PDA

View Full Version : can i swap hoods without removing the shifters?

vqdriver
07-23-2010, 12:28 PM
i'd like to know if i can change the hoods on sram shifters without having to remove them from the bars. i think if they come off towards the front of the bike, i can do it, but i'm not sure where the biggest stretch point would be and obviously don't want to ruin the hoods.

GuyGadois
07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I was going to ask the same question but about Campy levers.

Guy

Bruce K
07-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes, you can swap hoods on SRAM levers without taking the levers off the bars.

It is tricky (I actually ripped one hood) but I have done it successfully several times (4 bikes and 1 re-do for new), switching the original black ones for white ones.

I didn't need any when I did this but I've been told that a little hair spray works well as a lubricant and evaporates fairly quickly with little to no reisdue.

BK

mandasol
07-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Guy

I was able to change out the previous gen campy hoods without removing them from the bars pretty easily. Haven't tried it yet with the current style.

I didn't need any when I did this but I've been told that a little hair spray works well as a lubricant and evaporates fairly quickly with little to no reisdue.

I tried this years ago, though it may depend on the hair spray that you use, but as soon as any moisture got under the grips they would slip around like nobody's business.

vqdriver
07-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Yes, you can swap hoods on SRAM levers without taking the levers off the bars.

It is tricky (I actually ripped one hood) but I have done it successfully several times (4 bikes and 1 re-do for new), switching the original black ones for white ones.

BK

depending on what you switched to, have you noticed if the original sram hoods are any more/less elastic compared to aftermarket?

and what method works for you? turning the hood inside out as you pull it off, or 'scooting' the hood as it slides off?

Bruce K
07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
I replaced SRAM original blacks with SRAM whites.

I have a set of HUDZ but from what I've heard they are a little looser and so, for the moment, I've left them in the bag so I can't compare elasticity.

I turn the handlebar end inside out, "unhook" the lugs at the shifter end, and then kind of wiggle/slide/plead and beg/etc. until the whole thing works its way over the shifter "hump".

Not very technical but it has worked pretty well.

BK

vqdriver
07-23-2010, 05:05 PM
thanks
i'll leave it out in the sun tomorrow and try it when it's soft and warm.... like a tortilla

Dave
07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Even the new Campy ultrashift hoods can be installed from the front without removing the shifters. The trick is to use rubbing alcohol as a lube, not hair spray. The alcohol makes the rubber slippery, but leaves no residue.

thwart
07-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Take my word for it, that is the only way.

Changing the hoods with the levers removed from the bar is a major league pain in the butt. You need the leverage afforded by the handlebar to do the deed.