PDA

View Full Version : Refusing to wear yellow

Lifelover
07-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I really do not mean for this to restart the AC vs AS debate again but it has sparked a memory that I can't quite retrieve.

Does anyone remember the stage in the past wear the leader of the tour refused to wear the yellow jersey.

Was it LA after Dave Z crashed? Did the tour director convince him to wear it after the neutral start?

Anyone remember the particulates?

Bruce K
07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
I remember Lance refusing to wear yellow in a Prologue because he claimed he hadn't earned it for that year and the organizers convincing him to wear it.

BK

JMerring
07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
contador may himself have refused to wear yellow the day after rasmussen was booted. i could be wrong but i seem to recall that being the case.

e-RICHIE
07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
iirc that, er - "douche" (sic), contador refused to wear yellow after rasmussen was jettisoned from the tour atmo.

oops just saw that jim posted similarly...

Lifelover
07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Nevermind. Wiki Knows all

"In 2005, Lance Armstrong refused to start in the yellow jersey after the previous owner, David Zabriskie, was eliminated by a crash, but put it on after the neutral zone on request of the race organizers."

"In the 2007 Tour de France, he won a stage at the mountaintop finish of Plateau-de-Beille, and was second in the general classification to Michael Rasmussen. Upon Rasmussen's removal from the race before stage 17 for lying to his team about his pre-race training whereabouts, Contador assumed the overall lead and the yellow jersey, though he did not don it until after the stage."

Maybe this practice has more to do with JB than the riders. Good for them both.

Satellite
07-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Yes; Dave Zabriskie's crashed with 1.5 km to go in the team time trial during the fourth stage of the 2005 Tour de France.

Lance didn't want to wear the Yellow after Dave Z crashed out of Yellow. The directors told him to wear the Yellow or he would be removed from the Tour.

bzbvh5
07-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Trying to remember as well: I think the leader refused to wear yellow for a day when Michael Rasmussen (The Chicken) was booted out a few years back.

sr51
07-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Merckx too, didn't wear the yellow jersey after Ocaņa crashed out.