PDA

View Full Version : Canti brakes

sjbraun
07-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Last year was the fixed gear century challenge, so this year, me and some of the boys have decided to ride 24 hours in the Old Pueblo. Since we're all roadies, riding a 24 hour mountain bike ride will present some challenges. The first is coming up with a working mountain bike. I have a 1995 Stumpjumper that's been hanging unridden in the bike shed for the last 10 years. I've cannibalized parts from the Stumpjumper to support other projects and find myself in need of some brakes. What canti brakes would people recommend? (The bike came stock with XT brakes, but those are now in use on my cyclocross commuter.)
Will V-brakes work?

After this is figured out, I'll see if Rock Shox's "lifetime" warranty of the first generation Judy oil cartridge still is honored.

Thanks

Steve

JeremyFXDWG
07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Use V-Brakes. You will get more stopping power and easier setup. You will need new brake levers though if you still have the old ones on the bike...

JP

Richard
07-26-2010, 08:28 AM
I have a mixed set of XT/XTR v-brakes that I would part with for a reasonable price. If you are intested, let me know.

Dekonick
07-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Paul brakes

thwart
07-26-2010, 09:06 AM
I've had good luck with Cane Creeks.

Easy to install and fairly easy to de-squeal (which seems to bedevil most canti brakes).

Whoa... they may be just for road/cross bikes.

MerckxMad
07-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Tektro 720s. Cheap, easy to set up, and they actually stop the bike.

gdw
07-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Go with v brakes. Avid Speed Dial 7 levers and Single Digit 7 are cheap, work great, and bombproof.

dogdriver
07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
+1 Avid SD's. Rode them for three years on a Surly Karate Monkey SS with Cane Creek levers. Excellent function and modulation (they truly are "single digit", unless you need a total panic stop), no problems, low cost.

FWIW, Chris

Marcusaurelius
07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Shimano makes very good cantilever brakes and levers as well. I have used v brakes and cantielver brakes and I don't think you gain anything with v brakes.