PDA

View Full Version : 36h Hubs

jblande
07-26-2010, 10:25 AM
I am building up a pair of 36h tubulars. Any campy compatible hubs other than Tune and Campagnolo out there that I should consider?

I am leaning toward the campy hubs, just because that seems to make the most sense.

I am just curious if I am not thinking of anything I should. Thanks.

Joellogicman
07-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Royce is a UK company and does not appear to have a U.S. distributor. The hubs appear readily available on line.

Cannot say that they are better than Campy, but are quite nice. Well priced and look good.

fiamme red
07-26-2010, 10:43 AM
White Industries.

jblande
07-26-2010, 10:57 AM
is there any reason to consider spending almost twice as much for the white industry hubs than campy record ones?

i can get record hubs for about 200€, the white industry hubset is about 400€.

oliver1850
07-26-2010, 12:20 PM

Joellogicman
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
is there any reason to consider spending almost twice as much for the white industry hubs than campy record ones?

i can get record hubs for about 200€, the white industry hubset is about 400€.

So hard to answer. White are nice hubs. Good looking, roll smooth, quiet and well. Quite durable from my and my friends' experience.

What with Campy, White, DT, previously mentioned Royce, etc. this is a good time to be buying hubs.

Ralph
07-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Hard to beat Campy Record for 36 hole wheels. I have a new set of Record 32 spoke Hubs on IRD clincher rims, and don't see how I could have any better hubs for all around use. Especially at Ribble UK prices where I got them.

Ahneida Ride
07-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Whites ...

Had good luck with mine ...

acorn_user
07-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Miche Racing or Primato, if you want to save a bit of money....

oldpotatoe
07-27-2010, 08:01 AM
I am building up a pair of 36h tubulars. Any campy compatible hubs other than Tune and Campagnolo out there that I should consider?

I am leaning toward the campy hubs, just because that seems to make the most sense.

I am just curious if I am not thinking of anything I should. Thanks.

No 36 hole Campagnolo hubs since about 2007. If ya have a pair of silver ones, made around 2006, use those. Velocity also makes 36 hubs, made by Formula, nice hubs.

oldpotatoe
07-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Miche Racing or Primato, if you want to save a bit of money....

32 hole only, at least from the one distributor I have found that have them.

bfd
07-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Another 32h or 36h option you may want to consider is the Grand Bois hubset. Jan Heine, the owner of Bicycle Quarterly and distributor of these hubs likes them and here is his review:

- The hubs are about as loud as a Shimano cassette hub, but much less noisy than some other aftermarket hubs.

- The cassette bodies are made from aluminum to save weight. This means that you should use a high-end cassette where the large cogs mount onto a carrier. When I tested the hub with an inexpensive cassette with mostly individual cogs, I got some indentation in the cassette body where the cogs had dug into the aluminum. It didn't
ruin the cassette body during my short test, but it might make the cogs hard to remove after prolonged use. I then I switched to a cassette with 7 cogs on a carrier, and only the three smallest as individual cogs, and no more indenting occurred.

- The rear hub's bearings are sealed with aluminum shields and rubber O-rings. I prefer this over many high-end hubs that have the bearings running exposed, with only the bearing's dust shield trying to keep the grit out. I cannot comment on how long the bearings will last
until I have worn out the first set...

- The cassette bodies are easy to remove, if you ever want to go from a Shimano to a Campagnolo cassette or vice versa. The Campagnolo-compatible cassette body is a few grams lighter, because it has deeper grooves.

Here's a pic:
http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/images/GBHubMR.JPG

Apparently, this hub is made in Taiwan by Formosa (sp?) and Jan wants $210/hubset; or $68 front, $150 rear.

Interestingly, it was also pointed out that this hub appears to be sold as the Ambrosio Zenith hubs:

rear:
http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/HB_ZENITH_S_R.html

front:
http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/HB_ZENITH_F_S.html

If the Ambrosio are the exact duplicate, you can save some $$$ by ordering from total cycling as the rear is only $62.22; the front is $48.38.

Oh yeah, the Ambrosio also come in black too.

Personally, if you have access to a set of 36h Campy Record hubs, I would use those and be done with it! Good Luck!

acorn_user
07-27-2010, 12:20 PM
http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/hubs_road/HB_MICHE_RB.html

Wiggle has them too.

Marcusaurelius
07-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Hope makes 36 hole campagnolo hubs but I'm not sure of dealers outside the U.K.