PDA

View Full Version : Campy 11 Easton compatibility

Dan Le foot
07-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi gang.
Yesterday I tried to mount a Campy 11 cassette on an older Easton Accent 2 freehub. It seemed to fit fine but when I tightened the lock ring the freewheel didn't freewheel. :confused:
Do you know if the two are compatible? Is a spacer behind the lock nut needed?
Thanks.
Dan

spamjoshua
07-18-2010, 09:51 AM
It is generally that a spacer is needed behind the cassette.

Joshua

Dan Le foot
07-18-2010, 03:40 PM
It is generally that a spacer is needed behind the cassette.

Joshua
No room for a spacer there. Cassette takes up the entire space on the free hub body.
Dan

Mike748
07-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I had a similar issue with a velomax freehub but I can't remember which one. The lock ring could screw in far enough to foul the outboard freehub bearing and put some drag on the freewheel. I ended up finding a cassette lock ring with a little less thread length to it and that worked. You could use a spacer or machine a little off the lockring so it doesn't screw in as far. Maybe try a 10spd lock ring?

Dave
07-19-2010, 03:32 PM
You need to look carefully at the back side of the cassette to see what is hitting. Maybe use a piece of paper as a feeler gage to find the point of interference. My guess is it's the 3 lugs that anchor the large cog to the aluminum carrier. I could also be something as obvious as the large cog hitting the spokes.

Either of those problems would normally be solved with a .5-1mm spacer behind the cassette. Even if it appears that the cassette take up the entire length of the splines, the smallest cog does not require full engagement of the splines.

The only other possibility would be a shim washer to move the cassette body further to the right. That may or may not be possible, depending on the hub design. Easton is the source for such info.

Dan Le foot
07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks folks.
I heard back from Easton.
Campy 11 is not compatible with the R3 hub on the Accent and Orion wheels.
Too bad. We have both of those wheels and are bullet proof.
Had so so luck with their newer R4 hubs.
Dan