http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdOJLuePexs

David Kirk
07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Very nice.

dave

TMB
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Pathetic.

He apologizes for doing what he is getting paid € 4 million a year to do???

Pathetic. Really pathetic.

All because of a bunch of overhyped media spin.

He rode his bike, Schleck didn't ride his bike at the right time.

Tough.

jlwdm
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Let it go.

Jeff

gemship
07-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Pathetic.

Tough.

You're right except the pathetic part. I think this was a well mannered and sincere reaction by AC. He prides himself on being the best rider and the best sportsman. He gave a good comment and although he didn't break any written rules it seems like it was warranted. I mean even if someone isn't a fan of AC (like me) you have to respect him for that.

thegunner
07-20-2010, 05:21 AM
You're right except the pathetic part. I think this was a well mannered and sincere reaction by AC. He prides himself on being the best rider and the best sportsman. He gave a good comment and although he didn't break any written rules it seems like it was warranted. I mean even if someone isn't a fan of AC (like me) you have to respect him for that.

i don't really think it's pathetic, it's just smart. he burned bridges in the peloton yesterday, and this is just damage control. sure it might seem like he's admitting he did something wrong (if you watch, he doesn't REALLY say that), but it does much more good for his image to say this than if he continued to say he was 'just racing.'

William
07-20-2010, 05:31 AM
i don't really think it's pathetic, it's just smart. he burned bridges in the peloton yesterday, and this is just damage control. sure it might seem like he's admitting he did something wrong (if you watch, he doesn't REALLY say that), but it does much more good for his image to say this than if he continued to say he was 'just racing.'

That's the read I got as well....but then again, I'm just sitting here sipping coffee in my jammies talking out of my ass. ;)

William

dancinkozmo
07-20-2010, 05:56 AM
...so is he sorry enough to give the 30+ seconds back ?

victoryfactory
07-20-2010, 06:36 AM
AC was put in the situation to "apologize" by the reactions
of the public and media. If he was a little more mature he might have been
able to stick to his guns and say that this was not the time for waiting.

The riders will decide what was the correct action. I'll bet most of them
would have done the same as AC. It was too near the finish for any "unwritten" peloton rules or feel-good premeditated grandstanding.

He does seem like a sincere guy to me.

Finally, THEY ARE ONLY SECONDS APART! It's not decisive in the overall. There is
more racing to come, and after all, most famous acts of this type in the past
were actually calculated by the granter of the largess and only given
when it didn't seem to be pivital in race. Or even when it was to the advantage
of the granter tactically.
Also, how do you think AC's teammates would have felt after they killed themselves
to stay with him on that climb only to see him neutralize their work?
And in the case of Lance, these things
can backfire like the famous "gift" to Pantani .
Give me honest, aggressive racing any day. Let's see which of these guys
really has the fire in his belly.

VF

William
07-20-2010, 06:44 AM
AC was put in the situation to "apologize" by the reactions
of the public and media.

...the "press" actually includes some who have actually competed in the Tour. It's not so black & white.

He does seem like a sincere guy to me.

Doesn't seem like a bad guy to me either.

Let's see which of these guys really has the fire in his belly.

VF

I agree. New day, new race. Let's see what happens. :beer:

William

Climb01742
07-20-2010, 06:45 AM
content aside, posting a youtube video is smart use of "new" media. it gets his words out, in his words, and is linkable, as this thread proves. with more humanity than a tweet. savvy.

rwsaunders
07-20-2010, 07:28 AM
That's the read I got as well....but then again, I'm just sitting here sipping coffee in my jammies talking out of my ass. ;)

William

I see a large contract from ESPN coming your way.... :cool:

SEABREEZE
07-20-2010, 08:36 AM
I see a large contract from ESPN coming your way.... :cool:

But must stay in jammies and sipping coffee while commentating...

oldpotatoe
07-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Pathetic.

Tough.

AND nobody mentions that Sanchez and Menchov attacked right along with Contador but nobody is slamming them...He is paid to win, they both have sram, it could have happened to either one of them. It's bike racing. Contador will put 2 minutes into Schleck at the last TT anyway so....

