PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about comparing my riding abilities to racers

Honey
07-26-2010, 12:21 AM
I know this is pretty lame/bogus but I want to ask. I put the screws to it on my ride the other day (Copper Triangle 80 mi w/ just under 6000ft Vail>Copper>Leadville route) and my on bike time came in just under 4:40, straight TT no drafting off cyclists or cars- no long stops just a few bathroom breaks quick food stops and water refills. I've been climbing a lot more this summer and feel like I've really improved in the area, and that's definitely the important part but we can't spend all day everyday on a bike so during the in between time I wonder a bit about how I stack up with guys who are doing a consistent race schedule. Clearly the best way would be start racing which I think I might but if anyone has any comments that would be great. Posts attacking this post/ calling me an idiot are fine (I know they are well deserved) .

thegunner
07-26-2010, 01:13 AM
you're an idiot.

:p just getting it out of the way so you can get some useful answers

mgm777
07-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Just some anecdotal data for you to consider:

2010 Colorado Centurion
50 miles/~5000 ft. Climbing
Winner - M45-49(not a PRO) - 2:30 - 20 mph/avg

2010 Mt Evans Hill Climb (Bob Cook Memorial)
27.5 miles/~6600 ft. Climbing
Winner - Pro/1/2 - Peter Stetina/Garmin Transitions - 1:50 - 15.3 mph/avg

Likes2ridefar
07-26-2010, 05:44 AM
this weekend my race in p-1-2 was 97 miles with 8500ft climbing and I finished in 4 hours.

i don't think you can compare racing and solo riding though since the drafting plays such a huge part in overall avg speeds.

go race if you want to find out.

T.J.
07-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Like the poster above me I race P/1/2 and like he said, so many variables. A good way to test yourself if you don't feel ready for racing in a pack is find a local TT.

flydhest
07-26-2010, 07:33 AM
If you have never raced, I would not make a comparison to a pro/1/2 race. Those races are a different world from even straight 3 races and a different universe from a 5 race, where you would start.

Second, I echo the sentiment that you can't compare solo to group/race ride. The drafting is one issue, as noted. Perhaps more importantly is the fact that in a race, you don't really get to choose when you go hard. Well, seldom. Sometimes you are the hammer, more often, you are the nail. Comparing how you do on a climb when you can set your own pace versus when someone else sets the pace, just past your limit, and you get shelled, is very, very different. Don't ask how I know.

I would say the easiest way to find out is to ride a group ride that has racers in it. You'll learn how to ride with a group, if you don't already know, and you'll get a better feel because you'll react to other people's efforts.

Dave
07-26-2010, 07:35 AM
You'd need to ride an exact race route, with recorded times from high level riders. The best I ever did on the Idaho Springs to top of Mt. Evans was 2:35, at age 53. I did that solo, with no drafting or pacing. Most years, that would put me in the top 10 within my age group, but the best of that group would be 15-20 minutes faster.

Ned Overend did the same route in 1:50 when he was 50. That was a world record time range (at any age) until Tom Danielson dropped it to under 1:43.

Pros don't get to the highest level just by training hard. They must have some genetic blessings that the rest of us lack. Even then, a few are far better than all the rest.

rockdude
07-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Get your License and do a few races. The Hill Climbing schedule is finished this year for Colorado. Keep in mind that even Hill climbs are not time trials, its more about handling the accelerations that keep coming at you once you are on your limit.

SEABREEZE
07-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Just some anecdotal data for you to consider:

2010 Colorado Centurion
50 miles/~5000 ft. Climbing
Winner - M45-49(not a PRO) - 2:30 - 20 mph/avg

2010 Mt Evans Hill Climb (Bob Cook Memorial)
27.5 miles/~6600 ft. Climbing
Winner - Pro/1/2 - Peter Stetina/Garmin Transitions - 1:50 - 15.3 mph/avg

Just using the stats of the non pro vs your stats, you are going to have to improve. If you begin to race expect the experience and the competitiveness
to have you further along then you are now...

Squint
07-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Do a hillclimb that's often raced and look at the results. Lookout Mountain, perhaps.

A decent racer can do Deer Creek Canyon/High Grade Road from Wadsworth to the schoolhouse in an hour or less.

davidlee
07-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Borrow a powermeter and do a 30 minute TT after you are fully rested. It will give you about all the data ( power to weight ratio) you need to know to compare to yourself the best.

Honey
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
much appreciated