PDA

View Full Version : Htc Evo 4g

jhcakilmer
07-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Well, I just bought my first smartphone. As a perennial Apple supporter, it was difficult, but after comparing them I had to go with the HTC.

What I like:
Large Screen (4.3") - I'm a medical student, and use my (ipod touch), or now EVO for a considerable amount of reading, looking up Rx info, diagnostics, etc

Android OS: very smooth, and efficient. Not as simple, or straightforward as the iphone OS, but allows more modifications to personal taste, preference.

Apps: not as many as iphone, but everything I need for school, and play. My Tracks is great for cycling, could have more features, but adequate. Google Map is probably the best navigation app that I've found.

4G: Data speeds are absolutely phenomenal, nothing else can describe it.

Camera: 8 meg with flash is impressive, for a phone. 720 HD video is also very nice, but haven't used it much. HDMI output

Browser supports flash: probably one of my largest peeves about the iphone. Yes, flash has it's issues, but Apple has other financial reasons to not support it, and it supports or is used by the majority of websites.

Durability: very solid construction, seems though it will be very duable, but I guess we'll see.

Front facing camera, and kick stand....surprisingly very useful.

What I don't like:
Battery: large screen, GPS, Haptic Feedback burns through the battery surprisingly fast. Turning off certain features (GPS, Haptic feedback, etc) extends battery life to respectable level. Battery is removable, which is convenient, if there is a problem, IMO.

Weight: phone is a little more heafty, than others, but since I've been working out lately, I should manage.

$10 extra per month for 4G service, even in areas that don't have 4G service.

Overall, the phone is great, and hopefully long term use with continue to impress.

indyrider
07-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Ive had my Evo for about a month now and I cant find anything to fault with it, yet. I came from a Palm Pre so pretty much anything is better than that anyway. I havent had any battery issues and if youre not on the internets much, it can last for at least 2 days(disclaimer: non-laboratory results and under the influence most of the time :beer: )

SoCalSteve
07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
I just love this series of postings:

First One::

Returned Evo
I just returned all 4 Evos back to Sprint. It's a great smartphone except for the battery life. We averaged 4 hrs in real time use with 4G, GPS, Bluetooth and sometimes wifi on. We have full 4G network here in Hawaii.

Personally, after my heavy use with the Evo, i find it too large for my hand.
Texting requires two hands to hold the cell. And the orientation from landscape to portrait is soooo slooowwww.... I went back to my Palm Pre and love it.

Bottom line, as much as i want to love it, you Can't do business with a phone that has no power. Worse still, one that can leave you stranded with no where to charge. Buy another battery? Yeah i can do that. But why? 4hrs average battery life is just too short for my use.

YMMV.

2nd one

Ummm... what did you expect with all of that turned on? I use 4g when I have coverage, and am near a power source. Wifi - same deal. No need to keep it on all the time. Turn it on when you need it, turn it off when you don't. Do you keep all of the lights on all at the same time in your house? If you turn on all of the power hungry parts all at once and have the processor multi tasking (it always is unless you use a task killer) you are going to have a short supply of juice. At least you can change the battery. Have you noticed the trend with laptops? A dedicated graphics card ON A SWITCH with integrated on the MB so you can enjoy your favorite games in the airport where you can plug in while stuck on a layover... then switchoff to save juice when you are away from the grid. The EVO gave you the option - you don't have to run full throttle all of the time...

As far as size - that I get. I love the big screen so it is just a bonus for me.

You can get a full day with the EVO if you use 3g with gps on and task killer keeping the system clean. It is all in how you manage your power consumption.

Still... I think they would have been better off with a slightly thicker phone with a larger capacity battery to allow you to use all the whistles and bells... my bet is there will be after market devices to do just that.

Loving my EVO.

Dekonick

Third Posting:

I stand corrected.

The Evo is awesome with everything turned off.

indyrider
07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=SoCalSteve]I just love this series of postings:

I would expect nothing less from an iphone honk!

SoCalSteve
07-20-2010, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=SoCalSteve]I just love this series of postings:

I would expect nothing less from an iphone honk!

Excuse my ignorance, please tell me what this means.

Thanks

jhcakilmer
07-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Well, ofcourse the iphone is great, unless you hold it the wrong way, or decide to view one of the 75% of websites that use flash. Or want to expand the memory, or change the battery.