SEABREEZE
07-20-2010, 08:59 AM
In another post reguarding this incident there was much criticisim. He made a video, now folks are saying positive things in his behalf.

I have never seen or heard of him being rude , arogant, cockie, thats not his character, if it was, it would of came out. Yes, I am aware of last years climb
against Armstrong.

He did slow down the peleton after the crash on the cobblestones when one of the brothers crashed.

Sure he made some mistakes, we all do , thats are learning curve. Grow from that and move on. Which I beleive he is doing...

oldpotatoe
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
In another post reguarding this incident there was much criticisim. He made a video, now folks are saying positive things in his behalf.

I have never seen or heard of him being rude , arogant, cockie, thats not his character, if it was, it would of came out. Yes, I am aware of last years climb
against Armstrong.

He did slow down the peleton after the crash on the cobblestones when one of the brothers crashed.

Sure he made some mistakes, we all do , thats are learning curve. Grow from that and move on. Which I beleive he is doing...

pelOton....

victoryfactory
07-21-2010, 08:01 AM
pelOton....

potatO

oldpotatoe
07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
potatO

Good one!!

Charles M
07-21-2010, 10:42 AM
AND nobody mentions that Sanchez and Menchov attacked right along with Contador but nobody is slamming them...He is paid to win, they both have sram, it could have happened to either one of them. It's bike racing. Contador will put 2 minutes into Schleck at the last TT anyway so....

The other guys had to follow AC...

Had Contador stood up and said

"I looked and saw what was happening and then I attacked. I wanted to cut the head off Schleck and I would guess my competitors will attack me"

I would have said "Hats Off Bert!"

The video is kinda spineless... (just an opin)

"I'm sorry / It's not like me / I wasnt trying to take advantage / The Others ....."

It could have gone 3 ways.

Dont attack a mechanical- everyone loves hime

Attack and say "I hit him as hard as I could and expect them to do the same - Lots of people like the new killer...

Attack a mechanical and make a stack of excuses and try and back out of it- I guess we'll see.

There's a possum sneaking in to the hen house and sucking eggs and then playing dead when the farmers dog shows up.

There's a wolf that barges in, eats the chickens and porks the farmers dog for good measure...

Bert had the chance to be the wolf and went Possum...

Rueda Tropical
07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
The high road would be a rider who expects and asks for no quarter but gives it even when not required by any rule written or unwritten. In the heat of battle neither Andy or Alberto cleared that bar. But both being decent guys who respect each other they have kissed and made up and promised to do better. Live and learn.

victoryfactory
07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
The video is kinda spineless... (just an opin)

"I'm sorry / It's not like me / I wasnt trying to take advantage / The Others ....."

It could have gone 3 ways.

Dont attack a mechanical- everyone loves hime

Attack and say "I hit him as hard as I could and expect them to do the same - Lots of people like the new killer...

Attack a mechanical and make a stack of excuses and try and back out of it- I guess we'll see.

Bert had the chance to be the wolf and went Possum...

I totally agree. He seems to have a mild personality that wants everybody to
happy.
He had a chance to become a guy with a cool nickname like Killer, Cannibal, Badger, etc
But so far he's sticking with "you can call me Al"

VF

1centaur
07-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Nice guy with a killer instinct and a nice guy's second thoughts. Not a typical alpha athlete.

Charles M
07-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Might also be a nice guys with a press agent with second thoughts... If that's the case, I would say letting Bert be Bert would have been better than having Bert wear skirt...

Rueda Tropical
07-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Might also be a nice guys with a press agent with second thoughts... If that's the case, I would say letting Bert be Bert would have been better than having Bert wear skirt...

The finger bang is definitive evidence that there is no marketing / PR machine behind Alberto. I think he is managed by his brother. What you see is what you get.

Karin Kirk
07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
The finger bang is definitive evidence that there is no marketing / PR machine behind Alberto....

Spot on! :banana: