PDA

View Full Version : Best value in Campy-compatible wheels?

oldmill
07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
My Velocity wheels are going to need replacement soon, and unfortunately an expensive wheelset isn't in the budget right now. Any thoughts on decent values in campy wheels? Are Miche or Velocity Helios hubs worth bothering with? Tnx

wgp
07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
PM'ed you on an option -

Bill

Ken Robb
07-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I like Open Pros on both Record and Chorus hubs.

mandasol
07-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Though I love handbuilt wheels I don't think you can get a better value in a new set of wheels than some campy wheels from Ribble. Example a pair of Campagnolo Scirocco (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Wheels-Factory-Road-Triathlon-Campagnolo-Pair-Wheels-Scirocco-Black-Clincher/CAMPWHFR555) for $185, with the take7 coupon and even adding in shipping it's $240 to your door. For a couple hundred more you could get some Zonda's or Neutron's.

eddief
07-17-2010, 02:45 PM
but have heard good things here about them:

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/

itspeedmoore
07-17-2010, 02:49 PM
to be a good deal, they have to last. get handbuilt wheels made by someone reputable.

Idris Icabod
07-17-2010, 03:00 PM
I've seen 2009 Easton EA90SLX wheels for around $400.

jlwdm
07-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Old Mill:

What do you weigh?
What kind of riding do you do?
What kind of a rider are you.
What bike are you putting them on?

Jeff

peanutgallery
07-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Have a few neuvations, they work well and the stickers come off. No experience with their campy hub. Great customer service. Handbuilt if you have the cash IMO

jbrainin
07-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Nimble Spiders are a very nice option: www.nimble.net .

oldmill
07-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks all for the replies. jlwdn - I'm about 175lbs, I ride about 3000 miles a year (non racing) and they're going on an IF CJ. Tnx

acorn_user
07-17-2010, 09:54 PM
How about Miche Race hubs laced to a nice rim? If you have the money, Record hubs would be great though.

StellaBlue
07-18-2010, 12:54 AM
to be a good deal, they have to last. get handbuilt wheels made by someone reputable.

This is a total joke. I have a pair of Protons with around 30k on them. If that ain't lasting, I don't know what is. I have a pair of Zonda's that are following the same path..

thegunner
07-18-2010, 01:15 AM
if you're looking for a set to kick around and abuse, i can't think of a better value than the khamsins... they're going for ~140 on PBK!

oldpotatoe
07-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Or see a good wheelbuilder, get some Velocity hubs, Mavic OpenSport or Velocity Aero rims , DT spokes, made well..MUCH better hub than anything from Mavic, off the shelf parts, great wheels.

cmg
07-19-2010, 08:22 AM
check out bicycle wheel warehouse

AngryScientist
07-19-2010, 08:52 AM
the entire campy line of wheels are excellent, long lasting wheels, and the lower end ones can be had for pretty damned cheap from the euro sources.

ditto for fulcrum wheels. i have a set of fulcrum racing 5's that must have a billion miles on them, all trouble free, and the roads around here are anything BUT perfect.

SEABREEZE
07-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I like Open Pros on both Record and Chorus hubs.

" Thanks all for the replies. jlwdn - I'm about 175lbs, I ride about 3000 miles a year (non racing) and they're going on an IF CJ. Tnx "

From one IF CJ owner to another, Kens suggestion is sound for ride quality and performance...

fourflys
07-19-2010, 11:10 AM
check out bicycle wheel warehouse

last time I looked, they didn't have much for Campy... but, I agree they are good to deal with, I bought a set of Ultegra/Open Pros last year and couldn't be happier with them...

endosch2
07-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Not sure what you mean by best value as far as price goes but Ksyrium Elites are a pretty good value - for $550 I have two sets with combined mileage of 8900 miles and have really NEVER been touched as far as truing or adjustment goes. I weigh 175 and ride on very rough roads, including a lot of dirt sections. I wish I could say the same for my several pairs of handbuilt pairs. I think handbuilts are one of the things in cycling technology that will go by the wayside - I just dont see the durability. The reason they are so easily servicable is because you have to service them a lot.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Not sure what you mean by best value as far as price goes but Ksyrium Elites are a pretty good value - for $550 I have two sets with combined mileage of 8900 miles and have really NEVER been touched as far as truing or adjustment goes. I weigh 175 and ride on very rough roads, including a lot of dirt sections. I wish I could say the same for my several pairs of handbuilt pairs. I think handbuilts are one of the things in cycling technology that will go by the wayside - I just dont see the durability. The reason they are so easily servicable is because you have to service them a lot.

I build so many wheels because these wheelsouttaboxes are so unreliable. Krysiriums and their really poor rear hub(we do a LOT of rear hub overhauls on the FTS hub), replace unique to that wheel spokes(we fix a LOT of broken spokes), are at the top of the list. Compared to a well designed wheel..like ultegra hub, DT rim, DT spokes...for the same $550 or less. If ya have handbuilt wheels that are poor, they were designed and built poorly. Lots of people build wheels, not a lot of wheelbuilders.

cmg
07-20-2010, 08:35 AM
revolution wheelworks, Flit wheels and Nimble wheels have light wheelsets for campy.