PDA

View Full Version : OT -- DVR Technical Question

Richard
07-26-2010, 11:04 AM
I have a Time Warner supplied DVR box and it needs to be replaced (according to them). I have a number of programs saved that I would hate to lose when I replace the box. I have a windows 7 computer and I am curious...is there a reletively painless way to transfer the saved programs to my computers hard drive and then replay them through the new box (maybe even transfer them back)? I have no desire to tether my computer to the TV, and I can't jetison Time Warner as there is no over the air alternative and a satellite just doesn't look good to my eye.

On another thought, as the DVR from Time Warner is about $15 per month, is there a recorder box that I could run the Time Warner signal through and replace their DVR (I would still need their decoder box, I know)?

Thanks in advance.

1centaur
07-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Painless is in the eye of the beholder. If the TW box has component outputs, there are ways of getting that content on a computer's hard drive (add-in card with component inputs is one). Some people have external hard drives they dump excess DVR content to. The pain is not the dumping, it's the finding out how. The Net will have lots of answers if you have the time.

As for the $15 TW DVR, for that you get the DVR, the service, and the channel changing device. You could instead get a Tivo with a CableCard, ditch the channel changing device but pay a small monthly fee for the CableCard, lose your VOD options from TW, and pay a monthly (or yearly or lifetime) subscription cost to Tivo for the channel guide data and great Tivo functionality. My impression is that at even cost most people would go to Tivo because their recording features are better/more intuitive/more complete than a cable company's DVR. But Tivo may end up more expensive overall. To me, it's worth it - I have 3 Tivos with extra large hard drives and I don't miss VOD from the cable company.

The budget conscious go to their PCs and use an IR blaster to change the channel on their cable box.

Richard
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
If I read you correctly, the TIVO plus card provides everything the TW Cable does with the exception of the on demand options. Correct? That would be a fine choice as I find the TW Cable boxes to be reletively troublesome. If Verizon shows up with FIOS, would the TIVO be adaptble with a card switch?

As to the dump, buying a card to save a few pgms is a bit over the top. I will look into a hard drive dump to see if it is a PITA, too.

Thanks for the information.

Squint
07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
A common complaint against TW on the Tivo forums is that they set the copy protect flag on almost all programming so you can't transfer shows.

Richard
07-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Squint...would that mean that the feature that the TIVO site speaks of...the ability to move recorded content to a PC wouldn't work? I suppose it means that the content of my current DVR would be lost, eh?

Squint
07-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it won't work and there's no simple hack to get around it.

I'm with Comcast and only a small number of shows are copy protected. I can't transfer those unless I'm willing to go to great lengths to hack the Tivo.

Richard
07-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks, I guess the primary question, though, is one of utility. Is the TIVO enough better than the TW Cable DVR to warrant purchase? The TW Cable DVR seems really clunky and prone to requiring reboots every few days. Of course, TW Cables system may be at fault, but they would never admit that or, maybe, be able to figure that part out.

Squint
07-26-2010, 03:08 PM
The Tivo is much better than any cable company's DVR. I bought the Tivo HD, which is one of the models that allows you to put your own HDD in. I saved a lot of money buying my own 1 tb hard drive. I can record nearly a week (160 hours) of HD.

Cable company DVRs typically don't allow you to upgrade their small hard drives and are notorious for their buggy software and clunky interfaces. I didn't have to read many complaints about the Comcast DVR before removing it from consideration.

cycle8110
07-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Richard,
The hard drives in Time-Warner DVR's are encryted, locked to the individual DVR. Even if you removed the hard drive and copied it (it's in linux format by the way), you could not read the contents. DVR's should never be used for long term program storage as eventually you will either switch cable service or need a new DVR. Sorry for the bad news. I don't know how much TIVO's let you copy content, but you may want to look into one. If your TW DVR is acting up take it in and exchange it. They do get newer models in from time to time.

Squint
07-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Tivo shows are also encrypted specific to each unit but you do get the option of transferring shows between Tivos or to your PC unless the copy protection flag is set.

I typically save anything I want and edit out the commercials to conserve space and to save myself the trouble of even having to skip over them.

Another benefit is the ability to send any video file from the PC to the Tivo and watch it there. Usually, that's stuff I've downloaded.

1centaur
07-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I bought my Tivos from weakknees.com. They have a forum and answer tech questions. They pre-install larger hard drives. Good source of information.

I forgot about the copy protection flag. I am on Comcast, and I've seen that for at least half the shows. I know some Tivo folks use an external hard drive dump for longer-term storage.

Richard
07-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks to all.