PDA

View Full Version : Lance...

Kevan
04-07-2005, 12:08 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/more/04/07/armstrong.retire.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

flydhest
04-07-2005, 12:17 PM
I wonder if he can be his typical focused self if he's thinking this is the last one. It will be curious to watch.

my2cents
04-07-2005, 12:33 PM
that if he chose not to race in europe anymore after this years tour, that he would do 1 more year on the domestic circuit with a shot at the hour thrown in.

he would have half-way decent access to his kids, put some local races on the map, bring exposure to the domestic yearlong series, give him a chance to go for the US Pro title, fulfill his public commitment to discovery (but there are a million different ways he could endorse/support/work for/c. the discovery channel), give everyone over here a chance to say thanks for a great ride (so to speak), and give everyone a chance to compare lance man-to-man with eddy (and the others) with an attempt at the hour.

but as a dad of 4 and 2 year old sons - 8 hours away from them at the office is heartbreak enough and i fully understand his torment.

BumbleBeeDave
04-07-2005, 01:20 PM
. . . from today's wire.

Lance Armstrong, center, wearing red hat, rides a bike in New York's Central Park with Deputy Mayor Daniel Doctoroff, left, and Parks and Recreation Commisioner Adrian Benepe, right, during a media event, Thursday, April, 7, 2005. Armstrong made a stop in Central Park to declare his support for New York City's bid to host the 2012 Summer Olympics. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Lance Armstrong, second left, six-time winner of the Tour de France, autographs a baseball for George Louis Diaz, right, New York Stock Exchange supervisor of floor operations, after Armstrong rang the NYSE opening bell, Thursday April 7, 2005, in conjuction with the Bristol-Myers Squibb Tour of Hope cycling tour. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

This is what it's all about for Lance, now. Do you think he still loves to ride his bike? It will indeed be interesting to see if he even really follows through on doing the Tour. Note that he's autographing a---BASEBALL?!?! . . .

BBDave

e-RICHIE
04-07-2005, 01:27 PM
that guy on the left is pedaling with one foot out.
is that what they call contra dancing?

bostondrunk
04-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Hard to believe he can have a good season while doing all this publicity stuff, while his competition is actually racing...

pbbob
04-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Hard to believe he can have a good season while doing all this publicity stuff, while his competition is actually racing...
not to mention side trips to Italy to see a judge.

my2cents
04-07-2005, 02:19 PM
do you really doubt that lance can't manage his schedule? for at least 5-7 years he's been doing this. do you really doubt his ability to motivate himself or follow thru with a commitment to win the tour?

right here, right now --- lance wins 7, in large part because people will start to doubt him, his commitment, his ability. that will really piss him off. he wins and will be dominant (open to interpretation but most will agree that his performance will have been masterful)!

i would NEVER underestimate lance, especially if i had to compete against him in one manner or another.

oooh, i wish i was a betting man ........

Andreu
04-07-2005, 02:49 PM
think anyone is underestimating Lance but I can tell you one thing that is a fact.....a good racing season was not built on riding around parks with the local deputy mayor (worryingly the mayor in question looks like he is half-wheeling Lance with only one foot properly secured in a pedal). But given he (that's Lance not the mayor) is only interested in winning one race he will probably get away with it.
A

madbiker
04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I honestly do not think Lance will be able to win this year. He's older, less focused, I don't even know how much he cares about winning, as much as he does just getting the TDF over with so he can retire.

gt6267a
04-07-2005, 04:32 PM
i wonder what SNEAKERS lance is wearing? Notice they are both looking off the the left(their right). My guess is that they stopped or close to it for the photo.

k

dehoopta
04-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Look how focused he has been in the past isolating himself,weighing his food, etc. Now ne is jetsetting around with Sheryl......he could get his edge back, but only if he wants to. ARd that is the question

Bill Bove
04-07-2005, 06:07 PM
There are several Lance look-a-likes, possibly clones, who are used to full fill Lance's many contractual obligations to his many sponsors. The REAL Lance is in the Arizona desert living like a monk and training like a madman.

Lance Armstrong WILL win a seventh Tour. Nicco Matten will not be on the podium. Neither will George Hincapie.

Big Dan
04-07-2005, 06:28 PM
There are several Lance look-a-likes, possibly clones, who are used to full fill Lance's many contractual obligations to his many sponsors. The REAL Lance is in the Arizona desert living like a monk and training like a madman.

Lance Armstrong WILL win a seventh Tour. Nicco Matten will not be on the podium. Neither will George Hincapie.

Hey Gato Grande...who won Wrestlemania XXXII ???? :confused:

Bill Bove
04-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Hincapie made it to the semi's but pulled out to save himself for the celebrity death match with Derek Jeter.

csb
04-07-2005, 07:56 PM
... appears to me that the guy on the left is enjoying a
'saddleless moment'

yeehawfactor
04-07-2005, 08:00 PM
weren't the same doubts tossed about last year?

although to be fair i'm not sure how focused he actually is this year. maybe he'll announce he wants to be a pro bmx-er

e-RICHIE
04-07-2005, 08:01 PM
is he the mensch on alt.bicycles.saddlelessmoments.

csb
04-07-2005, 08:26 PM
... his brother michael, does contra pasta

PanTerra
04-07-2005, 09:49 PM
(worryingly the mayor in question looks like he is half-wheeling Lance with only one foot properly secured in a pedal).

Half-wheeling? What picture are you looking at?

Bruce K
04-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Big Dan -

With a teenager in the house I can tell you...

John Cena beat JBL for the WWE title at Wrestlemania. :crap: :butt: :crap:

Happy now? :banana:

BK

Big Dan
04-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Big Dan -

With a teenager in the house I can tell you...

John Cena beat JBL for the WWE title at Wrestlemania. :crap: :butt: :crap:

Happy now? :banana:

BK

Got me Bruce..I need to dig a little deeper for my obscure references..... :D

:bike:

Bruce K
04-08-2005, 07:49 AM
No problems Dan.

Just be careful what you ask for around here. Someone is sure to have an answer. :rolleyes:

With the amount of knowledge (and trivia) posessed by the members, you never know what you will find out here in our happy little world. ;)

BK

BTW, are you East Coast or West Coast FL?

Andreu
04-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Half-wheeling? What picture are you looking at?

The one above that Sr Bumblebee posted.
It was a joke by the way.
Do you know what halfwheeling is?
A

PanTerra
04-08-2005, 04:19 PM
The one above that Sr Bumblebee posted.
It was a joke by the way.
Do you know what halfwheeling is?
A

Those are the pictures I was looking at too. I thought I knew what half-wheeling was. Maybe I don't. I certainly didn't think it was two people riding side by side. I could be wrong.

Andreu
04-09-2005, 07:31 AM
The picture I have is of a middle aged chap half of a wheel ahead or in front of Lance Armstrong - hence the term halfwheeling. This is, at least in Europe, the meaning of the term half wheeling. Very irritating after 60 miles on a friendly club ride when someone keeps popping their wheel ahead and forcing the kph up and up.
A
PS If you have to explain a joke it must have been crap in the first place.

PanTerra
04-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Think nothing of it. It looked like he was maybe a couple of inches ahead. But that's very interesting, though. Evidently I have been using the term wrongly. I had heard it used numerous times as when someone behind you is drafting but their front wheel keeps encroaching, oh... a half wheel's distance past your rear wheel's backside, which could be catastrophic if you suddenly had to take evasive action, thus potentially taking them down. If someone beside me is inching forward past my wheel front wheel, they are usually just passing me, maybe slowly, I just let them keep going. And that happens a lot. But now that you explained it, it makes total sense - very funny.