learned a lesson this week when shipping a bike frame I sold to another Serotta member. Even if you check the "No Signature Required" Box, if the declared value exceeds $500.00, they will not respect that wish and require a signature for delivery. Needless to say it has screwed up the whole process and they will be paying for my "re-ship" if the purchaser cannot pick it up, but I was told none of this at the time of shipping and just wanted others to know this to avoid the same headache that this has caused me.

pitcrew
07-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I ship pretty regularly with FedEx and my local FedEx office always makes me aware of that when it's over $500.00

Sorry, to hear of your troubles....

John M
07-26-2010, 02:23 PM
I ship pretty regularly with FedEx and my local FedEx office always makes me aware of that when it's over $500.00

Sorry, to hear of your troubles....

My experience is this also. I ship through a Kinkos/Fed-ex outlet and most things are not over $500, but they remind me if so. It is a pain, but it protects the shipper and the carrier. They don't want to pay claims for expensive goods left on doorsteps.

davidlee
07-26-2010, 03:03 PM
On a thread drift with fed ex.. I've shipped a few bikes with them over the last month using their online shipping site and the droppping the boxed and paid for bike off at a drop spot.
I measured accurately and was honest about dimensions and weight to a "T" .
On both occasions fed ex later charged my card DOUBLE what they quoted me online. I called them immediately and they refunded the difference both times with no argument but I had to wait 1 week for the funds to "clear" on their end and I had to call back after said funds had cleared for them to issue the re-credit. They claimed their measuring tool on the conveyer belt mismeasured my box?
Total PITA and smells almost like scam.
Anybody else experience this? I wonder how many folks just say ahhh,oh well, and let it go.
thoughts?
d

SEABREEZE
07-26-2010, 03:32 PM
On a thread drift with fed ex.. I've shipped a few bikes with them over the last month using their online shipping site and the droppping the boxed and paid for bike off at a drop spot.
I measured accurately and was honest about dimensions and weight to a "T" .
On both occasions fed ex later charged my card DOUBLE what they quoted me online. I called them immediately and they refunded the difference both times with no argument but I had to wait 1 week for the funds to "clear" on their end and I had to call back after said funds had cleared for them to issue the re-credit. They claimed their measuring tool on the conveyer belt mismeasured my box?
Anybody else experience this? I wonder how many folks just say ahhh,oh well, and let it go.
thoughts?
d

Bottom line,,, take it directly to the fed x depot.. avoids PITA

davidlee
07-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Bottom line,,, take it directly to the fed x depot.. avoids PITA

Uhhh, waiting in line with the masses to me is a PITA too! :)
I switched back to UPS and no double charge . Oh well
Mabey just my luck :crap:
xo
d

rugbysecondrow
07-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Uhhh, waiting in line with the masses to me is a PITA too! :)
I switched back to UPS and no double charge . Oh well
Mabey just my luck :crap:
xo
d
The masses? Who here is above waiting in line?

When I have shipped with a declared and insured value above 500 fedex has always let me know. What kills me are the fifty dollars bars I ordered that were sent signature required.

At least fed ex won't beat the crap out of your package.

rinconryder
07-26-2010, 06:44 PM
I have had nothing but good experiences with FedEx and not knocking them or their policy - I just wish I had known and wanted to pass along my experience to everyone else here. They were kind enough to comp the shipping back if it comes to that, which I really hope it doesn't at which point I will simply re-declare the value and send back....they wouldn't let this change me made by me, the shipper, after the fact.

CaptStash
07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
...On both occasions fed ex later charged my card DOUBLE what they quoted me online. I called them immediately and they refunded the difference both times with no argument but I had to wait 1 week for the funds to "clear" on their end and I had to call back after said funds had cleared for them to issue the re-credit. They claimed their measuring tool on the conveyer belt mismeasured my box?
thoughts?
d

Interesting experience. A while back I had to get a FedEx account in order to ship a frame to Canada. With the account, I have discovered that shipping via FedEx ground/home delivery is surprisingly inexpensive. I have shipped a ton of bikes and gear this way, not to mention a couple of dozen boxes every holiday season, and always get charged exactly as quoted on the website. Since it's free, I think getting a FedEx account is worth the effort. The prices are always less than what you pay at a Kinkos/FedEx or on the web without an account.

Captstash....

JeremyFXDWG
07-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Another thing to watch out with Fed-Ex is Fed-Ex home vs regular old Fed-Ex.

When I get stuff at my house with the stupid signature required because of value it is always Fed-Ex home delivery. The Fed-Ex home depot is 45 min away from me and I have to go pick it up because they will only deliver it during the day while I am at work... But they require a signature... Of course the regular Fed-Ex warehouse is only 5 min from my house but they will not leave it there.

JP

bobswire
07-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Interesting experience. A while back I had to get a FedEx account in order to ship a frame to Canada. With the account, I have discovered that shipping via FedEx ground/home delivery is surprisingly inexpensive. I have shipped a ton of bikes and gear this way, not to mention a couple of dozen boxes every holiday season, and always get charged exactly as quoted on the website. Since it's free, I think getting a FedEx account is worth the effort. The prices are always less than what you pay at a Kinkos/FedEx or on the web without an account.

Captstash....

Bingo! Same here, saves fuss and money. Besides you can either drop it off or have them picked up. I've shipped dozens of bikes/frames and saved quite a bit. Also you can figure out the fee before hand, I've even cut a box down an inch or so and cut the fee by a third.

I avoid UPS like the plague.

SEABREEZE
07-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Once again, bottom line, Fed x is the only way I want to travel.

Tried the rest, there the best.

An informed consumer is our best customer, otherwise ask questions, its simple enough...