PDA

View Full Version : Double Freewheel: Who makes them?

rugbysecondrow
07-18-2010, 07:29 AM
I am looking for a double freewheel for my single speed bike, and I know that White Industries makes them (the Eno Dos), but I am not really wanting to spend $100 bucks on one (if you have a cheaper one for sale PM me :) ). Does anybody know of another company that makes them? I saw one ACS that was a 16/17 tooth, but that is not enough of a difference to make the leap, I like the 16-18 or 17-19 options.

As always, thanks!

ergott
07-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Do you have enough room in the dropouts for more than one tooth difference? Are you using a tensioner?

Louis
07-18-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd stay away from ACS unless you can inspect it first. A while back I purchased a Shimano and an ACS BMX style single freewheel. There was no comparison in qualiity. The ACS was a few dollars more expensive but appears to be a complete piece of junk compared to the Shimano. Poor finish, more wobble, poor machining, more flashing, etc. I haven't had a chance to use either one.

rugbysecondrow
07-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Do you have enough room in the dropouts for more than one tooth difference? Are you using a tensioner?

yes, the sliding drops are sufficent. no tensioner needed. I think the WI might be the only route.

Louis
07-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I think the WI might be the only route.

If you haven't built the wheel yet you can always go with a flip-flop hub.

ergott
07-19-2010, 07:07 AM
I can personally attest to the quality of the WI freewheels. My rain bike has one and the quality is every bit as good as their regular hubs.

oldpotatoe
07-19-2010, 07:40 AM
I am looking for a double freewheel for my single speed bike, and I know that White Industries makes them (the Eno Dos), but I am not really wanting to spend $100 bucks on one (if you have a cheaper one for sale PM me :) ). Does anybody know of another company that makes them? I saw one ACS that was a 16/17 tooth, but that is not enough of a difference to make the leap, I like the 16-18 or 17-19 options.

As always, thanks!

Something other than 120mm rear spacing? Get a freehub type rear wheel, some cogs of your liking, some spacers,a lockring and build what you want.

dogdriver
07-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Having been thru this process, I'm pretty sure that WI is the only way to go for a freewheel (the dos eno two speed system of theirs looks pretty sweet, though I haven't personally used it and it is an expensive drive train). The flip flop option is good, or put two cogs on a "SS" freehub a-la Chris King or American Classic. Then, you'll have chainline problems, however.

Also, I have heard that there are systems available that allow shifting of gears from the handlebars...

rugbysecondrow
07-19-2010, 07:57 AM
I have a WI double crakset with a 38/35 chainring set. I have a WI single, but a double would be perfect for this bike. It will be a travel bike, so I will have to slide the wheel on and off anyway so setting it up each trip for the appropriate terrain is no biggie (road or off-road a little).

Thanks

dogdriver
07-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I have a WI double crakset with a 38/35 chainring set. I have a WI single, but a double would be perfect for this bike. It will be a travel bike, so I will have to slide the wheel on and off anyway so setting it up each trip for the appropriate terrain is no biggie (road or off-road a little).

Thanks

Sweet-- You already have the spendy part of the system-- I'd go for the Dos Eno setup. Guys around here who use it on mtb's love it-- a tall gear to get to the trailhead and the lower gear for the trails. No chain tension (same tooth count) or chain line (the whole chain moves in or out with the gear switch) issues. The WI freewheels are tough to kitty up for, but they last forever (I'm on year 4 using a SS freewheel and it spins like its brand new) and they can even be overhauled.

Maybe a 19-22 freewheel to go with your 38-35 and you're in business on and off-road!

DRZRM
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I have the same setup on my S&S travel bike, 42 & 40 rings up front, 17-19 WI freewheel in the back (with a 16 on the other side of the flip-flop hub for faster road rides).

I'd say just spend the money on the White Industry, they are very well made and pretty bombproof.

Here's a link to my bike.

IF travel bike (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=45902)