PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Campagnolo Clear Coat

jkap
07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't think I sweat THAT much but I'm starting to have issues for the second time with a Campy UT crankset and the clearcoat finish which is starting to peel from the chainrings after less than a season's use. Has anyone else experienced this? Have you had interaction with Campy as far as warranty replacement?

rePhil
07-16-2010, 03:23 PM
You didn't clean it with Simple Green by any chance did you?

peanutgallery
07-16-2010, 03:41 PM
I have had the same issue with polished aluminum cranks, too. I have had the same thing happen with a NOS 9 speed dura ace, campy record and now a Rival. Anything that is polished that I sweat on looks bad quick anymore. Onset of age I guess

pbjbike
07-17-2010, 12:26 AM
You really get sweat on your chainrings? That's some serious wattage! :)

Dave
07-17-2010, 08:11 AM
There should be no "clearcoat" on chainrings. If the chainrings are silver, they are anodized - the same finish you'll find on any other brand of silver chainring.

The higher lever chainrings now have a hard-anodized, almost black finish. A few previous years had a dull nickel plating. Some people have had problem with the nickel plating chipping off.

130R
07-17-2010, 11:50 AM
you guys must be sweating a TON!

but.. what's done is done. start the habit of cleaning the bike after every use.

also i use this spray called 303 whenever i clean my nude cf frame. it's supposed to also have a UV protectant in there. i hope this helps.

jkap
07-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for comments thus far. I was a pretty loyal user of simple green but now use is sparingly--DON'T TELL ME it's bad for cleaning chainrings??!! The chainrings are not nickle plated, they're the dark grey, alloy and definitely have a clearcoat of some form over them. Where it's peeling is primarily arround the bolts. And thanks, but, no, not serious wattage...serious sweat!!

rePhil
07-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I use mineral spirits. Here's what SG has to say:

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum.

retrogrouchy
07-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for comments thus far. I was a pretty loyal user of simple green but now use is sparingly--DON'T TELL ME it's bad for cleaning chainrings??!! The chainrings are not nickle plated, they're the dark grey, alloy and definitely have a clearcoat of some form over them. Where it's peeling is primarily arround the bolts. And thanks, but, no, not serious wattage...serious sweat!!

Simple Green can cause serious problems when used to clean aluminum (in some cases).

All I use to clean chainrings is a soft cotton cloth. No chemicals.

pbjbike
07-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Kerosene and diesel are about the mildest petroleum solvents available. No issues in 35 years.

Dave
07-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Simple Green is probably the cause of the problem. If you're really getting sweat on the the chainrings, you should be washing the bike frequently. This is one place where WD-40 would do some good, leaving a light oil around the crank bolts.

The hard anodized coating came out on '09 Chorus/Record/SR cranks. It's not used on lower levels. A (soft) clear coating would never be used over hard anodize.

gemship
07-18-2010, 08:22 AM
to heck with the finish. It's a tool not a jewel.

130R
07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I clean my tools too.

I learned the habit to clean tools after every use from my mechanic uncle who has more than 10k invested in snapon tool.

Also dirt adds weight to your bike! :D

AngryScientist
07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
I clean my tools too.

I learned the habit to clean tools after every use from my mechanic uncle who has more than 10k invested in snapon tool.

Also dirt adds weight to your bike! :D

cleaning is one thing, worring about the finish on the chainrings is another.

i suspect that its more than sweat on the chainrings though, they are so low, they pick up all sorts of road grime, salt, dirt etc.

i wouldnt worry too much about the actual finish on the chainrings, just keep the rings relatively clean and soldier on!