PDA

View Full Version : I made a mess of things

Smiley
04-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Well next time I'll leave installing decals to the pro's cause its really hard to practice on a newly painted frame . So now that I have F'up my decals and tried everything to remove them including some fresh paint in the process , I decided to make LEMONADE with what I was delt with . Distressted decals is what I have . Yes you heard me correct , like Pre-washed jeans , I went ahead and scoffed up my down tube decals so they look like I had my frame kryptonited to every parking meter in washington DC . Yes the bike really looks broken in now even though it has zero miles on it . I'll ride my new Kogswell this year and have a PRO , yes that means someone who is experianced in everything paint and decals do it again for me next year . Right now I am more interested in riding my new fixee sooner then later . Its funny how a $ 340 frame and fork purchase compares to a Colorado III , this F & F weighs as much as any good boat achor I have used . Oh well its a training beater bike after all . Serenity now , Serenity now :banana:

Sandy
04-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Just read your post. Sorry that happened. I would call you now, but it is possibly getting late for you. When will the bike be built so that we can do some bagel runs? Tuckerman Lane into Bethesda? Riding this weekend?

Sorry Sandy

pale scotsman
04-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Smiley bud, take deep breaths and relax. It isn't the end of the world! I almost spontaneously combusted earlier this evening myself. There I was cleaning up before the wife gets back from out of town, and I scooped up the pepsi can in the living room, cause damn it's gotta be empty. Yeah right, the wee one left a 3/4 full, still cold can, and I'll be damned if the freakin' thing didn't erupt like Mt. Vesuvius all over the floor, all the way to the kitchen.

Good thing I had just dropped him off or he would have seen igmo, short for ignorant moron as my wife calls me sometimes.

Aw hell, go ahead and vent, you'll feel better! :beer:

Climb01742
04-08-2005, 05:06 AM
smiley, nice to know even experienced folks like you mess up their bikes sometimes, 'cause me, being a mechanical moron, i do it all the time! come on, post a photo! it'll be theraputic. :rolleyes:

Too Tall
04-08-2005, 06:28 AM
If you know it is getting a repaint next year let's have some fun with it. I propose whoever comes up with the best stickers get's first crack at disguising this rig so it really does look stolen....which is not a snack it's an illegial act. You know that the afterhours club cards go in the front spokes right?

zap
04-08-2005, 08:41 AM
:) :no:

How about black antique spray paint w

:banana: on dt
:banana: on tt (top tube NOT too tall)
:banana: on both ss

Then we can pick rocks from :) yard and throw them at the bike. Not to hard, but just right to scuff up the paint.

Hope Sandy throws rocks better than he climb's hills :D

Kevan
04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
not for the light-hearted:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3839&stc=1

eddief
04-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Hello Smiley,

My Kog P58 just came back from being coupled and now will be on the way to new powder. Matthew sent me a set of decals to apply over paint. Are these the ones you screwed up? Can you shed some light on the process so I know whether or not to try this myself. I would be quite upset to get the bike back with new powder only to f it up attempting diy decals.

Rapid Tourist
04-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Smiley, in the late '80s I rode a hybrid with a paint job that had faux black paint splatters on a white background. That was Big, man, BIG! Its a fashion statement. Better late than never.

Can't wait to see the new rig. Please post in the gallery when its built.

Smiley
04-08-2005, 01:50 PM
don't do it unless you are a freaking surgeon . Yes the same decals , let the pro's do it .
Rapid Tourist , black splatter ...never thought of that one , maybe they mistake the bike for a Pegoretti ?

eddief
04-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Right now the P looks like a bit of hell due to the install of the couplers. Paint was stripped back a ways to make room for cutting the frame and brazing the couplers in.

This thing is going to get uncoupled and smushed into a 26,26,10 suitcase. So now I'm thinking of masking the stainless couplers and simply spraying or brushing the rough spots where they were installed. Might be nice to have a pretty damn nice bike and not have to be anal about every bump and scratch. Unique in a utilitarian artistic sort of grungie way.

Too Tall
04-08-2005, 02:25 PM
http://sites.gizoogle.com/?url=http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7621

weisan
04-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Right now the P looks like a bit of hell due to the install of the couplers. Paint was stripped back a ways to make room for cutting the frame and brazing the couplers in.

