PDA

View Full Version : ride across indiana report, and why swa doesn't suck as bad as delta

pbbob
07-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Just got back from the ride. Terre Haute to Richmond. 160 miles.
Geez, what a long and boring bike ride!
But first, I flew SWA. I got to the counter to check in. The agent said to me, Where you going Robert?
Indinaplis.
what kind of bike do you have?
custom made.
Carbon?
steel.
Not much of a conversation but much better than the usual which goes something like:
Bicycle?
Yes
Show me the money.
I got to the start of the ride on saturday with 2 goals. 1. finish strong and 2. look marvelous at the end.
So I left about 7 with 1300 to 1500 similar minded knuckleheads for a long day of 90 plus degree weather and a tiny breeze. First 44 miles down old highway 40 were slightly rolling and uneventful. yawn.
Got to just outside Plainfield [what an unimaginative name for a town, but first time I had been there since I was 3 years old] when I saw one of the most disturbing sights in all of recreational cycling.
Some guy was sitting in the grass, surrounded by a couple of his buddies, stroking his mini-pump.
Guys.
Please.
Get a room or get a zefal!
Stopped at the rest stop down the road for an extended period of time due to gi problems. Then the ride turned to go on a detour through the south of the capital city. Stop light after stop sign after stoplight on rough torn up roads and streets. And then on a short potholed stretch a rather extra plus sized helmetless woman on a harley rolls along side of me at 15 mph and says, "can I race with you?" :crap:
Why is it I always look mahvelous to all the wrong people?
There was a lunch stop at mile 91. One word description. Unsanitary. But I carried my own lunch, so no big deal. Good luck to everyone who stopped and ate something.
Eventually we got back to highway 40 and it was a straight fast florida flat ride into Richmond. Hot. no shade. some fields. Ignore the scenery and just get the damn ride over with.
But still it was a nice weekend to be away.
I accomplished my goals. I finished strong after all the gi problems and my fan club has grown by 1 person.

rugbysecondrow
07-19-2010, 07:48 AM
And then on a short potholed stretch a rather extra plus sized helmetless woman on a harley rolls along side of me at 15 mph and says, "can I race with you?" :crap:
Why is it I always look mahvelous to all the wrong people?

A little extra never hurt anyone. Next time, if you have the freetime and a little imagination, you go for it. :beer:

SEABREEZE
07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
"I accomplished my goals. I finished strong after all the gi problems and my fan club has grown by 1 person."

Yepp, the extra plus sized helmetless woman on a harley, who was flerting with you...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Congrad, on the strong finish...

dekindy
07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
I finished in a disappointing 11+ hours. This was my fourth year and was hoping for a breakout year and an epic ride. However my riding buddy that stayed with me faithfully the first three years had a bad day so I stayed with him until near the end when his wife came along with the van and could look after him. He eventually cramped and was forced to walk a half mile up the last major uphill but did finish. I felt that I could have gone much faster but there were a lot of folks suffering so I don't know for certain since I have not ridden that far this year in conditions as hot and humid as Saturday.

We stayed at the Pear Tree Inn this year which is owned by Drury Inn and is across the parking lot from the Drury Inn registration site. On the other side was a Lone Star Steakhouse. We parked the van and did not have to fight traffic, parking, or crowds and had a leisurely evening. This is the plan for next year.

dekindy
07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Some guy was sitting in the grass, surrounded by a couple of his buddies, stroking his mini-pump.
Guys.
Please.
Get a room or get a zefal!

???????

snah
07-19-2010, 10:52 AM
First time riding RAIN this year, averaged 22 thru lunch, dropped to about 21 average when I reached Knightstown. That's when it all fell apart, cramped the rest of the way to Richmond, finished at just under 10 hours. Long, very hot day, typical Indiana for July.

My riding partner, after using me to pull him thru the first 100+ miles, dropped me with about 25 left to reach his personal best. Those last 25 might be the worst I've ever endured.

fourflys
07-19-2010, 11:04 AM
To the OP-

Could you be anymore pessamistic? Did you not look at the route beforehand? What made you think to do the ride in the first place? I grew up 19 years in central Indiana and there's a reason I joined the military and left... But, I don't go on the net and badmouth the state just because I chose to leave...

I think it's pretty classless to come on here and crap on a very successful ride and a whole state and it's people....

fourflys
07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Long, very hot day, typical Indiana for July.

I always wondered why they don't do this ride in the fall or spring...

Auk
07-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Unsanitary lunch sag? Hmm, hard to be too sanitary when 1500+ riders are grabbing from it in 90 degree heat.

If you've ridden RAIN and not experienced at least one or two random acts of kindness from a complete stranger, you're doing something wrong. I have never seen a single person be refused water or aid from another riders personal sag support.

The route is the same route (give or take a few miles) as it's been for a decade or more. If the road was bad (and it was only for a small section of the whole route) blame the highway department, not the organization. Overall, it is a very well organized ride and there are some blazingly fast time put in each year. This year was a 6:30 or a few ticks below.

Spinner
07-19-2010, 03:33 PM
The Rain Ride is always a challenge (I've rode 3) and anything but boring for me. Yes, the terrain is rolling to flat, and corn and bean fields are not as striking as mountains or coastline, but it is a timed ride, so it's man versus the elements. It's a matter of survival ... and an ice cold beer or three afterwards.

dekindy
07-19-2010, 06:51 PM
My Garmin measured 2,800 feet climbing and profile shows one long gradual uphill from Terre Haute to Richmond with the occasional up and down.