PDA

View Full Version : Rest/recovery day off in TDF

john903
07-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Iam always amazed at how these riders recover they ride over 100 mi days consecutivly,over mountains at race pace, and get up and do it again. I rode Mt. St Helens last weekend 108mi about 5000' elevation gains in preperation for Ramrod. Next week is Ramrod (ride around Mt Rainer in one day) 154mi 10,000' it is going to be hard but fun I love climbing, but there is no way I could get up and do it again the next day. Has anyone here raced at that level, what do they do to recover, and can the average rider who rides 3000mi a year incorporate any of there recovery methods into our training programe? Doping aside, I don't want this to turn into a "they all dope" thread sure some do but is it diet, message, just being used to the milage?
Thanks

wasfast
07-22-2010, 06:48 AM
It's all of the above. 20-25K miles a year isn't uncommon for pro stage riders. At the minimum, you've had to recover in training to just do the mileage. Certainly the intensity day to day is different but overall, you can't go somewhere you haven't already been.

Certainly more interest in compression in recent years, whether tights, socks, or the inflatable "Michelin Man" devices Garmin is using.

Diet Hydration, and staying off your feet (don't walk when you can be driven, don't stand when you can sit, don't sit up when you can lay down, as they say helps minimize fatigue. Also remember that after the full workout for each day, most will sleep for several hours. Don't we all wish we could do that!

Above all, monitoring and tracking what works for you, especially diet and hydration, are important. Everyone is a little different.

dumbod
07-23-2010, 05:58 AM
All of the above is true but you forgot to add the most important part: these guys are better than 99.99995% of the world's population at riding a bicycle. You or I could train exactly the way that they do; eat exactly the way that they do, do everything exactly the way that they do and they'd still kick our butts up one side of Tourmalet and down the other (from either direction).

Tim
07-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Eric Zabel, who was notorious for the number of kilometers he used to ride when he was racing, is still riding about 12,000 kilometers a year, as well as working with HTC sprinter Cavendish. He's been riding some of the Tour stages- leaving just after the riders and then riding the stage alone.

1happygirl
07-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Don't forget the obligatory massage afterwords. Everything and nothing that doesn't contribute to their racing. It's their job.
Sleep in an altitude tent (when I looked several, several years ago) not much more than an average custom bike. How bout a 'cool' shirt. Saw one at HHH a couple years ago. Look, um, cool.

I've also see average riders improve over time to a level most "regular" peeps wouldn't think or would think it's unobtainable to them. Effects are cumulative. They started young and kept going even if not at an amazing or unthinkable pace. Spending every moment without a care in the world other then to train and ride your bike would seem to me to yield impressive results.

Try retiring (at a young age) and dedicate yourself to only riding. I bet most people would see impressive results and achieve things on the bike they never thought possible.

I'd kinda not like to believe the average domestique or peloton rider is any better than some members of this forum. It's just that for their job they chose to dedicate all their time to the bike. Mike Barry's dad owned a bike shop. I don't think he's been the standout but has been able to make a living at it (just like some peeps I work with!) No disparagement just using a name to bolster my idea. There is a lantern rouge in every place.

but I dunno, maybe it's a Jack Palance thing. It's that ONE thing. It's just different for everyone

john903
07-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. It certinaly seems the main ingrediant is more miles and quality verse quantity miles. I know from last year I fell better and am riding in bigger gears more comfortably. I also have added more protein to my diet and am not as sore. I have ridden more miles this year focusing more on quality miles verse quantyiy, which I think is important when the 95.5% of us have to allow time for family, kids, work, and school.
Thanks