PDA

View Full Version : Specialized S-Works Shoes

slowandsteady
07-18-2010, 06:24 PM
WOW!!! I just tried on a slew of shoes and was trying to keep it under $200 max $250. I don't race and am just your average enthusiastic rider puitting in 100-125 miles a week. My current Lakes are mid range and a number of years old now and they hurt my ankle. I need a shoe that does not come very high up the front of the foot/ankle area.

After trying on about 5 different pairs of shoes and not finding anything I loved I said oh what the heck lets see what $350 will get me - ummm, apparently heaven! Super-light stiff and built for my foot. I balked and had to think about dropping that kind of ka-ching for shoes...any thoughts on the what else might be comparable fit/quality wise to the 2010 S-Works shoe? Should i just go for it...anyone with some experience in these shoes?

...and if anyone has a size 44 for sale, i'm your man!

Z3c
07-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Follow your instincts; they are that good. The Boa closure allows for a very custom fit IMHO. I have had the last 3 versions of the S-Works road shoe and the 2010 is the best one yet. Buy them; you will be glad you did!

ThasFACE
07-18-2010, 06:54 PM
That's a lot of money for a pair of shoes, for sure, but comfortable contact points are well worth the expense, in my book.

avalonracing
07-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Everyone is different. If I had to pay $350 for the correct fit I would. Luckily Sidi and I have had a long and happy fit arrangement.

gone
07-18-2010, 07:30 PM
The biggest problem I can see with the Specialized S-works is that nobody has them (at least in my size). I've been looking for a pair in size 47 for a while and haven't found them to be in stock anywhere as yet.

Mike748
07-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I tried them on, said screw it and haven't looked back. Then I bought a second pair cheap(er) on the forum. Now I'm good for a few years.

Tim
07-18-2010, 07:52 PM
I wear the second tier Specialized shoe, the BG Pro- great fit, a bit less money and very supportive. Highly recommended.
In Canada there seems to be a big shortage of Specialized products, helmets, shoes etc. If the situation is the same in the US, you might be smart to grab the shoes now and not be disappointed later when the shops can't get your size.

Z3c
07-18-2010, 08:03 PM
The biggest problem I can see with the Specialized S-works is that nobody has them (at least in my size). I've been looking for a pair in size 47 for a while and haven't found them to be in stock anywhere as yet.

The Specialized B2B site shows size 47's to be sold out in both colors so unless you find them at a dealer you will have to wait for the 2011's. They will start being avail in August and will have the next generation Boa and some other small changes.

PM me if you want me to dig around with some dealers that you could buy over the phone- assuming you know that 47 works for you.

Scott

rnhood
07-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I would also recommend the BG Pro. Virtually the same show (except for the weird Boa system) and a considerably less money. Great shoes.

AngryScientist
07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I would also recommend the BG Pro. Virtually the same show (except for the weird Boa system) and a considerably less money. Great shoes.

this.

if you find the higher end spec. shoes are a good fit for you, there's a good chance the the lower end ones will also fit well. i've had very good experience with the whole line of spec shoes.

slowandsteady
07-18-2010, 08:52 PM
I tried the Spec Pro and Comp and they are nothing like the fit or feel of the S-Works (for my foot anyway). Nice shoes but not in the same league. ATMO they felt more like most other shoes in that they FELT like riding shoes the S-works just molded to me. shame as I'd like to put the $200 difference into some other fun toy (heaven forbid I actually save it!)...ya know in reading this post I think I know what shoe I need :banana:

pdmtong
07-18-2010, 11:26 PM
I have a 2009 s-works shoe.
I like my ergo 2's a shade more for fit, but the SW for weight.

That said, the s-w shoe is fantastic. you can order it from the specialized website. they have a 30 day NQA return policy. I had the BG fit guy dial the wedges and footbed for me. works great!

Its a lot of coin...but my rule of thumb is to spend money on wheels and contact points...that means shoes/pedals, bibs/saddles, and bar/tape/gloves.

Alan
07-19-2010, 07:08 AM
You can order shoes from the Specialized web site and they are returnable for any reason. I ordered a pair of Pros and they are nice shoes. They have some good features that help w fit like being able to move the top closure a bit to be more comfortable. Also they come in multiple widths which I didn't know. I am still deciding if they fit but they are returnable.

Alan

gone
07-19-2010, 07:40 AM
PM me if you want me to dig around with some dealers that you could buy over the phone- assuming you know that 47 works for you.

Scott
Thanks for the offer Scott. I'll probably wait for when they have the 2011's in stock on the Specialized site. I'm pretty sure a 47 will work for me but I want to be able to return them if they don't. Thanks again.

johnkjos
07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
After 5-6 pairs of Sidi shoes over a period exceeding 30 years, I recently bought S-works shoes and love them. They seem to be about 1/2 size larger than Sidi so be sure you try them on for fit. They make insets for them including wedges of various degrees. After years of after-ride pain in the ball of my right foot, I am absolutely pain free. The S-Works shoes seem to have more room in the toe area which apparently was my problem.

The stiffness of this shoe surpases that of other Specialized shoes. You all know that they weigh much less.

oldguy00
07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
I wanted them to work for me, but the outside of my feet were hurting soon after putting them on... :(
Shimano E width for me at the moment with custom orthotics.

Anyone try the Bontrager RXL's?? How does the mid-foot width compare to other brands?