PDA

View Full Version : Ot: 8mph Fender Bender

Mikej
07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
So, I thought I'd get a burrito during lunch, I have to go through road construction to get there, light turned green, car in front of me goes and stops (due to backed up traffic) before I can. His car = bumper has paint from my car, my car = hood folded. I hope he doesn't have any injury that would effect his life. Anybody out there have any words about possible injury to the other guy?

lemondsteel
07-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Identical thing happened to my son only she pulled out onto a 3 lane from an entry ramp. Took off decided it wasn't clear and pulled right to the emergency lane. My son goes when it's clear and she whips back on to the road in fron of him. The paint on my sons bumper rubbrd right off with polishing compound. Her bumper had a dimple. His fought and she claims a neck injury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Insurnace agent said there has been a rash of injury claims on very minor accident because of the economy. Insurance company paid her claim. Said it wasn't worth fighting. And we all wonder why are rates are so high! GIVE ME A BREAK!

Mikej
07-19-2010, 04:32 PM
I offered to pay for his older model car repair in cash wich would have been money in his pocket since there was not really anything to fix, he wanted cops, so I'm guessing he will pursue a claim. I did hit him, but I hope It doesn't cause him to miss out on summer, you know?....stupid burrito..

pdmtong
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Sorry this happened, but in this litigous society I think it's prudent to file a claim rather than "settle as gentleman". Even if I had a coupla scratches, the fact you folded your hood is enough for me to get it on the record. It's a bummer for you, but these things go away in time. Just do your best to let it go and move on. It was "an accident" after all. hard to speculate on his injury or lack of, since pre-existing unknown and even the slightest tap at the wrong angle can lead to trouble. hopefully, he'll just get it checked and both of you back to normal quickly

gone
07-19-2010, 05:44 PM
I had a similar incident about 20 years ago, driving along looking for an address and the car in front of me stopped suddenly. Was going about 10-12 MPH at impact and did minor damage (scratched paint on bumpers) to both cars. The driver was a teenage girl with a bunch of tats and just about studs in everything that could be pierced who was undoubtedly on her way to go slam dancing and mosh pit diving that evening. She said "no biggie" but we exchanged information anyway. Later, after talking to her Mom, she suddenly developed "neck pain" and a minor fender bender became an injury accident on my insurance.

She more than likely used the insurance settlement to get something else pierced.

And that's why your rates are so high.

Mike748
07-19-2010, 06:06 PM
My wife lightly rear ended someone 2 years ago like that. Initially it was all friendly, and I was thinking we should have just paid her cash to fix the minor damage. Then the other driver decided her neck hurt and I was happy the insurance company took care of the details.

I had someone hit me while I was stopped at a light. He said it was his fault, gave me his insurance details etc. No police report. I had a few sleepless nights wondering what if he bails on me and denies everything later? Fortunately he didn't, but I'm going to get a police report next time if my car is damaged.

rcnute
07-19-2010, 06:08 PM
People get hurt all the time in "minor" accidents and can walk away unscathed from "major" accidents. Those who say otherwise don't know what they're talking about.