PDA

View Full Version : sorta bizarre ebay experience-chopped handlebars

eddief
07-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I am working with the seller on this. Dave Thompson turned me onto Bontrager Flat Top Drops. No longer made, but the only bar I have ever seen with extended rearward drop section; comes way back. Much easier for me to ride down there with these bars. Dave only had one set to sell and I wanted two more.

I found a set on ebay. Won the auction at $.99 plus 12.50 for shipping.

They arrived today with the usual scratches, tape residue, etc. I generally clean stuff up before I sell, but that's ok. But these bars had actually had the drop section altered/shortened with a tube cutter. Seller said used and good condition.

Probably not worth getting worked up about and I would not pay to ship them back and the seller probably does not want them back. I think he ought to just give a refund and call it good.

vqdriver
07-23-2010, 12:17 PM
no pics in the listing? if there were, you may been able to see the "extended rearward drop section" wasn't so extended.
but still, if it's altered, then it should be mentioned in the ad.

refund the .99 ? you're right, not worth the hassle.

eddief
07-23-2010, 12:20 PM
full refund is what I would expect.

two photos in auction. one of clamp area, one with bar ends flat down on top of a table. no chance for me to know.

Lifelover
07-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I give you a 70/30 shot at getting a full refund.

If the guy is honest AND he cut them, he would have mentioned it. If he simply forgot he cut them, I suspect you will get your refund. 50%

If he bought them used and had no idea they were cut, not sure he will pony up the cash. 20%

If he is a dishonest DB and knew exactly what he was doing, he won't refund your money. 30%

Maybe try to sell them here first. I may even risk $14 to try some flat top bars and I don't really care all that much about the drop.

eddief
07-23-2010, 12:37 PM
he wrote back two words. resell them.

I wrote back the pen can be mightier than the sword and asked if he was sure this was how he wanted to remedy the problem.

What is a reputation worth on the internet; especially when you are a seller of a lot of stuff on ebay and bike forums?

cinema
07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Found the auction you're referring to, and yes, it doesnt seem like you would know that he cut them from anything on the site. all it says is GOOD CONDITION.

drewski
07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
This person is either derranged or is ethically challenged. Neither
are traits of good seller. I would give this person negative feedback
and be done with it. Obviously this person is not going to work with you.
The best you can hope for is that maybe you can inform other buyers
so they can avoid this yutz. Caveat emptor.

eddief
07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
seller requested i send him photos of the bars i received.

photos sent.

movement happening.

eddief
07-23-2010, 01:17 PM
nice to get things done right. leverage is good too.

slowandsteady
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
The problem with e-bay feedback is if you leave him (well deserved) Negative feedback he then goes head and leaves you Negative feedback as an "F" you!

Start a dispute with Paypal and with e-bay. See if he moves on his stance then...

Liberace
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
This person is either derranged or is ethically challenged. Neither
are traits of good seller. I would give this person negative feedback
and be done with it. Obviously this person is not going to work with you.
The best you can hope for is that maybe you can inform other buyers
so they can avoid this yutz. Caveat emptor.

Thanks, it's me- Liberace. I'm the derranged DB.

I actually had no idea they were cut until I received photos from Eddief. Call me a prick and derranged, but I initially thought he was trying to get something for nothing. It has happened a number of times on Ebay recently and Ebay does nothing to protect the seller. So if I came off as harsh to Eddief, I'm sorry. It looks like we have resolved it.

He gets a refund and will donate the bars.

eddief
07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks Sean/Liberace.

I really did try to do this in an honorable way and only half way through realized it was one of our own.

BumbleBeeDave
07-23-2010, 06:17 PM
The problem with e-bay feedback is if you leave him (well deserved) Negative feedback he then goes head and leaves you Negative feedback as an "F" you!

Start a dispute with Paypal and with e-bay. See if he moves on his stance then...

. . . that sellers could no longer leave negative feedback for buyers?

BBD

JeffS
07-23-2010, 06:32 PM
. . . that sellers could no longer leave negative feedback for buyers?

BBD

They can't, which is unfortunate, because there's a bunch of jerk buyers out there.

vqdriver
07-23-2010, 06:42 PM
heh, small world.
glad it worked out.
i suppose the circle could only get smaller if dave thompson was the seller.

hookookadoo
07-24-2010, 08:24 AM
This person is either derranged or is ethically challenged.

Isn't that all of Ebay? Ok, I know there are legitimate sellers out there but because there are so many "bad sellers" I treat a visit to ebay like a walk through a Bangladesh street market - trust no one and hold on to your wallet.

Exhibit A(one of many)
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=74949&page=2&pp=15&highlight=this+is+not+just+a+road+bike

Joellogicman
07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
They can't, which is unfortunate, because there's a bunch of jerk buyers out there.

Sellers were so aggressively playing the system - using the threat of a bad review to stifle any buyer complaint - that eBay felt it had no choice but to completely bar seller review.

In the event, there are no other online merchants who can publicly bad mouth buyers. Plus, sellers can still protect themselves by barring sales to people with less than a certain number of paypal transactions. I use 25 as my number.

SoCalSteve
07-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Isn't that all of Ebay? Ok, I know there are legitimate sellers out there but because there are so many "bad sellers" I treat a visit to ebay like a walk through a Bangladesh street market - trust no one and hold on to your wallet.

Exhibit A(one of many)
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=74949&page=2&pp=15&highlight=this+is+not+just+a+road+bike

And I have found just the opposite to be true. I have had close to 750 positive transactions both as a buyer and seller and not one time did I ever feel that I was walking through any kind of (racially unpolitical correct slur) marketplace.

To the contrary, ebay is the first place I go for pretty much all my consumerism. Anything from razor blades to household kitchen items, even furniture...

And, I always seem to find a guy or gal selling Dura Ace at a great price as well.

I have NEVER run into a bad buyer or seller in all the years I have been doing business on ebay ( 11 years now).

Steve