Hey, IMO there's only one computer company, but I'm afraid to say, I remain unimpressed with the new iPhone 4

Dekonick
07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I just love this series of postings:

First One::

Returned Evo
I just returned all 4 Evos back to Sprint. It's a great smartphone except for the battery life. We averaged 4 hrs in real time use with 4G, GPS, Bluetooth and sometimes wifi on. We have full 4G network here in Hawaii.

Personally, after my heavy use with the Evo, i find it too large for my hand.
Texting requires two hands to hold the cell. And the orientation from landscape to portrait is soooo slooowwww.... I went back to my Palm Pre and love it.

Bottom line, as much as i want to love it, you Can't do business with a phone that has no power. Worse still, one that can leave you stranded with no where to charge. Buy another battery? Yeah i can do that. But why? 4hrs average battery life is just too short for my use.

YMMV.

2nd one

Ummm... what did you expect with all of that turned on? I use 4g when I have coverage, and am near a power source. Wifi - same deal. No need to keep it on all the time. Turn it on when you need it, turn it off when you don't. Do you keep all of the lights on all at the same time in your house? If you turn on all of the power hungry parts all at once and have the processor multi tasking (it always is unless you use a task killer) you are going to have a short supply of juice. At least you can change the battery. Have you noticed the trend with laptops? A dedicated graphics card ON A SWITCH with integrated on the MB so you can enjoy your favorite games in the airport where you can plug in while stuck on a layover... then switchoff to save juice when you are away from the grid. The EVO gave you the option - you don't have to run full throttle all of the time...

As far as size - that I get. I love the big screen so it is just a bonus for me.

You can get a full day with the EVO if you use 3g with gps on and task killer keeping the system clean. It is all in how you manage your power consumption.

Still... I think they would have been better off with a slightly thicker phone with a larger capacity battery to allow you to use all the whistles and bells... my bet is there will be after market devices to do just that.

Loving my EVO.

Dekonick

Third Posting:

I stand corrected.

The Evo is awesome with everything turned off.

Even I had a laugh at my expense :)

BUT don't forget that you CAN use all of the above if you want... not so on the ibrick... I mean iphone. I also agree that the Pre is a fantastic phone too! If only it could tether... wirelessly... I would have never changed.

A fully functioning computer uses juice. A toy uses a lot less... enerjy. Enjoy your itoy... :D I like knowing my Evo can do just about anything. Alas, Apple fanboys are a lot like ShimaNO lemmings :p - kidding!

legacysti888
07-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, I received my iPhone4 - all 5 of 'em for my staff and I in the mail soon after I returned the EVO 4Gs. 'Been a Sprint customer of well over 10 years and was quite happy with the carrier.

'Never owned an iPhone before this and I've gotta say, the battery, aps and syncs to Mac and PC has been so seamless I'm at a loss for words of how easy it is to integrate my business into the cell.

At the end of a typical 13-hour work day, I still have 30-40% battery juice left! This is with Wi-Fi, GPS, multiple Apps, push notifications every 15mins and a partridge on a pear tree ON from the moment I unplug it in the morning at 6am.

Zero problems with reception in my 2+ weeks ownership and zero dropped calls. 3G on the iPhone4 over here is only SLIGHTLY slower then Sprint's 4G network. YEAP - we unscientifically tested it in real time/life situations for a day.

Flash? Believe it or not, I haven't been missing it at all. I really thought I would, but I haven't.

Now THIS is what I call a work and play phone. :beer:

Again, YMMV.

rugbysecondrow
07-20-2010, 05:31 PM
I have an Iphone 4 en route, and I am looking forwad to it. I am stepping up from the ice age of phones, an old flip phone. I opted for the 32 g Iphone instead of the ITouch I was looking at. I think all phone companies are the devil, so ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Lucifer...all the same to me. With the IPhone, I didn't have to change infrastructure. My Ipod radios, charging units etc...once you commit to a system you need to stick with it. I committed to the Ipod a while back, and the Iphone 4 is an extension of that. Frankly, regardless of what I got, I would only probably know how to use 50% of it and would only actually use 25%, if that. I hope I like it, it would be hard not to coming from a flip phone.

