PDA

View Full Version : Compression socks

Dan Le foot
07-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Anybody wearing compression socks after riding to aid recovery?I just bought a pair 2xu socks. I'm not sure if they do any good. But they do look cool walking around after a ride. Feel prretty cool as well.
(Well, I only need to wear one. Last twice as long)
Dan

Avispa
07-24-2010, 05:47 PM
I have been using them for some time now.... And they do work! I have done tests where I would use them one day after a hard ride and also not use them... and I feel the difference.

I find, however, that the best brands are CEP (http://cepsocks.com/), and ZENSAH (http://www.zensah.com/).

Using recovery compression tights in combination with the socks has helped as well. As for tights, the best brand by far is SKINS (http://www.skinsusa.com/).

They have a new tight called RY400 that is much better than their previous recovery tights.

..A..

CPP
07-25-2010, 01:43 AM
I've been using Craft's compression socks and like them a lot. I wear them often during the days as I'm a sales rep and do a lot of driving. Sometimes I sleep with them when it's not too hot. Maybe it's just a mental thing but I think that they work. I haven't tried using full tights yet.

wasfast
07-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Perhaps its a YMMV but I have been using a pair of SKINS tights for over a year and can't tell a lick of difference in terms of recovery. The amount of compression seems on the light side, as in not much more if any than regular lycra tights.

However, there's certainly not a downside to using the socks/tights. I could NEVER bring myself to run in them like some Tri folks do. Makes for a bad flashback of the knee high basketball socks of the 70's.

kgreene10
07-25-2010, 02:26 PM
I have been using Zoot socks (much tighter than 2XU) and sometimes Skins tights. I think that they help in recovery and they are especially useful for long airplane rides.

skijoring
12-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Anyone use compression socks in response to early visible veins varicose in the feet?

Steve in SLO
12-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Anyone use compression socks in response to early visible veins varicose in the feet?
I don't have varicose veins, but I spend many hours on my feet each workday and on a recomendation by a surgeon friend of mine, I started wearing some knee-highs, light compression and notice a difference in having no vs mild swelling after a long day. I feel a bit better, too. If I ride hard, I will use the mild compression full length hose for an hour or 2 after, and am sure I recover better for the next days ride. FWIW, I bought medical hose, not hi zoot sexy euro tights. They were about $35 (full length) and my medical FSA covered them.

Dekonick
12-08-2010, 05:58 AM
I don't have varicose veins, but I spend many hours on my feet each workday and on a recomendation by a surgeon friend of mine, I started wearing some knee-highs, light compression and notice a difference in having no vs mild swelling after a long day. I feel a bit better, too. If I ride hard, I will use the mild compression full length hose for an hour or 2 after, and am sure I recover better for the next days ride. FWIW, I bought medical hose, not hi zoot sexy euro tights. They were about $35 (full length) and my medical FSA covered them.

Source?

Likes2ridefar
12-08-2010, 06:25 AM
I used them most of this year after racing and training and think they help some. I've found when standing at work after training my legs felt more comfortable.

I tried a few and found slstri's socks to be of the highest quality.

Tights I found to be uncomfortable and too warm.

Mike126
12-08-2010, 07:07 AM
I have v-veins and wear them everyday at work. the key is making sure you get at least 15lbs of compression or more. Not too much though. My Dr. prescribed them.

skijoring
12-08-2010, 07:11 AM
I have v-veins and wear them everyday at work. the key is making sure you get at least 15lbs of compression or more. Not too much though. My Dr. prescribed them.

I'm going to see a podiatrist ASAP as I noticed the first ropy veins in my left foot.

Thanks everyone for the replies.