This thing is going to get uncoupled and smushed into a 26,26,10 suitcase. So now I'm thinking of masking the stainless couplers and simply spraying or brushing the rough spots where they were installed. Might be nice to have a pretty damn nice bike and not have to be anal about every bump and scratch. Unique in a utilitarian artistic sort of grungie way.

eddief, where did you send your bike for the coupling, just curious? I assume this is a post-production coupling on a bike you already have, correct?

eddief
04-08-2005, 02:47 PM
retro fitted with couplers by Steve Rex of Sacramento.

weisan
04-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks eddief. I have talked to Steve before in the past about retrofitting my Ti bike and travel the world...but when I got home from work and saw my wife and kids, I knew it's not gonna happen anytime soon. :D

eddief
04-08-2005, 03:12 PM
the first place I intend to take the coupler bike will be to a little cabin camp on the Madison River between Bozeman and West Yellowstone MT. Instead of inflicting pain on fish, I will inflict some on my legs and attempt to cycle along the roads near the river rather than standing in it like all the other nuts.

And then...maybe a trip in Dave Thompson's hood near Spokane. We'll see. The best laid plans...how does that saying go?

weisan
04-08-2005, 10:21 PM
eddief, I wish you many miles of pure riding enjoyment and travelling on the road with your newly coupled P.

Captain, I am sorry to hear about the blotched decal job. It must have been a hard day. I can only imagine what will happen if I do it myself esp. when they pose such a challenge even in your capable hands. In any case, I hope you take comfort in knowing that there's another fixie out there that looks even worse than yours, check it out:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/apr/KristyR-4.jpg

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/apr/KristyR-5.jpg

Kogswell Cycles
04-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Well next time I'll leave installing decals to the pro's cause its really hard to practice on a newly painted frame . So now that I have F'up my decals and tried everything to remove them including some fresh paint in the process , I decided to make LEMONADE with what I was delt with . Distressted decals is what I have . Yes you heard me correct , like Pre-washed jeans , I went ahead and scoffed up my down tube decals so they look like I had my frame kryptonited to every parking meter in washington DC . Yes the bike really looks broken in now even though it has zero miles on it . I'll ride my new Kogswell this year and have a PRO , yes that means someone who is experianced in everything paint and decals do it again for me next year . Right now I am more interested in riding my new fixee sooner then later . Its funny how a $ 340 frame and fork purchase compares to a Colorado III , this F & F weighs as much as any good boat achor I have used . Oh well its a training beater bike after all.

Boat anchor? Ouch. Just for that I'm sending you the 'joke decals' that can't be applied right.

:)

Matthew

Smiley
04-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Geez Matt , I said compares , I never really expected this frame and fork to be as light as a double butted Nobium tubeset . Lovely though especially when comparing the price of goods for the intended purpose . FYI , I sent the frame back to The Color Factory and Pro's will paint a panel on the down tube and apply the decals you kindly sent me . I hope to have it built up and photo's posted for all to see . I think the bike will be impressive given what it cost me to acquire and what I'll be using it for .
By the way the geometry of this frame more so the cost was the biggest selling feature for me . This sucker will fit me identically as my beloved Hors does . It was hard parting with my Raleigh but the fit makes it worth it .

Redturbo
04-16-2005, 03:06 PM
So, what is the trick when installing decals? Everyone I know who has tried themselves have screwed them up.

turbo

Too Tall
04-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Busted.

We love to tease Smiley cause we like him soooo much so don't let the man off that easy KogsWell. What's his punishment?

palincss
04-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Well next time I'll leave installing decals to the pro's cause its really hard to practice on a newly painted frame . So now that I have F'up my decals and tried everything to remove them including some fresh paint in the process...

I've read that WD-40 does a good job removing decals from bike frames. Hard to see how it could hurt to try it, unless you've fully committed to the "distressed look".

kestrel
04-16-2005, 05:19 PM
I've always used a heat gun to soften the decals, then a bit of light rubbing with my finger to get the edge peeling. If there isn't a clearcoat, this has never failed me.

Sandy
04-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Looks like a bunch of rats and/or mice thought that your bike was a big piece of American cheese!! :) :)

Swiss Sandy

Dekonick
04-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Decals - the heat gun works wonders. At work we change our decal's every year. I have seen goo b gone and penetrating oil (WD40 as mentioned) as working wonders. If you are looking for a local painter you can always try Jack of Arts in Ellicott City - he has a pretty good rep for custom stuff but I don't know if he has ever done a bicycle before.

Good Luck! Hey - as its messed up already why not put fome forum stickers on there too? :D

vandeda
04-16-2005, 07:19 PM
So, what is the trick when installing decals? Everyone I know who has tried themselves have screwed them up.

turbo

You know ... this just came to mind. I don't know if this would work with the stickers/decals on the bikes, but back in my high school days I used to build R/C airplanes. To be able to position and adjust the decals, it was recommended to wet the area with soapy water. This would allow you to slide the decal around. Once the water evaporated ... voila, perfectly placed stickers.

Would the same technique work? I don't know ... but I figure it'd be worth a shot. Anyone willing to try on their beater ride to see if the same technique would work?

Dan