Cheers

SoCalSteve
07-20-2010, 05:39 PM
I have an Iphone 4 en route, and I am looking forwad to it. I am stepping up from the ice age of phones, an old flip phone. I opted for the 32 g Iphone instead of the ITouch I was looking at. I think all phone companies are the devil, so ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Lucifer...all the same to me. With the IPhone, I didn't have to change infrastructure. My Ipod radios, charging units etc...once you commit to a system you need to stick with it. I committed to the Ipod a while back, and the Iphone 4 is an extension of that. Frankly, regardless of what I got, I would only probably know how to use 50% of it and would only actually use 25%, if that. I hope I like it, it would be hard not to coming from a flip phone.

Cheers

I am sure you know this...The iPhone has an iPod built in it. And now you have a 32 gig iPod with a phone attached to it... :D

Funny how polarizing the smart phones are. Kind of like Lance Armstrong...Only its a phone, not a person... ;)

GuyGadois
07-20-2010, 05:58 PM
I had no idea anyone but Apple made a smartphone. :rolleyes:

Dekonick
07-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, I received my iPhone4 - all 5 of 'em for my staff and I in the mail soon after I returned the EVO 4Gs. 'Been a Sprint customer of well over 10 years and was quite happy with the carrier.

'Never owned an iPhone before this and I've gotta say, the battery, aps and syncs to Mac and PC has been so seamless I'm at a loss for words of how easy it is to integrate my business into the cell.

At the end of a typical 13-hour work day, I still have 30-40% battery juice left! This is with Wi-Fi, GPS, multiple Apps, push notifications every 15mins and a partridge on a pear tree ON from the moment I unplug it in the morning at 6am.

Zero problems with reception in my 2+ weeks ownership and zero dropped calls. 3G on the iPhone4 over here is only SLIGHTLY slower then Sprint's 4G network. YEAP - we unscientifically tested it in real time/life situations for a day.

Flash? Believe it or not, I haven't been missing it at all. I really thought I would, but I haven't.

Now THIS is what I call a work and play phone. :beer:

Again, YMMV.

My battery lasts all day too - but I keep 4g turned off. What? No 4g? I guess you can't compare apples to ..... nevermind....

rugbysecondrow
07-20-2010, 07:11 PM
I am sure you know this...The iPhone has an iPod built in it. And now you have a 32 gig iPod with a phone attached to it... :D

Funny how polarizing the smart phones are. Kind of like Lance Armstrong...Only its a phone, not a person... ;)

I know that which is why I opted for it. I use a phone/device for so little that sometimes it seems that people quibble about features which they do not or will seldom use. I will use the phone, texting, music and internet daily...everything is a crap shoot.

indyrider
07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=indyrider]

Excuse my ignorance, please tell me what this means.

Thanks

Honk = Fanboy....with all due respect, of course

Dekonick
07-20-2010, 07:56 PM
As you can tell it has been a slow week... not much to talk about. :cool:

The debate will continue with no clear winner. What matters is service where you live. For those of us in the DC/Baltimore area, any provider is fine. I prefer Sprint because they are CDMA and have the best price. I actually use most of the features on my android phone, except GPS. No need for GPS as long as you are in a service area... after all... triangulation will get you as close as you need. No cell tower? Turn on GPS. 4g speed around here is a m a z i n g... 4+ megabit, even as high as 5-6 at times. 3g is also great around here with regular speeds around 2 megabit. I am fine with 3g, except when tethering because 4g is UNLIMITED DATA. I use my laptop and stream netflicks... don't think you want to try that with AT&T if you value your wallet.

Apple has a several year advantage in the ap. store, but android is already closing the gap and is open source. Hardware is a push, but the EVO does offer a slight advantage if you want performance. If you don't use the power of the multi-task capabilities then you won't notice any difference. From an ipod stand point, the iphone rules the roost. No competition there... yet...

I do wish the Evo had a keyboard like the 'droid on Vz... but... I can live just fine without one. One thing does bug me... why the one handed texting concern? what are you doing with one hand that prevents you from using 2? Driving? :no:

nathbdp
07-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm considering the EVO. Is it comparable to a Garmin GPS in terms of cycling data?

rugbysecondrow
07-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Just got the Iphone 4...pretty eff'n cool. It makes my laptop feel like a stone tablet. Anway, I can't compare it to the other smart phones, but I feel like I just walked into the party, somebody handed me a beer, pointed me to the pool and now I am just chilln...I could get used to this. :)