PDA

View Full Version : Better for riding: Pittsburgh or Charlotte?

saab2000
04-08-2005, 07:55 AM
OK Kids, so yesterday my employer lost its contract for most of the work we do for United Airlines. That is bad. But being the eternal optimist we expect to pick up and work for US Airways. Let's not talk about that. US Airways is in a bad way and we all know about it.

Anyway, I am likely to be Chicago-based only for 6 months or so. After that it will probably be either Charlotte or Pittsburgh. I will maybe be able to choose.

Weather aside (presumably better in Charlotte, NC), which of these places will have better riding? Pittsburgh can get some nasty weather, but the rural areas of Pennsylvania actually seem otherwise to be pretty attractive.

Anyone with experience in either place?

CalfeeFly
04-08-2005, 08:51 AM
I live in Pittsburgh. The hills are great. The rural areas you would need to drive to and then ride. Sprawl has hit Pittsburgh.

The city has nice riding if you know where to go. I put in about 3500 miles or 4000 in the city inself.

I can't comment on Charlotte. I'd guess that it could be better. The weather sure is.

Serotta PETE
04-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Weather is Charlotte over a 12 month period is better. It can be humid in July-Aug. Mountains are close (90 miles) and it is rolling terrain.

It is also getting crowded. ( PA is great in summer but l-o-n-g winter)

PETE

saab2000
04-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Well, you can't have it all. Unless you are in Switzerland......

:beer:

There will be a lot of changes in my life shortly. I hope it works out in the flying business. I hope US Airways survives now because my future suddenly became entwined with theirs..... Long story. Too complicated to tell here.

Anyway, I will likely have some say in where I go and since I have no natural allegiance to either place, I want to choose the place with the best riding! :bike:

pbbob
04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
I did a 24 hour ride in charlotte last summer. I like what I saw of the city and the area over that long weekend a lot.

saab2000
04-08-2005, 09:47 AM
If I get the chance for Charlotte I will probably bid for that one. But it also depends on what is the most senior. everything in aviation is based on seniority and sometimes it is better to be senior at a junior base than senior at a junior base.

Dr. Doofus
04-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Charlotte!!!!!

Pitts has a terrible rep as non-cycling friendly. If you come to Charlotte, live in Rock Hill with the other airline pilots...you can roll with the Doof!

(who was taken back into town after his training crash last June by a American pilot who is pretty cool)

Kevan
04-08-2005, 10:55 AM
extended warmth always win out?

saab2000
04-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Charlotte it is. If I get to choose. We will see. I have heard good things about riding west o' Charlotte and that Asheville is really good. I like hills, but I also like flat areas.

BumpyintheBurgh
04-08-2005, 11:12 AM
It's The Burgh for Hills.
The suburban areas around Pittsburgh & Allegheny county are referred to as: South Hills, East Hills, West Hills and North Hills, so you get my drift...a lot of hills. I'm in the North Hills near North Park which has a five mile loop around a lake and more hills, great for training rides plus it's used as a starting point for longer club rides north into Butler & Beaver counties. The Western PA Wheelman http://wpebikeclub.org provide many ride maps for the area and have weekend and weeknight rides in the various suburban sectors throughout the riding season, so I would say the area has an active biking community. Don't expect bike lanes, except in the parks and road conditions throughout W.PA can be bad this time of the year with a new crop of potholes erupting. Riding downtown can be risky but once you get outside of the city of Pittsburgh, the terrain opens, is less congested and there are some scenic rides through rolling hills and farmlands in the surrounding suburban areas. You also have the infamous Blue, Green, Orange and Red Belts which circumnavigate the city in ever expanding circles to ride on.
On the weather, Charlotte definitely has us beat but I ride year round till it gets down to the 20's as long as the roads are clear. If you're in Pittsburgh on May 15th, you can join the Pedal Pittsburgh Ride, a 15 to 60 mile community ride which covers all the neighborhoods of the city and some major hills.

saab2000
04-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the offer. If I get to Pittsburgh it will likely be in the fall. I will be in Chicago for the summer. Or at least it looks like it. I hope that will be OK.

I have inqured about Chicago in the past and it will probly be OK. But I will be commuting from Appleton, a pretty good place to ride in the summer.

Charlotte or Pittsburgh will likely not happen 'til later in the year.

Ken Robb
04-08-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm sure you'll have a chance to cash in those free plane rides and check both areas before you have to choose.

yeehawfactor
04-08-2005, 09:41 PM
charlotte has long flats and fairly hilly routes as well. beach is no less than 3 hours east, mountains 90 or so east. mild winters, long spring, long fall. you get to roll with the doof, but the yeehawfactor must not be discounted when home on break. he schools in the nearby mountains for the sole reason of attacking on the hills back home.

saab2000
04-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Well,there is definitely some strong appeal to Charlotte as a cyclist. I have heard that western North Carolina has some excellent riding too, by Asheville.

Well, it will be interesting what happens.