PDA

View Full Version : New trainer design being used at TDF

rwsaunders
07-21-2010, 11:52 PM
New trainer being used by Garmin...

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/race-tech-garmin-transitions-warming-up-on-unusual-new-trainer-27014

sw3759
07-22-2010, 01:37 AM
sounds pretty neat from the short write up,and an interesting idea.thanks for posting that

Scott

dekindy
07-22-2010, 03:12 AM
http://www.lemondfitness.com/training/lemond-revolution

I discovered the Lemond Revolution this week. It is so simple that it is amazing that nobody thought of it before.

I purchased a second bike to use on the trainer and as a backup. However since I took my primary bike in for maintenance I had to put a road tire on the backup. If I wanted to use the backup bike on the trainer I would have to remove the good tire and put an old tire back on. What a hassle. I am going to sell the backup bike and purchase this new trainer. Anybody want to purchase a KK Road Machine? Just kidding. I will keep the KK for my wife.

William
07-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Ergometer technology applied to the bike. Cool idea. Any idea on pricing?

William

LesMiner
07-22-2010, 06:47 AM
Sounds like they could add something like a PowerTap hub and you could use your Garmin 705 to pick up on power, speed, cadence, distance, etc. Perhaps Cycleops will produce a competing model.

BdaGhisallo
07-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Looks like a souped up version of the old BT-ATS trainer that the Aussie track team used quite a bit some years ago.

dekindy
07-22-2010, 07:42 AM

William

I requested pricing from a dealer but have not had a response yet. They don't normally stock the trainer.

CaptStash
07-22-2010, 05:10 PM

William

Exctky: So should be able to use physics and the fair assumption that the friction from the front half of a drivetrain for moist toad bikes is constant to develop an accurate ergometer; i.e., power meter. Too cool.

I want one.

captStash....

07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Exctky: So should be able to use physics and the fair assumption that the friction from the front half of a drivetrain for moist toad bikes is constant to develop an accurate ergometer; i.e., power meter. Too cool.

I want one.

captStash....

Moist toad bikes? Been riding in the rain too much?

1centaur
07-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Belt drive and no tire friction and STILL louder than magnetic or fluid trainers? I don't want one.

jmc22
07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Looks like it would rank right up there with another great product GL use to use...I'll stick with my Computrainer thank-you

witcombusa
07-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Anyone remmber The Road Machine from the 70's? I still use one 30 years later....

Very similar in concept...what's old is new again

jlwdm
07-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Lemond made good use of that bar.

Jeff

fiamme red
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
http://nyvelocity.com/content/equipment/2010/lemond-revolution-trainer

LegendRider
09-14-2010, 02:00 PM
It will be $549 - don't know if that price includes a cassette or not. Too bad it's noisy; otherwise, it seems like a neat product.

MattTuck
09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
http://nyvelocity.com/content/equipment/2010/lemond-revolution-trainer

I'm highly suspicious of any "review" of a trainer done by someone during peak riding season. Are we to believe this guy spent time riding this damn thing indoors when he could have been riding outside?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It reminds me of something an old girl friend's father told me once, "Never trust a thin chef."

Peter P.
09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
It's still a WIND trainer, and I don't care what the reviewer said about the noise level being lower than expected; it WILL be noisier than mag or fluid trainers. I should know; I owned an original Racer-mate.

Mag and fluid trainers provide plenty of resistance; many have flywheels which makes them smooth, and they're quiet. The LeMond Revolution is nothing new here. In fact, it's a step backwards.