PDA

View Full Version : Lazer Helium Helmet

norcalbiker
07-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Anyone here wear this brand and model? Would like to hear your input. Good and bad. Especially the bad part.

Also, I wear a Giro Ionos in medium at the moment. So I take it that my size will be ML (md/lg).

TIA

protege55
07-23-2010, 09:01 PM
I have both helmets - giro and lazer. LOVE the lazer as the tightening system is really idiot proof and easily adjustable on the fly (and on the ride). The helmet sizing is such that I have plenty of room to put on a hat/beanie for the cold under the helmet. My giro fits great as well, but is snug to the point that it only fits with nothing under it.

Saying all of this, you should try one on. It seems to be a pretty neutral fitting helmet, but you never know. Their sizing is a little strange as well...

Either way you can't go wrong. They're both great helmets.

Charles M
07-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Retention system versus venting.

The Ionos venst better and they have a new RocLoc 5 Retention system (out in a week or two) that is very good. Easy to use, better shape for sunglasses and conforms well.

The Helium has Lazers retention system that is the only one that doesnt simply puch the front of your head into the helmet (the way all others do).
That means the shape of the helmet is less critical because the helmet is hel slightly off your head.

Their retention system goes all way round your bean. Venting is very good on the helium too.

Really close.

You're not going to hear much bad about either helmet.

tsutaoka
07-23-2010, 10:20 PM
i had a Helium and liked the retention system, but did not like its weight. i switched to a giro prolight...

dsteady
07-24-2010, 08:26 AM
I was a Giro fan up to the Ionos, which doesn't fit against the side of my skull and so leaves a lot of side-to-side play. I picked up the Lazer road race model last year and have never looked back. Their fitting system, is great. I think they're pretty well vented, but I haven't ridden enough with an Ionos to compare (I sold mine after 2 rides). I do a lot of riding in the heat of Chicagoland and Michigan and haven't yet felt overcooked in the Lazer.

dsteady
07-24-2010, 08:29 AM
i had a Helium and liked the retention system, but did not like its weight. i switched to a giro prolight...

The thing I don't like abut the Prolight is that it depends on the chin strap for a safe fit. Yet, the days when I would want the Prolight (hot days, climbing) are also the days I'd least want a chin strap snug against my neck.

Charles M
07-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Staying on track probably requires up to date knowledge...

2 versions of that Chin strap for the Prolite. I doesn't need the chinstrap now any more than most other helmets...

As for the IONOS side fit, That is also older news with the new retention system (Available in a couple weeks) making for a better fit all round the head.

The Helium weight isnt the old genesis weight. no scale here but it's notably lighter than genesis and blade models that most people have experience with...

dsteady
07-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Staying on track probably requires up to date knowledge...

2 versions of that Chin strap for the Prolite. I doesn't need the chinstrap now any more than most other helmets...

I may have to give it another look then.

The Helium weight isnt the old genesis weight. no scale here but it's notably lighter than genesis and blade models that most people have experience with...

I think the Helium is about 70 gr. lighter. I have the Genesis which feels compatible in weight to the Ionos, Atmos etc. The last Giro helmet whose fit I really liked was the Pneumo.

Charles M
07-24-2010, 05:39 PM
They are close, the old Genesis and Ionos and Atmos...

The Helium is 230 - 240 actual. That's not heavy by any reasonable measure at all. Prolight runs about 200 grams.

The new Ionos with RocLoc 5 is 298 The Old Ionos is 315. The Old Atmos is 285 or so. The Catlike Whisper Plus is 260 and change.

The Limar Pro 104 is 210 in USA form and the Prolight is 200...

Venting is best with Catlike Atmos and Ionos. The Catike and Atmos vent better at lower speeds than Ionos but all vent VERY well. The Helium vents a little less than the top 3 and the Prolight less than the Helium. The Limar vents medium. It hot climates it's notably less (85-90 or higher)

wrestlr
07-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Back on topic to the sizing, I came from an Ionos medium. Ordered a medium/large Helium which turned out to be too big. The "float" of the shell was too much when I tightened the retention system all the way. By this I mean that I could tighten the retention system to be snug, but it had to be all the way tightened and this left alot of room between the helmet shell and my head. The helmet would stay on fine, only looked a little big in the mirror, but I wanted something more snug should I go down. I ordered an X-small/small and it is perfect. Awesome helmet when you get the size right!
-Mike

m.skeen
07-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Back on topic to the sizing, I came from an Ionos medium. Ordered a medium/large Helium which turned out to be too big. The "float" of the shell was too much when I tightened the retention system all the way. By this I mean that I could tighten the retention system to be snug, but it had to be all the way tightened and this left alot of room between the helmet shell and my head. The helmet would stay on fine, only looked a little big in the mirror, but I wanted something more snug should I go down. I ordered an X-small/small and it is perfect. Awesome helmet when you get the size right!
-Mike

I've been using a M/L for about a week and I have to tighten it down all the way. My old helmet is a medium Atmos. Sounds like I need to send it back and get a XS/S. Back to the Atmos for a little while.

Love the Helium though. The RollSys system is great.

Charles M
07-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Yes, the Helium run large. I would order a size down.

kgreene10
07-25-2010, 02:30 PM
The Helium is 230 - 240 actual.

I have a Helium M/L and it tips the scale at 330 grams. Initially, I thought I loved the retention system. Tightening all the way around the noggen makes sense. But after a couple of rides, it just hasn't worked for my (seemingly odd-shaped) skull. Anyone want a slightly used one in white?

crownjewelwl
07-30-2010, 12:25 PM
I just got one delivered yesterday. There is a label in the helmet that says the weight is 330g (vs. the 220g claimed weight according to Competitive Cyclist). I normally wear a Bell in M. The Helium in M/L is MUCH bigger. Even tightening the retention straps all the way, it was still too big so it is going back.

For those who definitely want the helmet, Speedgoat Cycles has them on sale for $150 including shipping now.

velobran
07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I have the Helium. Upgraded from a Specialized Decibal (M) to the (S) Helium. Noticeable weight and ventilation difference - better all around. No complaints at all.